Sponsored by: DashLynx

Stone guard removal mess!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 11:51 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Sagres74
Ouch! On my to-do list and mine is black as well w/ guards in rough shape.
You'll probably be one of the lucky ones. Someone needs to be
Old 04-17-2013, 09:57 AM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by vern1
It will at least take a respray on one side as some paint came off. I will also think long and hard about putting them back on....
Sorry to hear that, but after the respray, I wouldn't put them back on. The car will also look a lot cleanerwithout the ugly faded guards on. My car had them off for over 6 years now and there is not a single chip on either side. Besides, if I get a do get a rock chip, I can handle them a lot easier than having to deal with a total respray which is what they were put the "guards" there to begin with.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:29 AM
EntropyChaser993
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the stone guards are replaced at intervals less than 5 years this is not a problem. 993s with original stone guards still on will inevitably have problems during removal.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:44 PM
vern1
Drifting

I will probably leave them off and see how I like it. Undoubdtedly the car will look cleaner

And yes I imagine if you replace them every 5 years you would avoid this mess which is good advice for anyone who has already done this

Car goes in Mon
Old 04-17-2013, 12:57 PM
hkspwrsche
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The factory ones are in color and not clear like the replacements, correct? At least on my white car. You should be able to put the black ones back on if you use factory guards and dont want to paint. I wouldnt want to run without stone guards. There are a couple gravel drives in my neighbor hood and They will throw a couple rocks on the way back in when the tires are hot. Did you look up the rapid tac adhesive removver yet? melts and resoftens the glue.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:28 PM
bruce7
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by vern1
I will probably leave them off and see how I like it. Undoubdtedly the car will look cleaner

And yes I imagine if you replace them every 5 years you would avoid this mess which is good advice for anyone who has already done this

Car goes in Mon
The painter will advise how long you need to wait before applying new guards.
If you drive the car during that time you might want to tape up the fender area
with painters tape to protect the new paint. That's what I did. I used the blue
3M tape on my Arctic Silver paint and it stood out a bit but I only had to wait
2 weeks before putting on the new guards. Here in L.A. you would get road
rash from sand on the road within a couple of weeks without the guards.

I would treat the stone guards like a regular maintenance item and if you are
a DIY type of person you can put together yourself a kit to remove and install
the guards pretty cheaply. Once you have done it a time or two it's a fun project.

Check out my DIY I wrote a few days ago for some ideas: DIY - Custom Stone Guards

bruce
Old 04-17-2013, 04:26 PM
vern1
Drifting

Originally Posted by hkspwrsche
The factory ones are in color and not clear like the replacements, correct? At least on my white car. You should be able to put the black ones back on if you use factory guards and dont want to paint. I wouldnt want to run without stone guards. There are a couple gravel drives in my neighbor hood and They will throw a couple rocks on the way back in when the tires are hot. Did you look up the rapid tac adhesive removver yet? melts and resoftens the glue.
i believe the factory ones on a black car are clear. At least the ones on my car are clear (well they are more yellow now). I looked for the rapidtac before I started but couldnt find it locally so went ahead with the other 10 adhesive removers I had (which didnt work). Goin to the shop
Old 04-17-2013, 04:30 PM
vern1
Drifting

Originally Posted by bruce7
The painter will advise how long you need to wait before applying new guards.
If you drive the car during that time you might want to tape up the fender area
with painters tape to protect the new paint. That's what I did. I used the blue
3M tape on my Arctic Silver paint and it stood out a bit but I only had to wait
2 weeks before putting on the new guards. Here in L.A. you would get road
rash from sand on the road within a couple of weeks without the guards.

I would treat the stone guards like a regular maintenance item and if you are
a DIY type of person you can put together yourself a kit to remove and install
the guards pretty cheaply. Once you have done it a time or two it's a fun project.

Check out my DIY I wrote a few days ago for some ideas: DIY - Custom Stone Guards

bruce
We'll see what it looks like after a few weeks....once the pain fades and the paint is cured I will revisit putting new ones on

a fun project??

this was the least fun I have had on any diy project

but thanks for the diy thread
Old 04-20-2013, 10:42 AM
Seamless
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I apologize to the people who had issues removing theirs, but I had to post this...

They both came off easily in one piece. All original 1996 C4S (Canadian car = no sun). Hardly any glue residue.

Old 04-20-2013, 12:41 PM
vern1
Drifting

^^ i hate u - a lot!!
Old 04-29-2013, 08:31 PM
vern1
Drifting

Question Follow up to the mess

I just got the car back today. Looks great! First he repainted the quarter panel where the paint had come off. We talked about him just taping off the stone guard area and respraying that area but that would require putting the guard back on as it would be tough to make the respray a great match. Therefore I opted for a full q panel respray.

He managed to get the guard on the passenger side off eventually. He used a rubber wheel on a drill. I had heard about these but couldn't find anywhere to buy it. Took a lot of work to get it off. He said in the 30 years he had been in the body shop business he wouldn't have believed it unless he had did it himself

He also pulled a very small dent in the front bumper from someone leaning on it. Did all the work for $450. Not happy that it happened but happy with the work. Looks nice and clean without the guards so think I will leave it like that for a while

There ya go.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:23 PM
ble2011
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Glad it turned out well for you.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:42 PM
doberdog

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Great price
Old 04-29-2013, 10:03 PM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 66 Posts

Ironic timing. I just took off my black side. Got the plastic part off in 1hr. I have the residue left but it doesnt appear too stubborn.

It was 80 and sunny today. The sun really helped. After about 30m it went behind a tree and it got harder. Also maybe it was in my head, but when I blocked the sun with my body it got harder. As long as the paint was almost hot to the touch (dark paint = eeasy) I seemed to keep making progress. Both times it got shady it slowed down.

Glad you got your car back and are happy with the results.! Are you going to put new guards back on?

I have one of those wheels. I think bodyshops call them erasers. I used mine to get off some really stubborn glue on a truck before , but I admit I was too chicken to try in on my 993...
Old 04-29-2013, 11:09 PM
vern1
Drifting

Going to leave the guards off - at least for a while....

Price was pretty good I think. An honest guy

They should sell those " wheels" at all hardware stores. Might have saved lots of time and effort (and costs at the end of the day)

Live and learn

Quick Reply: Stone guard removal mess!!