993 Forum 1995-1998

Lemons to Lemonade

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 07:10 PM
blacksparrow
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Great, thanks for clarification... would like to think I am hardcore, but clearly not

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
Yes , the toe arm is 993.331.043.00 x2, .01 is probably a newer part # for the same part and yes, use it for street use, the mono-ball part is great for track use not so much for street use unless you are really hardcore
Old 04-23-2014, 07:34 PM
blacksparrow
Instructor

Question

Originally Posted by ToSi
Elephant will sell a partial set.. I bought 4 pcs when updating mine a couple years ago.

The other thing to keep in mind is that by stiffening those bushings & reducing the KT effect, you're going to make the car *more* likely to swap ends.. the passive rear steering is meant to stabilize the rear end, particularly on the street where you aren't flirting w/ the limit continuously.

On more thought on this as I appreciate your response concerning handling characteristics...

My goal here: I am working towards making the car as tight as possible on for spirited canyon carving, while still being somewhat comfortable/compliant on "city" streets.

Are you thinking RS arms/ Elephant are too hard/overkill for street use with the PSS10s... from my limited experience the bushings didn't seem to have as dramatic an effect as other items, like springs, tire diameter, etc.

That said, I do want to replace the 20 year old bushes while in there, even if just with new original issue 993 parts, so I can drive another 20 years before thinking about it. Maybe the PSS10's are enough of an upgrade for me with all stock bushes.

Open to thoughts and if this course will contribute to an overall harshness, then maybe this is not the right plan and I stick to the original parts vs the RS. I'm not really considering the Elephant option further right now. The RS solution only changes a few bushings and in my current situation, really only the rear A-arms, unless I find the KT's.

Does anyone have experience before/after with the RS rear end Bushes vs Stock in terms of contributing to harshness/drivability?
Old 04-23-2014, 07:43 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 502 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by ToSi
E...
The other thing to keep in mind is that by stiffening those bushings & reducing the KT effect, you're going to make the car *more* likely to swap ends.. the passive rear steering is meant to stabilize the rear end, particularly on the street where you aren't flirting w/ the limit continuously.
pure hysterical nonsense!

Apparently in your mind the RS is some sort of an accident waiting to happen,

I can speak for my own and several local 993s that have gone this route, the car is much more stable and easier to drive fast, and by fast I mean speeds that will get you arrested if done on public roads, more moderate use is even more inside the enveloe
Old 04-23-2014, 11:28 PM
ToSi
Burning Brakes

Received 82 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksparrow
On more thought on this as I appreciate your response concerning handling characteristics...

My goal here: I am working towards making the car as tight as possible on for spirited canyon carving, while still being somewhat comfortable/compliant on "city" streets.

Are you thinking RS arms/ Elephant are too hard/overkill for street use with the PSS10s... from my limited experience the bushings didn't seem to have as dramatic an effect as other items, like springs, tire diameter, etc.

That said, I do want to replace the 20 year old bushes while in there, even if just with new original issue 993 parts, so I can drive another 20 years before thinking about it. Maybe the PSS10's are enough of an upgrade for me with all stock bushes.

Open to thoughts and if this course will contribute to an overall harshness, then maybe this is not the right plan and I stick to the original parts vs the RS. I'm not really considering the Elephant option further right now. The RS solution only changes a few bushings and in my current situation, really only the rear A-arms, unless I find the KT's.

Does anyone have experience before/after with the RS rear end Bushes vs Stock in terms of contributing to harshness/drivability?
didn't notice a significant different with regard to ride quality due to the stiffer bushings. the rear of the car is more 'playful' now, but I changed other stuff (pss10 & RS front swaybar) at the same time. The upside is that it settles quicker with less overshoot after the initial 'wag'. Maybe that's what Bill's trying to say..

pure hysterical nonsense!

Apparently in your mind the RS is some sort of an accident waiting to happen,

I can speak for my own and several local 993s that have gone this route, the car is much more stable and easier to drive fast, and by fast I mean speeds that will get you arrested if done on public roads, more moderate use is even more inside the enveloe
Settle down Champ, wasn't speaking in absolute terms. Now's a good time to take a look at those pictures from the service training manual you like to post whenever kinematic toe discussions arise & re-read the descriptions.. the one w/ the car going 'round the corner tells the tale. Maybe you could post it here too?
Old 04-24-2014, 01:47 AM
Elephant Chuck
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, the sport rubber bushes are perfect for a street and even for a heavily tracked car, this the way the Cups were done, Despite all the people that blindly use pu it is not a good material to use for bushes, it's sole plus is that it is cheap, and so is used in lieu of more appropriate materials.

the RS used sport rubber bushes on the trailing leg of the track arm, the leading leg has a sealed monoball joint on both the Rs and normal, The RS also used a sport rubber bush on the kt arm. These two bushes minimized the rear steer characteristic of a stock 993 that so many of use detest. All the other rear bushes are the same on RS and normal, but they do deteriorate w/ age, particularly the toe arm.

In front the RS used sport rubber on the trailing arm and the softer street rubber on the leading arm, I'd use sport rubber on both, it is really the best way to go there
We have sport hardness rubber, OEM hardness rubber, and spherical bearings. We can provide these in any combination desired.

You may call us to buy a partial kit if you don't want the full kit quantity listed on our website, we'll be happy to break it out. You can also enter fractional quantities in the shopping cart at checkout eg. .5 kits.
Old 04-24-2014, 01:55 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts

If'n it were me with this availability issue, I would go Elephant Sport (RS) or Walrod at front control arms, and Elephant Sport at the lower rear track arms and rear kinematic arms to be same as RS. Cheaper and available.

