Sponsored by: DashLynx

Puff of Smoke at Start Up

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 09:20 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,372 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by AKTUNG
I did and I do sell AMSOIL. But I mention it because I believe it to be the best.
well gee, that thought process is hard to follow
Old 06-25-2013, 11:06 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

If you use Amsoil's oil finder for a Porsche 96 993 non-turbo, you end up here:http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produc...?code=EFMQT-EA

which by their own description is for : "European Car Formula 5W-40 Synthetic Motor Oil

Full-SAPS European Oil for European Gasoline and Diesel Engines

Formulated for the lubrication needs of European gasoline and diesel cars and light trucks. Its full sulfated ash, phosphorus and sulfur (SAPS) formulation provides excellent protection and performance for a wide range of vehicles. "

If you look further you will come across this page: http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produc...tic-motor-oil/

For "high performance European Vehicles"

"European Car Formula 5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil

Low-SAPS, Low-Viscosity European Oil for European Gasoline and Diesel Engines

AMSOIL European Car Formula 5W-30 Low-SAPS Synthetic Motor Oil provides exceptional performance and protection for high-performance European vehicles. Its low-viscosity formulation maximizes fuel efficiency. "

so I guess Amsoil's expert's do not consider Porsches to be High Performance.

Or maybe my 993 is considered a light truck. WOW, I learn something new on Rennlist everyday.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:08 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by AKTUNG
Last couple of start ups I get a puff of smoke out the right exhaust. Recently changed oil, using AMSOIL 5W40 WHICH IS 993 SPEC FOR THIS CAR. Any ideas as to cause? I know sometimes it is a temporary condition. The car sits weeks at a time and is driven only about 2,000 miles a year.Have not noticed this before.No power loss and car runs great. I did add a bottle of chevron injector cleaner a couple tank fulls ago. Appreciate the help. Yes guys I tried the search function. Thanks.
Some might say that since you're an Amsoil dealer and since you're using ALL CAPS to talk about Amsoil, you could be using the forum to promote your business, something that would require a Rennlist sponsorship. I know, I know; of course you're not trying to sell anything. We've heard it a hundred times before.

If you had done a search using the most basic keywords ("smoke" and "start") for your question, you would have found a eleven posts since 2001.

Here, this GIF is for you:
Attached Images  
Old 06-26-2013, 11:33 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Some might say that since you're an Amsoil dealer and since you're using ALL CAPS to talk about Amsoil, you could be using the forum to promote your business, something that would require a Rennlist sponsorship. I know, I know; of course you're not trying to sell anything. We've heard it a hundred times before.
We need a new classification...we have "Addict", "User", and other custom descriptors. Now we need "Abuser".
Old 06-26-2013, 05:01 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,455 Likes on 1,026 Posts

A little puff of smoke after sitting for a while. What would Jerry say?
Old 06-26-2013, 05:34 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

If you had done a search using the most basic keywords ("smoke" and "start") for your question, you would have found a eleven posts since 2001.

Here, this GIF is for you:
LOL... I remember that GIF, haven't seen it in a while!
Old 06-26-2013, 06:02 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cabrio993
LOL... I remember that GIF, haven't seen it in a while!
Where you been, brother?
Old 06-26-2013, 06:31 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Where you been, brother?
LOL.. I know Bro...I've been MIA for a while. I do come by and check out what's going on from time to time, but it seems like no one is talking about engine trays anymore.

Did you make your yearly trip to ATL yet?
Old 06-26-2013, 06:47 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cabrio993
LOL.. I know Bro...I've been MIA for a while. I do come by and check out what's going on from time to time, but it seems like no one is talking about engine trays anymore.

Did you make your yearly trip to ATL yet?
Not yet. Not sure it's going to happen this year.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:27 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

Mark, every single thread started by this character end up in somebody suggesting to him to use a search button followed by an average of 12 pages of his "reasoning" why he shouldn't.

However, I must say that we have become much better at it lately. It's down to 5-6 pages before the thread is closed/locked.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:36 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 52 Posts

I'm just waiting for him to come back on, with guns blazing, as is the usual.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:51 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
We need a new classification...we have "Addict", "User", and other custom descriptors. Now we need "Abuser".
Ed- not the word I had in mind
Old 06-26-2013, 09:56 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by P-daddy
Ed- not the word I had in mind
Rhymes with "user" and "abuser"?
Old 06-26-2013, 10:14 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 271 Posts

Rhymes with "user" and "abuser"?
Old 06-29-2013, 02:45 AM
AKTUNG
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kika
If you use Amsoil's oil finder for a Porsche 96 993 non-turbo, you end up here:http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produc...?code=EFMQT-EA

which by their own description is for : "European Car Formula 5W-40 Synthetic Motor Oil

Full-SAPS European Oil for European Gasoline and Diesel Engines

Formulated for the lubrication needs of European gasoline and diesel cars and light trucks. Its full sulfated ash, phosphorus and sulfur (SAPS) formulation provides excellent protection and performance for a wide range of vehicles. "

If you look further you will come across this page: http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produc...tic-motor-oil/

For "high performance European Vehicles"

"European Car Formula 5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil

Low-SAPS, Low-Viscosity European Oil for European Gasoline and Diesel Engines

AMSOIL European Car Formula 5W-30 Low-SAPS Synthetic Motor Oil provides exceptional performance and protection for high-performance European vehicles. Its low-viscosity formulation maximizes fuel efficiency. "

so I guess Amsoil's expert's do not consider Porsches to be High Performance.

Or maybe my 993 is considered a light truck. WOW, I learn something new on Rennlist everyday.

Unbelievable how you managed to misinterpret what was meant on the sites you referenced.Here is a hint. A porsche is a Eureopean car with a gasoline engine. Some of you guys are so busy finding ways to criticize that you have lost perspective . Fortunately you are few in numbers. Heres another opportunity to do what you love. Have at it . Thanks to those who made helpful comments.

Quick Reply: Puff of Smoke at Start Up