Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

First DE day next weekend - any tips for getting the most out of it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 02:35 AM
stickypatch
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First DE day next weekend - any tips for getting the most out of it?

Probably a question for the race forum, but I spend most of my time here so thought I'd ask.
Old 05-11-2013, 03:45 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Learn?

Full tank of gas, make sure the tires/brakes are in good shape, bring food, be prepared to be tired by end of day (and ecstatic on your progress), and check in any ego at the door - its not a race, its an educational event...

Drink water, and remember to stop gripping the wheel so hard, relax into your seat, relax on the wheel, and listed to your instructors.

you will find your car may run better after the event - sort of like a bit of exercise...

Cheers,

Mike
Old 05-11-2013, 07:17 AM
G-Man993

Very good advice Mike J
Old 05-11-2013, 09:04 AM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

I'd probably make sure the brake fluid is fresh.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:15 AM
clib
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 64 Posts

Pace yourself. Focus on learning the right line rather than speed. Ask a lot of question. Ride with several different instructors if that is a possibility. Cool your brakes after sessions.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:07 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
check in any ego at the door - its not a race, its an educational event...
+1

-Set your ego aside and keep your mind open.

-Listen to your instructor.

-Get plenty of rest each night, and go easy on the nightly partying if you drink.

-Fresh brake fluid.

-Minimum thickness brake pads are necessary. Textars are fine OEM pads.

-Gloves of some sort help with steering wheel grip.

-Bring a tarp in case it rains in order to cover all of the loose items that you'll have to remove as part of your daily tech.

-Bring a folding chair. The fancy ones with a canopy are nice to keep the sun off of you.

Lots more tips than the quick list I have here. This is a good FAQ: https://pcapotomac.org/index.php?opt...tion&Itemid=39

Have fun! It's hard not to!
Old 05-11-2013, 10:18 AM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 434 Likes on 272 Posts

Be smoooooooth with your steering, throttle and braking. Use your brakes as efficiently as possible over the shortest distance in order to slow the car sufficiently to make the turn. Very important to look ahead and not "drive the hood of your car". You can't do a thing about where you are at a particular instant in time but you can do something about where you want to go. The track is nothing more than a nice road that they've allowed you to use the entire width. Everyone is going in the same direction and no one will be issued tickets for going over the speed limit...since there isn't any. Oh, yeah...try not to turn in too early. Most novices "early apex". Let the corner come to you...Don't rush your turn-in. For each turn, your instructor will show you the turn-in point, the apex and where you should be at track-out. Enjoy the ride!
Old 05-11-2013, 02:15 PM
bcameron59
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

after lapping, when everything is hot:
- leave your spoiler up to cool engine better
- don't use your e-brake, have been told this can warp hot hubs

+1 on all the above advice, especially:
- fresh brake fluid, good mechanicals, tires, brakes and a fulltank of gas. I'd use a new air filter too
- listen to instructors (apparently women make better performance driving students than men because one gender listens, and the other generally doesn't)
- learn the line: braking, turn in, apex. exit points... you gotta go slow before you go fast

also:
- don't lift off gas if entering a corner at high speed
- if you disregard the above, remember: "in a spin, both feet in" ie if you spin,fully depress the brake AND clutch! then get off the line immediately
- if someone is consistently catching you in the corners, let them pass you on the straights (if passing permitted)
- if you consistently get stuck behind someone who is slower in the corners, pit out (pass through the pits, then back onto track when ok) to let them get waaaaay ahead of you
- bring an air gauge, and compressor or spare air, and read up beforehand on tire pressure and handling

Like MikeJ says, you'll be tired at the end of the day... but it will be the most fun you've ever had with your boots on.
Old 05-11-2013, 06:09 PM
stickypatch
Rennlist Member

Thanks heaps for the advice guys. Just the sort of thing I was looking for - and Mike's tip about plenty of water is a good one. I'll be sure to take a few bottles.
Old 05-11-2013, 06:15 PM
eeterp
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
Be smoooooooth with your steering, throttle and braking. Use your brakes as efficiently as possible over the shortest distance in order to slow the car sufficiently to make the turn. Very important to look ahead and not "drive the hood of your car". You can't do a thing about where you are at a particular instant in time but you can do something about where you want to go. The track is nothing more than a nice road that they've allowed you to use the entire width. Everyone is going in the same direction and no one will be issued tickets for going over the speed limit...since there isn't any. Oh, yeah...try not to turn in too early. Most novices "early apex". Let the corner come to you...Don't rush your turn-in. For each turn, your instructor will show you the turn-in point, the apex and where you should be at track-out. Enjoy the ride!
Great points! My first time out I was braking too early, braking too soft and turning in too early. I wasn't smooth on the gas and treated it like an on/off button. Focus on the racing line and don't worry about "racing" the other cars on the track. Getting a corner right after screwing it up several times is very rewarding.

I 2nd the advice to avoid the e-brake after a run. Maybe leave your self a note as a reminder.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:11 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
Excellent advice! If its smooth, it moves, if it flows, it goes! Looking through the turns is essential for slowing down the speed of the track and enables the driver to focus on where he wants to go; instead of where you are.
Relax and have fun; you'll have great day.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:37 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 828 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by stickypatch
Probably a question for the race forum, but I spend most of my time here so thought I'd ask.
ask for a "good" instructor.
pay attention to their feedback

try some laps with a different instructor
pay attention to their feedback

have fun!
Old 05-11-2013, 07:40 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Pretty good idea to tape all of these pointers to your steering wheel.

Actually, I taped a map of Watkins Glen onto my steering wheel at my very first club race. I had never been to the track, I had no idea where I was going and knew I wasn't even close to contending for a class win, so why not go to one of the most storied tracks for my first competitive event without ever having driven there? From that point on, I knew how important it was to ignore all advice that some knucklehead named Manny Alban would give to me.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:18 PM
josephmonaco924
Advanced

Read speed secrets by Ross Bentley. You can dnload it on kindle. Easy read to learn smooth is the goal. Have fun.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:10 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

The most important thing: Have fun! If you are "scared" constantly, slow down until you feel comfortable again and listen to your instructor. Some things might be counter intuitive for you like ("stay on the gas" or even "more gas") but they can safe you from a spin. They generally know their stuff, particularly in PCA events.

I am just doing the PCA DE at COTA and have a blast. A very difficult track to learn. First thing in the morning will be going out with a good instructor. Even for advanced drivers: Nothing beats to get some second opinions and approaches from instructors ...

Have fun! Be prepared to getting hooked!

Quick Reply: First DE day next weekend - any tips for getting the most out of it?