Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Wheels...what the heck is 'ET'?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 11:22 PM
jakfrost
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys are both correct...I miss-spoke, ( miss-typed )...they are the Sport Classic's not the Classic II's.
The factory spec for those is: 17" front 7" ET 55 and rear 9" ET70 ( also listed at ET55 ?? not sure why )

Jim
Old 08-19-2013, 08:49 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 518 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by jakfrost
You guys are both correct...I miss-spoke, ( miss-typed )...they are the Sport Classic's not the Classic II's.
The factory spec for those is: 17" front 7" ET 55 and rear 9" ET70 ( also listed at ET55 ?? not sure why )

Jim
Early 993 came w/ 9ET70 rear and used spacers to move the wheels out to where they needed to be, later had proper 9ET55 w/ no spacers
Old 08-19-2013, 11:57 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 63 Likes on 25 Posts

Something else, easy to remember: OEM 996 narrow body 18" wheels are a direct fit to your 993. As an example the "Carrera II" wheel is a fantastic wheel, light and strong that fits perfectly, looks like its made for the car and can be had at very reasonable price.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:57 AM
jakfrost
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good advice Danny...as a matter of fact I just bought a set last night! Can't wait to get them on the car!

Thanks to everyone for the great information and advice...all good!

Jim
Old 08-20-2013, 12:48 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts
Default I am through with factory wheels*...

What got me here:
If you ever bend one seriously out of round, and you need to buy just one (1) replacement wheel, most guys want to sell you a set...when you only need one.

I have had about 4 sets of MY 2002 996 wheels...bought the first set when they first came out, from Porsche for about $800, in 2002...that price didn't last long. Sold that set when I convinced my self that 17" were the way to go, cheaper racing tires.

Subsequently bought 3 other used sets of MY 2002 wheels, over the years, and eventually sold them off.** On those three sets of wheels, the common thread across all, when I received them, at least one wheel in the set needed needed repair, sometimes two (2), and in one instance, one wheel need to be replaced. I got lucky and found the one available used MY 2002 10" wheels. Before selling them I had them spun up to confirm they were straight and true. They were...I had used them as track wheels and hadn't had any off track excursions with them. You can bend them driving over the apex gators (Not the 4 legged types).

To avoid any more grief with these wheels (Note Cup II wheels bend too...before buying them, spin them up)***, I ordered two sets of O-Z Allegritta wheels from Tire Rack, about $1,700 delivered. They are so beautiful new that they could easily sit on the coffee table in the front room. If I ever need just one (1) wheel, all I need do is call Tire Rack.

* I keep one set of Cup II wheels mounted up with some Hankooks as potential street rubber or rain tires.
** Sold one set of MY 2002 996 wheels to a retired Chip Officer out of Rancho Cucamonga. These wheels were perfect as perfect can get. I drove 6 hours one (1) way to deliver them...then, after we had agreed on the price a few days earlier , the guy grinds me for $200. He managed to find an imagined flaw in the paint color...I couldn't see it. I should have said no deal...but then I would have had to drive around the weekend with the Prius stuffed full or wheels.
*** Never buy wheels with tires mounted on them. If there have been any repairs to the wheels such as welding, you'll not detect the damaged area until, later...and you'll be pissed. I, of course, learned this the hard way. The seller would not take them back. I sold the set after having to replace the welded wheel.
Old 08-29-2013, 04:28 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

'mongrelcat'...are these the wheels?

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...All&sort=Brand

The fronts are 8" and the offset is 50...according to the calculator I would lose 4mm inside and gain 8mm outside.

The only OZ 8.5" are these:
http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...All&sort=Brand
Sorry, didn't see this till now... Yes, those are the ones. Not sure how to see all of the sizes they have available on the site, I'd call/email Damon.

The 8.5's are available in ET53, just search this site for '18X8.5 5-130 ET53'.

Here are the two main Alleggerita threads where that size is listed:
https://rennlist.com/forums/wheel-an...8.5+5-130+ET53
https://rennlist.com/forums/wheel-an...8.5+5-130+ET53
Old 08-29-2013, 04:30 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Good advice Danny...as a matter of fact I just bought a set last night! Can't wait to get them on the car!

Thanks to everyone for the great information and advice...all good!

Jim
Pics?!
Old 08-29-2013, 04:38 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Originally Posted by Martin S.
*** Never buy wheels with tires mounted on them. If there have been any repairs to the wheels such as welding, you'll not detect the damaged area until, later...and you'll be pissed. I, of course, learned this the hard way. The seller would not take them back. I sold the set after having to replace the welded wheel.
Agree with everything you wrote Martin, including the quote above. I tried to get some MY02's when I first got my car and had a similar experience. Owner met me at a tire shop, they removed the wheels from his car, spun them up and told us one was bent. Owner had no idea. He stuck to his asking price so I passed. Been happy on the Allegg's ever since.

Interesting that the Allegg's are 2.5lbs (F) and 3.9lbs (R) lighter than the MY02's too.

I do love the look of the MY02's. Those and the Carrera Classic 19's (below) are my favorite OE p-wheels.

Quick Reply: Wheels...what the heck is 'ET'?