Old 05-18-2013, 04:19 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by mongrelcat
Choose what you want.

The OP knows the difference, as do I.
The OP knows _some_ difference between PS2 and V12. The OP doesn't know any difference between PS2 and R-S3, for example. Which changes the equation pretty severely, while steel being "Michelin vs. Hankook", no?
Old 05-18-2013, 04:22 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

BTW, I need to dig out my set of Sport Designs with PS2 and sell them while they are popular.
Old 05-18-2013, 04:44 PM
jimbo3
Rennlist Member

Received 656 Likes on 387 Posts

When they were first installed on my 993, I noticed a very unsettling squirmy-ness with the Hankooks at highway speeds. For example, there was a noticable rear side-to-side movement after completing a fairly rapid lane change, which felt like a suspension issue. It definately was NOT confidence-inspiring. Maybe it's been better after a couple thousand miles or maybe I'm used to it now, but I no longer notice it.

Next time, I'm going to try the Sumi's.
Old 05-18-2013, 04:49 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Guys, could you please name the _model_ of the tire? I can bet my 993 against the pebbles between your tire blocks that you are not talking about good Hankook tires like R-S3. Otherwise, compare what you are talking about to a _similar_ Michelin, either by cost (good luck) or by positioning in their own hierarchy.

BTW, same with Sumitomos and everything else.
Old 05-19-2013, 04:35 AM
PNogC2S
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Wow. I really wasn't trying to start a tire-war thread. I just wanted the board's opinion on whether the majority of the difference I was feeling was due to the change in tire size or brand (those were the only to variables that changed). It's pretty clear the consensus is "brand". It sounds like at least some who have V12's have experienced the same change in road feel - that also confirms the "brand" verdict.
Like I said before, I'm going to play with the pressures to see if I can dial out some of the sidewall issue - I had originally set them at the same pressures as my PS2's so that variable was not originally in the equation.
Clearly we all agree tires are critical to a car's performance and we all make choices about the trade-offs between price/performance/durability. Nothing new there...
Old 05-19-2013, 08:38 AM
ble2011
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I experienced the same as the OP switching from PS2's to V12's. maybe they get better or maybe I'm used to them now, but I don't notice anything unsettling anymore.
Old 05-19-2013, 11:51 AM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think everyone missed when the OP said he'd put less than 100 miles on the new tires. That's the problem right there -- just haven't scrubbed them in yet. So, OP, just drive your car.

PS I'm firmly on the side of those who find it truly silly to spend $350/tire when there are $120/tire options that are 95% as good.
Old 05-19-2013, 12:53 PM
Knight
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

Myself and I know a few others who are running the Hankook V12s, no issues, complaints ever came up such as squirmy tires etc.

So far so good. In the past I've used the michelins, contis etc. For a street tire I would re-purchase for sure.
Old 05-19-2013, 05:01 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PNogC2S
Wow. I really wasn't trying to start a tire-war thread. I just wanted the board's opinion on whether the majority of the difference I was feeling was due to the change in tire size or brand (those were the only to variables that changed). It's pretty clear the consensus is "brand"...
I don't know what the consensus is, but the proper answer is "model", not "brand".

You are correct, will need more pressure among other things. But if you feel significant enough difference on the road you've simply chosen the wrong tire model (again, not brand) for your particular application. Sorry to hear that. If they came from a dealer that would exchange them within 30 days, go with Hankook R-S3s or something else described above.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:02 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 828 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by mongrelcat
I don't do enough miles on my car to compromise anymore.

There's a big enough delta that I don't mind springing for the better option.

If I only drove a few months out of the year, and/or in specific conditions, my choice might be different.
compromise?
or is it an informed cost / benefit analysis?

My V12s are good street tyres, adequate for DE / AX
My R-S3s are noticeably better for both applications

Previous set of AD07s were very good AX / DE, but sidewall stiffness = rough road ride
Haven't yet tried AD08s cause they seem to be out of stock whenever i want to buy them.

Never bought Michi's and probably never will.
French engineering?????

Cheers

Craig

Craig
Old 05-20-2013, 01:19 PM
PNogC2S
Racer

Originally Posted by nile13
I don't know what the consensus is, but the proper answer is "model", not "brand".

You are correct, will need more pressure among other things. But if you feel significant enough difference on the road you've simply chosen the wrong tire model (again, not brand) for your particular application. Sorry to hear that. If they came from a dealer that would exchange them within 30 days, go with Hankook R-S3s or something else described above.
They don't make the R-S3 in a 295 for an 18" wheel, so Brand=Model in this case.
Same reason I couldn't go with the Pilot Super Sport - no 295.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:06 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well, I'd go with a completely different brand before going with another model in the same brand. I mean, you would not buy Michelin Primacy MXV4 if they were available in 293s just because you wanted and could not get Super Sports, right?

Personally, I'd look at 235/285 combo, actually, for better handling balance and less understeer. In 285/35-18 you would have SuperSport as well as R-S3 available.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:08 PM
PNogC2S
Racer

Well, I'd go with a completely different brand before going with another model in the same brand. I mean, you would not buy Michelin Primacy MXV4 if they were available in 293s just because you wanted and could not get Super Sports, right?

Personally, I'd look at 235/285 combo, actually, for better handling balance and less understeer. In 285/35-18 you would have SuperSport as well as R-S3 available.
I suppose that logic is sound on some level, but I have the wheels I have and the V-12's have been recommended by many on this board, so I gave them a try...
My only reason for pointing out the size availability issue was that you were saying I should have chosen a different model, but that other model wasn't available in the size I wanted - so it wasn't a valid choice within the parameters I'd established.
I wasn't asking for recommendations on other tires that I could/should have chosen. I wasn't complaining about the tires...I simply asked for feedback about what I was experiencing with the ones I did choose.
I got lots of great feedback from others on that topic... and then lots of input from you about the tires I should have bought instead.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:22 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Got it. You are not interested in real life opinions. You are interested in something "recommended by many on this board". You got what you got, complain about what you got and, still, not interested in real life opinions.

No problem and best of luck to you. Sounds like a solid logical approach to choosing tires.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:56 PM
PNogC2S
Racer

Got it. You are not interested in real life opinions. You are interested in something "recommended by many on this board". You got what you got, complain about what you got and, still, not interested in real life opinions.

No problem and best of luck to you. Sounds like a solid logical approach to choosing tires.
OK, Thanks. Best of look to you too.

Quick Reply: Change in road feel