Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Are Truspeed and Sloancars worth the premium

Old 04-23-2014, 09:52 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 182 Posts

in today's market regarding these cars, these dealers allow some time to inspect before you buy. For private party sales, money talks, and bull****(PPI, etc) walks.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:25 PM
Peter288gto
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jmg3
buying from someone on RL would be way more enjoyable experience, just peruse the 993 forum and your car will show up in a month or two. Don't rush into buying the wrong car, or a car with a poor history. recent post on car passing 300k and was driven for real, so it is all about the maintenance/care not so much the miles.
Many guys (and girls I'm sure) would love to buy direct from you lucky Rennlist owners, but your just not selling! Time to share the love
Old 04-23-2014, 10:31 PM
Peter288gto
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jmg3
buying from someone on RL would be way more enjoyable experience, just peruse the 993 forum and your car will show up in a month or two. Don't rush into buying the wrong car, or a car with a poor history. recent post on car passing 300k and was driven for real, so it is all about the maintenance/care not so much the miles.
Many guys (and girls I'm sure) would love to buy direct from you lucky Rennlist owners, but your just not selling! Time to share the love
Old 04-23-2014, 10:39 PM
RichPugh
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DC from Cape Cod
With a $30k budget you are looking at a 1995 or 1996 C2 with over 100K miles...and a 6 speed transmission. You will find one.
He's right... I did.

Originally Posted by ehanauer
At 100,000 miles, a well cared for 993 is just broken in. Perfect for a daily driver. $30k will get you a nice 95 or 96.
Touche. Mine even had heated sport seats

Originally Posted by For202fly
Be patient and look at/drive a bunch of em. I was initially shopping for a WB, ended up with a NB I love dearly, Go figure. If your budget is strict, shop locally (ie within an afternoons drive), don't be worried about high mileage like everyone says. Just make sure it was loved and you will love it too! Happy hunting.
Ditto. I even asked a fellow RL'er to check one out for me in his area (as it was 350 miles away) and he very willingly did. I ended up buying it

Originally Posted by Magdaddy
in today's market regarding these cars, these dealers allow some time to inspect before you buy. For private party sales, money talks, and bull****(PPI, etc) walks.
+993. I was lucky enough to put a $100 deposit (yes... a $100 deposit, lol) to hold the 993 I ended up buying. When I got there, it had been raining and was dusk... the least ideal time to view a used car of any make/model, lol. The sales manager allowed me to take the car to a local Porsche dealership to have a PPI performed (on my dime). When it came back acceptable, my only qualm was a rust issue under the back window glass area that had not been disclosed (actually, I asked how the paint and body was and the woman I spoke with over the phone literlly said it looked "flawless"... LOL... I knew better but didnt expect a rust issue to be nondisclosed). When I asked to negotiate $1200 off, then $1000 off, then $800 off due to the cost it would be to repair that rust, the sales manager said "Look... I have 3 people lined up behind you to buy this car the moment you walk away from it. They've all see it and one of them even saw it before you did but you just happened to be the first to put a deposit on it... so, if you want it, its yours but its at the lsit price. Otherwise, it's the next guys".

The color, heated sport seats and low flying PPI issues sold it... BS walks, LOL.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:34 PM
Todynot
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 81 Posts

Here's one that may be worth a look:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911-...#ht_409wt_1238
Old 04-24-2014, 12:21 AM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 822 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by Todynot
I agree, Truspeed isn't in the same catagory as Sloan and others. They have a very good rep, offer good cars and their prices are reasonable.

I think a visit to a dealer with a bunch of inventory is a worthwhile experience just to get a feel for the range of cars/prices. I visited Lux on Long Island today and it's always fun to see all the cars and scrutinize their flaws.
Tru, not the same as Sloan?
They are still used car dealers.
I have been there (truspeed) many times and have hear some interesting conversations.
Caveat Emptor

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Are Truspeed and Sloancars worth the premium