Sponsored by: DashLynx

Very nice 911-specific cell phone/Ipod/GPS mount installed

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 04:31 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Very nice 911-specific cell phone/Ipod/GPS mount installed

Before I dropped my motor, I ordered an "electronics mount" from Bill @ www.pcarmounts.com . Bill's also a Rennlister. I must say, this is a well thought out product, and it simply works by doing what he says it does, and by being well made-no shortcuts in machining, support items provided or in the finish quality. The minute you open the box, you'll see it has all you need, and it's all well-packaged.

It comes with the "universal ball mount" (MED?), so all you need is a unit with the female receiver, or some kind of bracket that does. I bought a universal mount on Amazon for $20 or 25-it looks like it would hold most phones vertically or horizontally. Except Javier's (niche) big screen phone...

It even comes with a double-ended pry bar for clock removal. That was the hardest part-it simply took about 5 or 10 minutes of patience to unlock it's 20 year seal. There's some gummy substance on the exterior of the clock, when you remove-my guess is it is some kind of lube Porsche uses to install and gums up over time. Once you break it loose, it walks out pretty easily. Total install is <30 minutes.

Removal of the two cables is easy, and then a few minutes to clean the goop off, and you're installing. I used the bracket and a square to make sure my clock was vertical.

There's a support arm that bolts to the main bracket that pics up a hidden fastener under the top lip of the dash pad. The angle and shape was perfect-it tucks up along the dash pad like it was factory.

If you have to see your radio screen constantly for some reason, I suppose this could impair you a bit. If you need to see your defrost ****, same thing-but nothing is covered nor are you unable to access anything.

I don't always listen to music or radio-if I do, it's typically Sirius on my phone or my Ipod. I used to lay them on the console under the parking brake-not the safest place, or easiest to see. But, I do use my phone GPS fairly regularly, so having it right there is nice! My .02.....if you're looking for something like this, I think it works very well, and is 100% reversible if you need to. Two thumbs up!
Attached Images            
Old 02-01-2014, 07:42 PM
Opo
Nordschleife Master

Received 207 Likes on 76 Posts

Yes ! I agreed with you a 100% Ed, heck even the box the thing comes on is amazing, just by seeing the box I knew this product was made with perfection
Old 02-01-2014, 08:02 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 271 Posts

That's a very clean install, Ed. When you drive, does it vibrate/buzz and make the screen hard to see?
Old 02-01-2014, 09:52 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Opo
Yes ! I agreed with you a 100% Ed, heck even the box the thing comes on is amazing, just by seeing the box I knew this product was made with perfection
I shoulda taken a pic of how it looked in the box! Here's the empty....

Originally Posted by P-daddy
That's a very clean install, Ed. When you drive, does it vibrate/buzz and make the screen hard to see?
Not at all Nam, it is as solid as the car.
Attached Images  
Old 02-02-2014, 02:40 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Threw the GPS on today, it's a good spot-don't have to compromise visibility sticking it to the windshield.
Attached Images   
Old 02-02-2014, 03:03 PM
Holger3.2
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 167 Posts

No offense, but a nice expensive box might be a good teaser but says nothing about the product, it just adds to the costs ...

therefore I have developed an alternative solution, works extremely well too; might come out to $5 total ...

but therefore ultralight; maybe more for the racer here ...

Edit says that improvement is still possible, one screw might be already enough ...
another 3 grams down....
Old 02-02-2014, 03:10 PM
asofine
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Holger3.2
Well this solution ain't pretty, but if it works...

Anyway, I desperately need a workable solution for my car and have been contemplating one of Bill's mounts, but the price is a bit of a scare factor. To be clear, I'm sure these mounts are incredibly expensive to produce in low volume, so it's no shot at Bill, but $140+ ain't an inexpensive solution whatever way you look at it.
Old 02-02-2014, 03:15 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Sorry, I like the looks of mine better. Yep, I'm sure the box added a couple of bucks. That doesn't change the fact it is a well thought out and executed product, and works in our interiors pretty well. As to weight, it cant weigh more that 6 or 8 oz, and if I have nothing on it, doesn't effect visibility out front.

Since I've been holding tight at about 210lbs, instead of 220lbs, my car's still faster as a package, than before.
Old 02-02-2014, 03:21 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by asofine
Well this solution ain't pretty, but if it works...

Anyway, I desperately need a workable solution for my car and have been contemplating one of Bill's mounts, but the price is a bit of a scare factor. To be clear, I'm sure these mounts are incredibly expensive to produce in low volume, so it's no shot at Bill, but $140+ ain't an inexpensive solution whatever way you look at it.
I guess one potentially pays more for something that doesn't suck on to the window or clip to a 20 year old plastic vent. I chalk it up to Porsche cost. I mean, I spent $1000 for brake PARTS, and probably $3500 on PARTS for my clutch project. $140 is a bargain for something that has some utility and styling built into it, IMO.
Old 02-02-2014, 03:34 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They're all pretty obtrusive and look out of place.
Old 02-02-2014, 04:20 PM
csmab
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

This is a quality product. Bill showed up to the Dallas 993 gathering a couple of weeks ago. He did a demo of his mount to those that attended. Very nice product. Bill uses his 993 as a daily driver. He had a real need for a useable GPS mount.
Old 02-02-2014, 06:16 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Does it impede the view of the radio as shown in the picture? I do not think I like that. I'd like to find something like this for my Samsung 4S
Old 02-02-2014, 06:31 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vincer77
Does it impede the view of the radio as shown in the picture? I do not think I like that. I'd like to find something like this for my Samsung 4S
I noted that in my first post, the view of the radio may be impaired if you need to look at it constantly. I only access my volume ****, if I have mine on.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:11 PM
John Rygg
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Seems expensive for a phone holder
Old 02-03-2014, 08:23 PM
epj993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting design. But, I found this to be a very clean mounting solution that fits a variety of phones. And it works great.

http://www.kenu.com/products/airframe

Quick Reply: Very nice 911-specific cell phone/Ipod/GPS mount installed