If I had worn rear track arm forward bearings, I would buy new standard track arms and install Elephant Sport bushes.

If you want to go a bit more than RS at the rear then use the Elephant Sport in all the rear pivot points and use the whole kit they send you.
Old 04-24-2014, 02:56 PM
blacksparrow
Instructor

Lightbulb Interesting

Originally Posted by Cupcar
If you want to go a bit more than RS at the rear then use the Elephant Sport in all the rear pivot points and use the whole kit they send you.
With this thinking, is there any reason not to use all Elephant at rear? More harshness or will it be noticeable?

Maybe this is a better option depending on Elephant turn around time and condition of ball joints... definitely cheaper even with Elephant doing install.

I didn't take a hard look at ball joints, but they seemed tight, 62k on car... what is a real indicator of wear on these parts, looseness? And what is expected lifespan of these joints? And can the boot be replaced? Pretty sure they are all intact.
Old 04-24-2014, 02:58 PM
blacksparrow
Instructor

Question TURN AROUND TIME?

Originally Posted by Elephant Chuck
We have sport hardness rubber, OEM hardness rubber, and spherical bearings. We can provide these in any combination desired.

You may call us to buy a partial kit if you don't want the full kit quantity listed on our website, we'll be happy to break it out. You can also enter fractional quantities in the shopping cart at checkout eg. .5 kits.
Chuck,

If parts are sent to you by Monday, what is shop time to press these in.

Will email you as well.

THX
Old 04-24-2014, 03:31 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

With this thinking, is there any reason not to use all Elephant at rear? More harshness or will it be noticeable?

Maybe this is a better option depending on Elephant turn around time and condition of ball joints... definitely cheaper even with Elephant doing install.

I didn't take a hard look at ball joints, but they seemed tight, 62k on car... what is a real indicator of wear on these parts, looseness? And what is expected lifespan of these joints? And can the boot be replaced? Pretty sure they are all intact.
Theoretically more harshness. If you want less harshness then use the same mix of hard (kinematic and track) and soft (the rest of bushes) that Porsche did for the RS or go all soft like on normal 993. Elephant apparently has bushes to do it any way you want.

The forward bearing in the track arm is a monoball type bearing and if you can feel it rattle around when rocking the arm in the car or on the bench it needs replacement. It should be a tight pivot with no play.
Old 04-24-2014, 05:34 PM
Elephant Chuck
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chuck,

If parts are sent to you by Monday, what is shop time to press these in.

Will email you as well.

THX
If we have them on Monday, they will be back in your hands on Wednesday.
Old 04-24-2014, 05:45 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 502 Likes on 345 Posts

I have Elephant Sport rubber on the front track arm in both the leading and trailing positions, for street and even for track it is great and you will love it

I would buy the RS rear track arm to get the new ball joint at the outer end and new mono-ball joint at the leading position, I find that these leading position joints get loose quickly even at under 20k mi.

Use the Elephant sports on the KT arm and leave the others stock as long as they are in good condition, maybe put the sports on the toe arm in lieu of mono-***** there, the only other thing to do is install solid sides but only on a car that is lower than RS height
Old 04-24-2014, 05:53 PM
blacksparrow
Instructor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Elephant Chuck
If we have them on Monday, they will be back in your hands on Wednesday.
Thanks Chuck, calling you to discuss options.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:17 PM
CaptainGSR
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I followed Bill's advice on the front end, and I could not be happier. My car has 110k miles. Although the stock bushings looked fine, there was some play when using a small crow bar on them (I'd say 1/8 to 1/4" deflection).
I installed Elephant Sport bushings on my front LCAs. I am extremely happy with the results. I can feel the difference, and the car is only driven on the street.
I did not notice any decrease in ride quality, but the steering is much more precise. Overall, a great improvement.

As with any car, clocking and pressing in new bushings is a PITA and it requires some ingenuity, but the result is worth the trouble. (PM me for pics of my rig)
I think it is worth paying someone if you don't have a press.

The rear end is my next project...
Old 04-24-2014, 06:31 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

If one does not have an air chisel and a hydraulic press (or screw driven mandrels) to do this, don't do it yourself IMHO.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:07 PM
blacksparrow
Instructor

Talking In Sync

I would buy the RS rear track arm to get the new ball joint at the outer end and new mono-ball joint at the leading position, I find that these leading position joints get loose quickly even at under 20k mi.

Use the Elephant sports on the KT arm and leave the others stock as long as they are in good condition, maybe put the sports on the toe arm in lieu of mono-***** there, the only other thing to do is install solid sides but only on a car that is lower than RS height
I think we have the same idea here, I have distilled it down to this, but let me know if this matches up to what you are saying. Here was my plan:

2 - New RS A-arms direct from Porsche/Germany, as not avail here.

2 - KT Arms (Non-RS) - Either use my existing stock, if ball joint is good, or completely new arms - then have Elephant Sport bushings installed to replicate RS spec, since the RS KT Arms are no longer available/on indefinite backorder.

If I go to new on the KT arm, I will likely source from Pelican for cost, substantially cheaper than Porsche for this particular arm, for some reason? Since the bushings go anyway is there a reason not to use the new OEM TRW's vs Porsche branded?

The rest standard Porsche control arms (per the RS spec) and all new hardware, direct from Porsche, as you specced in your Blue sheet.

This is what I am currently ready to do, have priced and sourced.

Did I miss something?

Quick Reply: Lemons to Lemonade