Sponsored by: DashLynx

Wheels...what the heck is 'ET'?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 09:10 PM
jakfrost
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheels...what the heck is 'ET'?

Besides a favorite movie of a few years ago...

Since the 'rrrr-RRRR-rrrr-RRRR-rrrr' noise I have been hearing seemed to be tire related, and a subsequent balance check revealed both rear rims are slightly out of round, ( Porsche 17" Classic II's ), and the wheel shop wanted $250.00 to 'true them up'...I thought it might be a good excuse to shop for a second set of wheels/tires.

I have been looking at what is available in the classifieds but can't for the life of me figure out what would be a 'safe' criteria size wise for my '95 993 NB C2.

And what does the ET number represent? Any suggestions of what should work on my car? There are some beautiful wheels out there that sellers say work on multiple types, including the 993, but I would like to be sure before I plunk down up to $5,000.00 ( set of brand new Factory Fuchs, 19"...drool...), only to get them shipped all the way here just to find I have to order a bunch of other stuff to make them work, if they will work at all

Thanks for the help,
newbie wheel guy, Jim
Old 08-16-2013, 09:26 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

The term ET originates from the German word 'Einpresstiefe' which translates as 'insertion depth'. It's the distance between the rim's center line and its
mounting surface. One can guess that Einpresstiefe would be important in other matters as well.

Here is what the factory says about wheels.
Attached Images
Old 08-16-2013, 09:27 PM
JimPA
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

ET is the standard way to designate the offset of a wheel. It's the distance from the center of the wheel to the hub face.The acronym comes from a German word that supposedly translates as "insertion depth."

I strongly recommend you search this forum [starting, for example, with a post earlier today by nathan1 who's selling a set of NB wheels]. There are numerous threads, many including photos, about wheel alternatives for NB cars.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:37 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

ET is the title of an 80s decade Disney movie.....

Can I get a rim shot! We're here all week, try the veal,,, tip your bartender!
Old 08-16-2013, 09:53 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

That rat bastard Schnieder beat me to the punch (line)
Only I was going to say, ET is the title of an 80s decade Steven Spielberg movie.

jakfrost must be stuck in a time warp :-)
Old 08-16-2013, 10:09 PM
jakfrost
Racer

Originally Posted by il pirata
. One can guess that Einpresstiefe would be important in other matters as well.
Ha, ha no doubt...

Thanks for the .pdf file, at least the factory agrees that 18's are OK. Just wondering how much difference in the ride going from 40 series to 35's would make. We have some pretty nasty road up here in Canada!

I was sorta looking at a set of RH 3.6's, but they are 18x8.5 ( ET 46 ), and 18x11 ( ET 40 ), but sounds like I would need some 'offset' plates to bring them out to ET58 and 66? Or is it the other way around...

Originally Posted by nine9six
jakfrost must be stuck in a time warp :-)
Naw...I'm just old ...but 'busy living' !

Jim
Old 08-16-2013, 10:31 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 652 Likes on 453 Posts

Jim, I just sent Bill Verburg's Wheel Fitments file to your e-mail.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:20 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For a NB w/ 8"/10" you want 50 at the front, 65 at the rear. I like OZ Alleggeritas.
  • New (most,,, (let's just cut to the chase and say "all",) "used" wheels will need some help)
  • Lighter than (almost) anything else
  • Tough (they don't bend easily like MY02's)
  • Relatively inexpensive
  • Very, very Pretty

For Aventurine I'd go with --

Black

or, Matte Graphite Silver

or, Anthracite

Old 08-16-2013, 11:42 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

And if you choose to go with 8.5" up front instead (and I would,) choose the ET53 offset.

ET54-56 is better**, but unless you're going super low, 53 will do,...

** All credit due to Bill V. for that info
Old 08-17-2013, 02:25 AM
luckyJ
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

this site helped me to better understand fitment/offset changes...

http://1010tires.com/Tools/Wheel-Offset-Calculator
Old 08-17-2013, 02:03 PM
jakfrost
Racer

'mongrelcat'...you said:

"For a NB w/ 8"/10" you want 50 at the front, 65 at the rear. I like OZ Alleggeritas.
New (most,,, (let's just cut to the chase and say "all",) "used" wheels will need some help)
Lighter than (almost) anything else
Tough (they don't bend easily like MY02's)
Relatively inexpensive
Very, very Pretty"

But I'm curious...
Are you referring to 18"...? I used the 'Wheel Offset Calculator' that 'luckyj' sent, it shows that going from a 7.5" to 8.5" (front), as you suggested, with a 53ET, the inner clearance is 8mm LESS, and the outer position would EXTEND an extra 18mm. Do you feel this would be a problem?
The rear, going from 9" to 10" with a 65ET is no problem, basically unchanged, according to the formula.

Thanks all for the great info...you guys are a wonderful resource! Those OZ wheels do look awesome on a green or black car, my Aventurine Green has black, ( semi-matte power coat ) Classic II's and I love the look on the car, so the next set will defiantly be black also.

Jim
Old 08-17-2013, 02:18 PM
jakfrost
Racer

'mongrelcat'...are these the wheels?

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...All&sort=Brand

The fronts are 8" and the offset is 50...according to the calculator I would lose 4mm inside and gain 8mm outside.

The only OZ 8.5" are these:
http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...All&sort=Brand

And the front offset is 44..? According to the calculator I would loose 4mm inside and extend an extra 21mm...Yikes? They sure are pretty, but for the money the all black look pretty nice!

Jim
Old 08-17-2013, 05:15 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 518 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by jakfrost

Since the 'rrrr-RRRR-rrrr-RRRR-rrrr' noise I have been hearing seemed to be tire related, and a subsequent balance check revealed both rear rims are slightly out of round, ( Porsche 17" Classic II's ), and the wheel shop wanted $250.00 to 'true them up'...I thought it might be a good excuse to shop for a second set of wheels/tires.

I have been looking at what is available in the classifieds but can't for the life of me figure out what would be a 'safe' criteria size wise for my '95 993 NB C2.

And what does the ET number represent? Any suggestions of what should work on my car? There are some beautiful wheels out there that sellers say work on multiple types, including the 993, but I would like to be sure before I plunk down up to $5,000.00 ( set of brand new Factory Fuchs, 19"...drool...), only to get them shipped all the way here just to find I have to order a bunch of other stuff to make them work, if they will work at all

Thanks for the help,
newbie wheel guy, Jim
oe 17" fitment on a n/b 993 was 7ET55 & 9ET55 w/ 205/50 and 255/40 tires

optional on later 993 were 18" 8ET52 & 10ET65

Look here for more info or click on wheel info in my signature line
Old 08-17-2013, 06:59 PM
u7t2p7
Banned

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by jakfrost
and a subsequent balance check revealed both rear rims are slightly out of round, ( Porsche 17" Classic II's )
I believe you have Sport Classic wheels and not Classic II's. Classic's are a one piece wheel that come in 17" diameter; Classic II's are a multi piece wheel and come in 18" diameter. Go to wheelenhancement.com and look at the pictures of both.
Old 08-17-2013, 07:26 PM
BSL
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by u7t2p7
I believe you have Sport Classic wheels and not Classic II's. Classic's are a one piece wheel that come in 17" diameter; Classic II's are a multi piece wheel and come in 18" diameter. Go to wheelenhancement.com and look at the pictures of both.
I believe the difference between the SC and SC II is that the SC is 7.5" up front, and the SC II is 8" up front. The 17" wheels are one piece, whereas the 18" are a multi-piece.

Quick Reply: Wheels...what the heck is 'ET'?