Lemons to Lemonade

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 09:25 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 511 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksparrow
I do like the Euro rear end... but it has to be modified to fit, something cut under the bumperetes, right? My body guy didn't think it was a big deal, but mentioned it to me... what exactly has to happen?

And I actually saw someone else who had posted who has Sport Cat X-pipe with the Stage I's who said it was perfect... that is a real consideration for me, thank you for mentioning it. Can I ask, is it because the Sport Cat adds to the soundstage and makes them louder than with stock cats or?

The cars look great
Thank you! Yes, the rebar has to be trimmed, but it's a simple procedure.

Exhaust sound is a very personal thing. Being that you're in LA I'm sure you'll find several 'Listers who can give you a sound bite in person.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:34 PM
TheBen
Drifting

Received 126 Likes on 94 Posts

I have pss10 and fister 2s. Highly recommended!
Old 02-20-2014, 12:01 AM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

Relatively new Yokahama's, not sure of exact make (came on car, planned to change), on 17 inch cups... not more that 2k on tires
Age and mileage can be very different things, UV dries rubber out. Not saying tires are the culprit, but dried out rubber wouldn't have helped matters in slick conditions either.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:58 AM
csmab
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

Go with the turbo front bumper. Looks great on all 993's.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:56 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 512 Likes on 352 Posts

Bill, alway appreciate your insights here... will look into the bushings, is there a reason you like the rubber vs the urethane type? Too hard for street or?

I have read many of your thoughts on track suspension in your other posts and that helped me understand where I wanted to take this.

As far as rear end, are these factory "RS A arms and KT arms, make sure that the others are in good shape(the toe arm is the first to go)"

Is this for the bushings or is there something different on these arms, sorry if that is a lame question...

Guessing Pelican or Sunset to source... might have to make this Phase 2.

And leaning towards the euro rear end... glad to get the votes/opinions on that in
Yes, the sport rubber bushes are perfect for a street and even for a heavily tracked car, this the way the Cups were done, Despite all the people that blindly use pu it is not a good material to use for bushes, it's sole plus is that it is cheap, and so is used in lieu of more appropriate materials.

the RS used sport rubber bushes on the trailing leg of the track arm, the leading leg has a sealed monoball joint on both the Rs and normal, The RS also used a sport rubber bush on the kt arm. These two bushes minimized the rear steer characteristic of a stock 993 that so many of use detest. All the other rear bushes are the same on RS and normal, but they do deteriorate w/ age, particularly the toe arm.

In front the RS used sport rubber on the trailing arm and the softer street rubber on the leading arm, I'd use sport rubber on both, it is really the best way to go there
Old 02-20-2014, 12:54 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts

Frankly, I would start with a good shop like DC Autocraft in Burbank that has a Cellette rack to check the tub for straightness and make sure the car is correct before going into a dream list of mods that would be like putting lipstick on a pig if the tub is bent.

It takes surprisingly little force to bend the tub.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:05 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 824 Likes on 540 Posts

I was facing a big tree and was perpendicular to traffic, thinking I had come to rest when I realized it was just a pause in the space time continuum… all the weight shifted… and holy s*** I am still moving and completely helpless, the momentum that had sent me into the retaining wall was transferred, the front end released itself, as the back end came around incredibly fast, the engine weight carried the rear of car 180 and completely spun me, as the car slammed into the same retaining wall, now with the back end… I am dumbfounded. I sit drivers door facing into oncoming traffic and the line of cars behind me starts to come around the bend and narrowly miss me… good times
Sorry to hear about this incident.

Do you write SF for a living???
".....just a pause in the space time continuum".

My advice?
  • Get the tub checked for straightness as suggested
  • Troll through lottsa threads with photo's to decide exactly what body-look you really want before committing to a path. RS / RSR / Club Sport / Turbo look / Stock????????????????

Lottsa options.

Have fun.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:37 PM
blacksparrow
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Guys -

Picking this thread back up for a minute...

The rear end of car is apart to get PSS10's in... considering doing the rear end arms while in there. Bill V recommended new RS - A arms and new RS - KT arms in this thread... plus having a good look at the Toe arms. Any other thoughts/options?

Do the RS arms dictate a specific ride height vs the originals?

Also do the RS arms have to be aligned the same way?

I am slightly worried to goo too low, as I have a funky driveway that is almost like a speed bump that rises up, then goes down a slope before it gets flat... worried RS height might get me too lo, as I am just clearing at 4x4 height. This was one of my considerations for the PSS10 adjustability... as I may have to negotiate the lowing/lift a bit to get it right.

Any differences besides the bushing hardness I am missing vs stck?

Lastly, thoughts sources to buy from or additional parts I missed?

