Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Mobil1 to reduce windshield rattle???

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2003, 08:22 PM
Labatt
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mobil1 to reduce windshield rattle???

I brought my car in for a couple of odds and ends, and at the same time asked the dealer to try to reduce my front windshield rattle (it was getting out of control). When I picked it up they told me that they lubed the seals with Mobil1. Lo and behold, I looked around my windshield, and there were spots of oil dripping out of the seal. Got rid of the rattle though (for now)! I think I'll be spending a little extra time detailing around the windshield this weekend though
Old 07-18-2003, 12:28 AM
ksimpson
Racer

You need to be careful as engine oil can be corrosive. It won't do the bodywork or the rubber seals any favours.

I used a Teflon based spray on mine and it worked well. Best places for these types of lubricants are bicycle shops who usually stock a good range. Pedro's Ice Wax seems to the favourite of the US based members.
Old 07-18-2003, 03:01 AM
deltajetfixer
Advanced

Originally posted by ksimpson
You need to be careful as engine oil can be corrosive. It won't do the bodywork or the rubber seals any favours.

While the fix seems rather "unelegant" and messy, I would hope that the "Technician" used new motor oil on the windshield?

Would be interesting to see how much motor oil is required to be applied to the car body to stop ALL the squeaks? A good dunking might be in order, eh? Might even keep the leather from cracking!!!
Old 07-18-2003, 04:34 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally posted by ksimpson

I used a Teflon based spray on mine and it worked well. Best places for these types of lubricants are bicycle shops who usually stock a good range. Pedro's Ice Wax seems to the favourite of the US based members.
Is that true? I always though motor oil is quite the opposite (even used it for rust preventuion on my ol VW Surf wagon.

And one time, on my big ol' box van (for hauling motocross bikes & stuff) I spilled 4 liters of oil inside. Eventually that van had little rust here and there but nothing (and I mean nothing) where I had spilled the oil...

I agree though that using Pedro's Ice Wax (or similar) is way better since it's meant for chain & will stay there even when it gets flushed with water.
Old 07-18-2003, 04:38 AM
ksimpson
Racer

I know getting gas or diesel oil on your bodywork is not good. I would have assumed that engine oil is the same. Maybe the fact that Mobil 1 is synthetic may mean that's ok. However, I still wouldn't use it to treat the windscreen creak.
Old 07-18-2003, 07:08 AM
Labatt
Instructor

I can just see it.. another car on a lift getting an oil change.. a tube where the catch basin would normally be, and the technician holding the other end over my windshield. I didn't ask if it was used or new oil, and I seriously don't want to know. It was a warranty fix, so I never bothered to ask them in advance how they were going to approach the problem. I sure hope the oil isn't corrosive in nature cuz it would really suck to have the windshield blow out on me while driving down the highway 5 years from now.

By the way, I always though synthetic was just regular oil with teflon added to make it slippier. Just kidding...
Old 07-18-2003, 08:30 AM
tom_993
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can totally see oil solving the problem. For a while, I used wheel bearing grease. This was before Pedro’s became popular. Silicone spray works, but like Pedro’s, it washes out quickly. The wheel bearing grease stays in there for long, long time. The only problem I found using it was cleaning up the extra grease that seeped out after it was applied.

Tom
’95 993
Old 07-18-2003, 08:59 AM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 278 Likes on 139 Posts

I used to think Pedro's Ice Wax was the solution, but in the end, it and "mobil 1" are just silly if you consider how easy it is to get the "rope kit" in there and cure the problem for (almost) ever.

I got one from a member of this board, not sure what they cost ($30?) and you can install it yourself in 10 minutes and solve this for good ! At least for longer than the Ice wax, so far... I used to think you had to remove the windshield to do this, but not, it's super easy to do...
Old 07-18-2003, 09:14 AM
tom_993
Burning Brakes

Greg, I did the rope thing and it made almost no difference at all.

Tom
'95 993
Old 07-18-2003, 09:53 AM
Vinny '98 3.8 C2S
Racer

I don't think motor oil, either synthetic or "normal" has any effect on a car's finish.
Old 07-18-2003, 10:00 AM
stedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey, let's hear it for bike stuff, anyway!
Old 07-18-2003, 10:48 AM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb

makes me think of chris rock & how his dad would put "robetusin" (cough med.) on every thing incl. his broken arm..............wonder what other dual-usage things your dealer might be pulling. i'd be a little pissed if my wind sheild had oil on it. geeze... just don't go in there if your cd changer is skipping... ha ha

btw: wouldn't k-y jelly work? at least it's clear. something to think about.

Old 07-18-2003, 11:27 AM
ZCAT3
Three Wheelin'

Hmm - what about Petroleum Jelly - a la Vaseline - I put that on my feet before running and it prevents blisters. I have also been told that I helps heep the older 911 Fuchs rims nice and shiny.
Old 07-18-2003, 11:56 AM
tom_993
Burning Brakes

I've heard that Windex can cure a lot of skin conditions...

Tom
'95 993
Old 07-18-2003, 12:02 PM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

I wonder if the oil might harm the rubber of the surround, also.

Quick Reply: Mobil1 to reduce windshield rattle???