Sponsored by: DashLynx

Change in road feel

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 03:32 PM
PNogC2S
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Change in road feel

I recently replaced the tires on my C2S and I’m not really happy with the new “feel” of the car. Now the car has a slightly loose feel to it. I don’t mean loose in terms of cornering, I mean when driving in a straight line down the highway - it just feels a little more vague than it used to. It is a bit smoother over small bumps & road irregularities – which is nice, but it has lost that tight-tracking feel it had.
I had been running Michelin PS2’s and switched to Hankook Ventus V12s, I also changed the tire size a bit. I was running 225’s up front and 285’s out back with ’02 turbo hollow spoke wheels (9” and 11”), when I switched I went to 235’s up front and 295’s in the rear. No alignment change whatsoever.

I'd like to hear opinions on which would have the greatest influence on the change in feel of the car I described… the tire brand or the tire size?

This will be important to me because it will impact my decision on size & brand next time I replace the tires.
Old 05-17-2013, 03:52 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Well, you went from one of the priciest, and best, tires on the market to a way less pricy tire. The Hankook is, say, an 8, whereas the PS2 is a 10. That's one part of the equation.

Your change in tire size may have a little to do with it, but I'm guessing the tire pressure is more of the culprit. If you remember your previous tire pressures on the PS2s you ran and liked, you may want to duplicate those pressures on the new tires; they may not be the same and that's what's contributing most to the changes you feel
Old 05-17-2013, 03:53 PM
deekay911
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

How many miles have you run on the new tyres? Most will take some time ot 'bed in' and feel connected to the road. Have you done your front bushings lately? If not might be time to take a look, maybe the new tyres are accentuating some slack there.
Old 05-17-2013, 04:04 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,389 Likes on 2,510 Posts

Those are good tires sizes. Things might improve a little after the mold release is scrubed off. But the big difference is what goofball stated....the PS2's are just a much 'better' tire.

I don't think the front OEM '02 hollow spoke wheels are 9". They are 8.0". Right? Maybe that's a GT2 front wheel??
Old 05-17-2013, 04:18 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 987 Likes on 437 Posts

Good advice here.

Different brand and model, slightly different size (wider tires, even slightly wider, can change feel), tire pressures (different tires are "happy" at different pressures), "newness" (you need some miles to get the tires working as they should) are all variables.
Old 05-17-2013, 04:31 PM
BesideTheBox
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Tread block flex

You may be experiencing some tread block flex.
The way that I would describe it is that everything feels 'a little bit squishy' with new tires. Think that fits?

A difference in sidewall stiffness would be felt in the early stages of turn-in.

Tire design affects a lot of how the car feels. To answer your question directly, tire brand would have the greater influence in how the car feels.

I recommend that you give it some time. I would guess that you will both adapt over time.
Old 05-17-2013, 06:31 PM
PNogC2S
Racer

Guys,
Thanks for all the good insight. I realize that I went slightly "down market" on the tires, but I didn't expect such an immediately noticeable change.
As suggested, I'll give the tires a little time to settle in - I've done less than 100mi, so maybe a good run through the twisties will help scrub off some newness.
LexVan good catch, yes the fronts are 8" (typo in my original post).
I'll play around with air pressure a bit to see if that helps as well.
Thanks again to all for the suggestions!
Old 05-17-2013, 06:43 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 185 Posts

I run 225Fr/295 rr, on the same 996TTS wheels as you. Front pressure 32-34, rear at 39psi.

I'm more than happy with the cost/benefit of the Hankooks. Predictable, great wear, decent performance in all conditions...and very modestly priced.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:05 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by PNogC2S
I had been running Michelin PS2’s and switched to Hankook Ventus V12s, I also changed the tire size a bit.
Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Well, you went from one of the priciest, and best, tires on the market to a way less pricy tire. The Hankook is, say, an 8, whereas the PS2 is a 10. That's one part of the equation.
^^^This.

I made the exact same change a few years back and the Hankooks are just not as stiff in the sidewall as the MPS2. This is probably what you are noticing. As others have said, try different pressures (maybe MORE to stiffen things up). I tend to run around 34/40lb f/r. At 36/44 (factory spec) the car is really harsh riding.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:12 PM
MishaDesigns
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some good advice here. Are you getting any tram like feelings?
Old 05-17-2013, 09:35 PM
PNogC2S
Racer

Yes, the price advantage of the Hankooks is a big plus, but I'm trying to get a feel for exactly what I'm giving up in return.
I think Keith may be onto something with the sidewall stiffness, I think the change of sidewall from one brand to the other may have been also amplified by going from a 225 to 235 and 285 to a 295 on the same rims. Rear tires went from being at max rim for tire size to mid rim for tire size, so that will add to the sidewall flex.
I will try the higher pressures... since the car rides very comfortably now (34/40), I think going to the factory pressures may help.
No tramlining feelings, just a generally less connected feel to the road.
Thanks again to all for the input/advice.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:36 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

YGWYPF, is there really any mystery about this?
Old 05-18-2013, 12:25 AM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry double post.
Old 05-18-2013, 12:27 AM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by kjr914
^^^This.

I made the exact same change a few years back and the Hankooks are just not as stiff in the sidewall as the MPS2. This is probably what you are noticing. As others have said, try different pressures (maybe MORE to stiffen things up). I tend to run around 34/40lb f/r. At 36/44 (factory spec) the car is really harsh riding.
^^I switched to Continental DWS from Michelin PS2 and have not been happy since. I have attributed it to sidewall stiffness. The car feels loose in a straight line and turn in was almost scary at first. Adjusting tire pressures has helped, but can't wait to get back on Michelins. I have 17in and am running 36/40 vs recommended 36/36. I think that the rear weight bias of these cars make them much more sensitive to tire selection. On the right side, I am learning the dynamics of a rear weight biased car.
Old 05-18-2013, 01:09 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by mongrelcat
YGWYPF, is there really any mystery about this?
Yes. While there's no mystery about what OP is feeling (softer sidewall of a V12 that's been discussed here and elsewhere dozens of times), there's a big mystery as to why people feel that paying for Michelin advertisements somehow makes them better tires. There's even bigger mystery how anyone who has actually compared them can feel that PS2 are "better" tires than Hankook R-S3, Dunlop Direzza, Toyo R1R or the new and all around excellent BFG Rivals.

Most of "Michelins are great, "Continentals are great", etc comments come from people who have not really driven on other tires and simply believe advertisement hype or TireRacks clueless reviews. Let alone the fact that calling a tire "better" than another tire without discussing what, exactly, it's better at is just less than useless.

PS. No, nobody pissed in my Cheerios today. Just really tired from a day at Brimfield and drive there and back with top down (on Direzzas). And even more tired of people not understanding tires - the only damn thing that actually connects them to the road and by far the most important component of any car.

Quick Reply: Change in road feel