Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Are Truspeed and Sloancars worth the premium

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 09:53 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

where else will you find low miles examples?
Old 08-13-2013, 10:26 AM
six gun
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NP993
The dealship that sells a 993 has nothing to do with the value of a 993. The car is either worth the price or it isn't. The identity of the seller -- an individual, a dealer, etc -- is completely irrelevant. I bought my car from a private seller. It would have been the exact same car if I'd bought it from a dealer. So focus on the car, not the seller.
Well said NP, let me say the same thing in another way educate your self BEFORE you start looking, know the questions to ask BEFORE you drive 100-200 miles to go get disapointed.

Good luck
Old 08-13-2013, 10:55 AM
justin993
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Allporsche
i recently had a terribly disappointing experience with Richard Sloan,
buyer be ware, at any cost...
So they didn't have any cars a $30K?
Old 08-13-2013, 11:26 AM
993Brendan
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 18 Posts

I always say that mileage is the yardstick by which people who don't know anything about cars measure their condition.

I think there is a $30k 993 out there for you, but as others have said you have to be patient.

I wanted a car with under 50k miles on it when I was shopping back in 2004 and ended up buying a "high" mileage car (78k) from a fellow Rennlister. No regrets- it has 110k on it now and has been a terrific car. These cars hold up better when they are driven regularly.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:04 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by NP993
The dealship that sells a 993 has nothing to do with the value of a 993. The car is either worth the price or it isn't. The identity of the seller -- an individual, a dealer, etc -- is completely irrelevant. I bought my car from a private seller. It would have been the exact same car if I'd bought it from a dealer. So focus on the car, not the seller.
However, do not neglect the seller completely.

True, the car must pass a PPI, and the car is what you are buying, but you can determine how the car was cared for, by knowing and understanding the owner.

If their garage is a mess, and nothing is organized, well, likely they are generally not neat or organized, so, did they do routine maintenance or put it off?

I have only purchased cars from private owners that were well informed/knowledgeable about their cars (when was last oil change, last service, what was done etc....) were neat, and from outward appearances had organized homes/garages etc... Did they keep records? are they neat and organized?

It is not a 100% accurate, but even the nicest appearing car, in the hands of an disorganized slob might suggest that something is amiss.

PPI is clearly number 1, but consider the previous owner and it should indicate, at least to some degree, how the car was cared for.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:53 PM
saneproductions
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 993RUF
Here's a car in Noth Bend,Wa. I don't know the guy or the car, but it might be just the ticket for your search.

http://www.pnwr.org/classifieds/adDe...d=0&ad_id=1775
I bought that one
Old 08-13-2013, 01:48 PM
skywachr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sacman
When it comes down to criteria, my wishlist is

1. Color: White/Silver
2. Tranny: 5spd
3. Body: Coupe, no Cab. Targa is a plus
4. RWD/AWD: either

Honestly, I would take car that was well maintained, especially with all the weaknesses addressed over the low mileage any day. I put 20-25K miles annually so it'll be tough for me to slow down the driving

QN

I have to question whether a 993 is really the best choice for you. If you're going to put 20 to 25 thousand miles a year on an eighty to a hundred thousand mile car you'll be at 200,000 in relatively short time. The car can take it but it could be a pretty bumpy road as far as maintenance, repair and expense are concerned.

By the way, 993s are 6-speed not 5 speed manual.

Good luck in your hunt.

Last edited by skywachr; 08-13-2013 at 02:56 PM.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:24 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 90 Posts

A time tested rule.......you are buying the seller as much as you are buying the car.

Passed on what appeared to be a nice 993 from a private seller that was a dick. Although a few rennlisters said for me to go forward on it, it is hard for me to get past that.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:37 AM
sacman
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by skywachr
I have to question whether a 993 is really the best choice for you. If you're going to put 20 to 25 thousand miles a year on an eighty to a hundred thousand mile car you'll be at 200,000 in relatively short time. The car can take it but it could be a pretty bumpy road as far as maintenance, repair and expense are concerned.

By the way, 993s are 6-speed not 5 speed manual.

Good luck in your hunt.
I often question the same; however, I think it mostly depends on the owner. When I bought my very first BMW, everybody I knew was against my decision about buying a "used BMW with 100Kmiles". I went ahead after lot of research and search. I ended driving the car to 280Kmiles and did the same thing with another car of the same model. Totally, I put up close to 400Kmiles in 12 years with just the regular maintenance that I learned to DIY from friends and forums like this. The beauty was that I sold these two cars for the same price I bought them. Now, I know that BMW E30 is a much more reliable and cheaper to maintain car than a P993 but financially I'm more ready as well. What i'm looking for is not ease of ownership but rather the joy of working/driving/admiring a car that most people couldn't justify the effort as well as money it takes. I'm driving a VW GTI right now and it's a great car but it's not the CAR that I enjoy owning if you know what I mean. When it comes to being an enthusiat/fan of a car, everything becomes less logical to common sense.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:22 PM
skywachr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sacman
I often question the same; however, I think it mostly depends on the owner. When I bought my very first BMW, everybody I knew was against my decision about buying a "used BMW with 100Kmiles". I went ahead after lot of research and search. I ended driving the car to 280Kmiles and did the same thing with another car of the same model. Totally, I put up close to 400Kmiles in 12 years with just the regular maintenance that I learned to DIY from friends and forums like this. The beauty was that I sold these two cars for the same price I bought them. Now, I know that BMW E30 is a much more reliable and cheaper to maintain car than a P993 but financially I'm more ready as well. What i'm looking for is not ease of ownership but rather the joy of working/driving/admiring a car that most people couldn't justify the effort as well as money it takes. I'm driving a VW GTI right now and it's a great car but it's not the CAR that I enjoy owning if you know what I mean. When it comes to being an enthusiat/fan of a car, everything becomes less logical to common sense.
That's great to hear. If that's your experience, and if you are a DIYer, you will love 993 ownership. They are remarkably reliable for a performance car. I think you will be very happy with your choice. Just wait to find a superbly maintained high mileage one and it will be a great experience. We all would love to see a RLer get up to 400,000 which, as yet, we don't have, although someone is just passed 300,000.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:03 PM
doublecabmel
Three Wheelin'

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

At the end of the day... They are just used car dealers.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:35 AM
jmg3
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Last edited by jmg3; 05-30-2021 at 10:24 AM.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:38 AM
justin993
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Old 04-23-2014, 08:42 PM
nowata
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 42 Posts

This topic drifted off course. Truspeed doesn't seem out of line. $47k for a 39k mile 993 c2 in black with a manual ? That's better than abreu Holt lux sport and other 993 dealers are currently offering. And i havent seen many private parties selling for less unless the car has higher miles. Assuming mileage is a good barometer. And none of these cars are standouts aside from some twist wheels on one or two of them.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:43 PM
Todynot
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by waydeki
This topic drifted off course. Truspeed doesn't seem out of line. $47k for a 39k mile 993 c2 in black with a manual ? That's better than abreu Holt lux sport and other 993 dealers are currently offering. And i havent seen many private parties selling for less unless the car has higher miles. Assuming mileage is a good barometer. And none of these cars are standouts aside from some twist wheels on one or two of them.
I agree, Truspeed isn't in the same catagory as Sloan and others. They have a very good rep, offer good cars and their prices are reasonable.

I think a visit to a dealer with a bunch of inventory is a worthwhile experience just to get a feel for the range of cars/prices. I visited Lux on Long Island today and it's always fun to see all the cars and scrutinize their flaws.

Quick Reply: Are Truspeed and Sloancars worth the premium