Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

new member crashed my 993 need parts help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 02:51 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBen
How about some pics of the damage?
You sure you want to see that?

Isn't that a bit like asking for a pic of Kate Upton with bandages across her face?

I kid of course....

I would look at any pic of Kate Upton.
Old 06-07-2013, 03:02 PM
Bruce SEA 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have some amber turn signals and the stock horns left over from my car.

Let me know and good luck!
Old 06-07-2013, 04:01 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sonny1
^^^^The problem with this at is that it will come out with salvage title, no good!^^^^^^^^^^^^
Maybe, maybe not. Just depends what your basis in the car ends up being once you're done.

Just throwing out numbers:

Value of car before: $35K
Salvage value in buyback: $8K
Settlement to owner: $27K cash + car
Cost to repair: $12K (guessing high, but play along)
Value of repaired salvage title car: $20K

Ends up being a wash. Now, play with the numbers in the real world of this car, and maybe it works out a few thou in the owner's favor. But not too much more than that.
Old 06-08-2013, 03:27 PM
ANTHONYCAPP
Track Day

I really want to thank everyone for their input and help, its times like these when its great that forums like this exist to help out all the Porsche members,
Old 06-08-2013, 03:30 PM
ANTHONYCAPP
Track Day

I really want to keep the car and fix it up, I have a personal attachment to this car and every year more and more are crashed and sent to the junk yard for parts, I have a moral obligation to keep these cars on the road. Even if I could make some money in the process I just think this our weighs it!!
Old 06-08-2013, 03:54 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

I have a used left front fender in polar silver that I'm willing to sell. Shoot me a PM.
Old 06-08-2013, 05:59 PM
Vorsicht
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
Maybe, maybe not. Just depends what your basis in the car ends up being once you're done.

Just throwing out numbers:

Value of car before: $35K
Salvage value in buyback: $8K
Settlement to owner: $27K cash + car
Cost to repair: $12K (guessing high, but play along)
Value of repaired salvage title car: $20K

Ends up being a wash. Now, play with the numbers in the real world of this car, and maybe it works out a few thou in the owner's favor. But not too much more than that.
I read a story recently on Pelican about a 93 RS America that was stolen. Several weeks later it was found at a chop shop (the guy went to jail). The roof was missing and some other items but other than that is was mostly intact.

The insurance guy comes to look at the car. He tries to open the engine compartment and couldn't. Wrote 'stuck' on the appraisal. Then he pops the hood, looks in and writes, "engine missing". The car was totaled. The owner asks, "I'd like to buy it. What's the salvage cost?". Appraiser: "$300".

You never know what may happen.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:59 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Vorsicht
I read a story recently on Pelican about a 93 RS America that was stolen. Several weeks later it was found at a chop shop (the guy went to jail). The roof was missing and some other items but other than that is was mostly intact.

The insurance guy comes to look at the car. He tries to open the engine compartment and couldn't. Wrote 'stuck' on the appraisal. Then he pops the hood, looks in and writes, "engine missing". The car was totaled. The owner asks, "I'd like to buy it. What's the salvage cost?". Appraiser: "$300".

You never know what may happen.
Jrichard's car seems to be an outlier from what I've seen for whole cars that have usable drivetrains, and are structurally undamaged. (His car also had the dash removed, if I remember the description of all damage correctly.)

Bottom line on that car is that he/someone could take what's left of my RSA #1 with the tagged rear quarter, an clean title, and 42K original and be way ahead of the game in trying to graft something back together.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:45 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,455 Likes on 1,026 Posts

Up front I would verify that the uni-body is strait before spending time rebuilding it. I have personal experience driving before /after a 928 and a 924s that were majorly smacked and rebuilt. They looked great after the repair but didn't feel right when driving them, both felt dead in the steering wheel and the body did not have the characteristic body stiffness feedback. The worst outcome would be to take the time and effort to reconstruct the car just to find out it is no longer a joy to drive and just having to live with it.
Andy
Old 06-08-2013, 10:27 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 338 Posts

Having been through the total-purchase from insurance company-rebuild drill with a '66 912 (A much simpler car than the 993), I can say that unless you have, or have access to, the appropriate tools and expertise, this process is not for the faint-of-heart. Make sure you have a straight, sound platform to build back to before you strike a deal with the insurance company. Otherwise, you could be in for lengthy, unpleasant experience that results in a less that perfect car.

Good luck....

Quick Reply: new member crashed my 993 need parts help!!!