Just thinking since the bushes are hitting 20 year, might want this done, so thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 04-22-2014, 07:50 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Do the RS arms dictate a specific ride height vs the originals?
No they are the same part as the originals but w/ stiffer bushes on the inboard end

Also do the RS arms have to be aligned the same way?
yes, exactly the same as original

the ride height specific stuff is the front RS wheel carriers and the sways which need to be placed beneath the arms on really low cars

I am slightly worried to goo too low, as I have a funky driveway that is almost like a speed bump that rises up, then goes down a slope before it gets flat... worried RS height might get me too lo, as I am just clearing at 4x4 height. This was one of my considerations for the PSS10 adjustability... as I may have to negotiate the lowing/lift a bit to get it right.
That's a tough one, my drive has a transition that I need to go into at an angle, the car is on 3 wheels part of the time but your experience may be very different
Old 04-22-2014, 08:09 PM
blacksparrow
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
No they are the same part as the originals but w/ stiffer bushes on the inboard end

yes, exactly the same as original

the ride height specific stuff is the front RS wheel carriers and the sways which need to be placed beneath the arms on really low cars

That's a tough one, my drive has a transition that I need to go into at an angle, the car is on 3 wheels part of the time but your experience may be very different
Bill thank you.

So if not height specific, then RS sounds like way to go, it will give me the firmer bushes and I can still adjust the ride height... as I may have to fudge a bit higher than RS height depending on my driveway approach.

Here is what I found at Pelican for TRW, kinda hefty on cost to do it all... (am I missing one arm here? Need 3 of the Toe arms as there is a center also, right?). Anyway guessing RS parts will be more... ideas to source? Gert or Sunset?

Thx
Attached Images  
Old 04-22-2014, 08:41 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hope you can read these, the parts that you want to change are circled in red

You want the Elephant sport harness bushes for the front track arms

and you want the RS rear track arms and the RS KT arm, all the other arms are the same on RS and normal, when I did mine I bought all new harware too

I'd shop around, Sunset seems to have consistently lowest prices and great service too
Old 04-22-2014, 08:59 PM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Hmmmm...this story sounds very familiar!! I'm glad that everything was made perfect and no one was injured as well!
Old 04-22-2014, 09:39 PM
blacksparrow
Instructor

Thanks again Bill... this is beyond helpful

and you want the RS rear track arms and the RS KT arm, all the other arms are the same on RS and normal, when I did mine I bought all new harware too

I'd shop around, Sunset seems to have consistently lowest prices and great service too
Old 04-23-2014, 04:00 PM
blacksparrow
Instructor

Question Some Parts Not Avail from Porsche

So I contacted 2 dealers one here in LA and Andraya at Sunset who people here like and she was great for me to speak with as well...

Here is the curet scoop on RS Specific Rear End Parts:

2 -RS Kinematic Control Arm (Top Rear) #993.331.045.80

These are not available anywhere. On Back order. No supplier to Porsche right now, per Andraya, who has someone who ordered these in Feb and when she check recently in March they said 3 months out minimum.

1 - RS A-arm Left #993.331.041.81
1 - RS A-arm Right #993.331.042.81

These are avail, but only from Germany.

Standard 993 Parts used in RS configuration:

2 – Camber Control Arms (Top Forward) #993.331.047.03

Available.

My question is this... is it OK to mix the RS with the standard parts, if they are not all RS parts, or is there any benefit to that.

Or put differently, is it better to get the available RS A-arms and mix with the Standard Kinematic Control Arms (not RS), since the Camber Control Arms are also Standard issue?

Cost difference is minimal and it doesn't look like those will be avail anytime soon, so I either mix and match or replace all with the standard 993 parts.

Advantage in just doing the A arms to RS is the basic question?

Bill if you have a thought on this, or if anyone else run into this?!

Thanks

Old 04-23-2014, 04:14 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

So I contacted 2 dealers one here in LA and Andraya at Sunset who people here like and she was great for me to speak with as well...

Here is the curet scoop on RS Specific Rear End Parts:

2 -RS Kinematic Control Arm (Top Rear) #993.331.045.80

These are not available anywhere. On Back order. No supplier to Porsche right now, per Andraya, who has someone who ordered these in Feb and when she check recently in March they said 3 months out minimum.

1 - RS A-arm Left #993.331.041.81
1 - RS A-arm Right #993.331.042.81

These are avail, but only from Germany.

Standard 993 Parts used in RS configuration:

2 – Camber Control Arms (Top Forward) #993.331.047.03

Available.

My question is this... is it OK to mix the RS with the standard parts, if they are not all RS parts, or is there any benefit to that.

Or put differently, is it better to get the available RS A-arms and mix with the Standard Kinematic Control Arms (not RS), since the Camber Control Arms are also Standard issue?

Cost difference is minimal and it doesn't look like those will be avail anytime soon, so I either mix and match or replace all with the standard 993 parts.

Advantage in just doing the A arms to RS is the basic question?

Bill if you have a thought on this, or if anyone else run into this?!

Thanks
Bummer, the alternative is to buy the Elephant Rear sport hardness kit, unfortunately it comes w/ all 8 of the bushes, you could use all or only the ones you want to use and sell the rest. For instance use 2 on the track arms and 2 on the KT arms to emulate the RS parts and sell the other 4 or .....

At a minimum I'd want the RS track arm(or stock w/ the sport bush) and RS KT arm(or stock w/ the sport bush), the others wouldn't hurt. The nice thing about buying the whole arm is that you get new ball joints too.

Quick Reply: Lemons to Lemonade