993 Forum 1995-1998

Lemons to Lemonade

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 06:07 PM
blacksparrow
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Lemons to Lemonade

Or "How I crashed my bone stock 1995.5 Porsche 993 and plan to have the insurance help with my mods"

The Lemons:

In a nutshell, I was driving the Carrera in Dec to my daughter’s school performance when it started to rain mid-day, (rare for LA and would probably not have taken the car out if it had looked like it). I live in Laurel Canyon, which is in the hills above LA and as we all do, I love to “put my foot into it” in the curves. Well, I was at the bottom of the Canyon and just starting up the hill, yes up. I hit the first turn, a 60 degree right bend on a slight incline and the back end came around on me faster than you can say, F***…

Off guard, I over corrected, ended up in the other lane (luckily no oncoming traffic), corrected again, all happening so fast that I was facing 90 across road headed towards a downhill slope… (there was a 18inch cement retaining wall/curb or I would have totaled the car down a slope and into a house!)… well I thought it had ended there with the rest of the word out of my mouth on impact... *UCK!

I was facing a big tree and was perpendicular to traffic, thinking I had come to rest when I realized it was just a pause in the space time continuum… all the weight shifted… and holy s*** I am still moving and completely helpless, the momentum that had sent me into the retaining wall was transferred, the front end released itself, as the back end came around incredibly fast, the engine weight carried the rear of car 180 and completely spun me, as the car slammed into the same retaining wall, now with the back end… I am dumbfounded. I sit drivers door facing into oncoming traffic and the line of cars behind me starts to come around the bend and narrowly miss me… good times

No airbag deployed, (not sure at what speed this happens), I am guessing I was 25-30mph as I came around the bend. I drive this road every day and play this over and over again, trying to figure out what additional factors came into play to make it go down like that…

1 – Driver Error – I take the bulk of blame at 99%, I came in too hot on a newly wet/slick surface and was just not thinking; a stupid error of judgment on my part not factoring in just how slippery it was/could be given the heavy rear end of the 993...

2- Road Conditions – outside of the wetness, road oil/water mix, the road is extremely rough in that area, pieced together and repaired, so combine that with some bounce and…

3- Car Set Up - its an original 60k mile car, US suspension… wondering how much bad shocks, bad bushings, possible poor rear end (kinematic) alignment helped contribute to this. I do have limited slip that was shown to be working when PPI’d, but in this circumstance…

The good news; damage was quite minimal. Considering how dramatic it felt and probably looked (to the trees around me)… I was extremely lucky. The main damage is front and rear bumpers. Front oil cooler on right side and left rear muffler and cat. The body of the car is somehow untouched, which is almost unbelievable. The car is completely repairable; although at one point initially the adjustor said, it was likely totaled... needless to say, he was educated on current 993 values.

Regardless, it could have been so much worse, no one was hurt. Yes my ego is bruised, I was humbled by my poor reaction/ability to correct the error and hopefully learned a valuable lesson; so aside from the purgatory like punishment of the lost the use of my car for 3+ months while being repaired, life is pretty good...

The Lemonade:

I am looking at this as a blessing in disguise (how else can I?)… I am using this as a jumping off point to start in on mods

Since I have to make a claim on my insurance after 20+ years with the same company and I will pay the premium hike, I may as well enjoy it! Also, I will likely have an accident on the cars record, since it is over $500 in damage they report to the state, even though it is quite minor in reality. I feel I may as well take the car whatever direction I like at this pint, since I don’t have any plans to ever sell it, time to go all in. Here is the initial plan…

BUMPERS – Front and Rear
Since they are smashed, I am having them replaced with an original NB Euro Bumper on the Front and I was planning on a US in rear… I don’t mind the US bumperettes on rear, as they fill in the space for the plate on the sides. That said, I could go easily go Euro, any thoughts here? Any pix of NB with euro rear end and US plate appreciated... feel free to change my mind

FRONT END
New Oil Cooler – Brackets, etc. - Was just gonna go new stock. Are there options?

Since they have the front end apart, I plan to have them work on it further, (at my expense). I want the suspension dialed in. Would love some thoughts here, as I want to remove any doubt about what the suspension is doing.

My plans are PSS10’s (want the adjustability for daily compliancy vs. spirited weekends – mostly road, maybe some AX… I had some PMs with a few here who have these and also spoke to Darin at FD) this seemed like a good solution for me. Thanks all

I was also thinking new A-arm bushings, either Walrod’s or the ones Gert has avail that are pressed in arms already. Not sure what type bushings those are. Any difference or advantage to one type vs. other… also was looking at Power Flex Bushings? But then would have to deal with all the prep/pressing, etc.

I was thinking ball joints as well, but at 62k, Darin said they are likely Ok. He recommended checking tie rods and steering rack. I think I will leave sways for now, maybe do the bushings, was thinking M030 sways in the future.

Just want to make sure I am through here with front-end suspension, any other thoughts appreciated... please chime in!

REAR END
Aside from the bumper, the left muffler was smashed; the heat exchanger and cat were damaged. Plans for the exhaust are as follows:

New stock heat.

Fabspeed Sport Cat X-Pipe – ordered and being fabricated.

Fister Stage II’s – Have sourced a replacement left muffler and Darin has them now. Just deciding what ceramic coating to go with. Open to suggestions, I was originally thinking Black (black car), but might go something that looks more like stock (silver mag) or more like the Fabspeed pipe finish (cermacrome).

Lastly, the rear end suspension. With the PSS10’s going in is there anything else that I should look at while there? Not sure how far I want to get into the rear end right now, but thought I would ask. I figure if I go track crazy in the future I can start messing about with more stuff later, but for now this should make it pretty nice on the street and for canyon carving.

Guess that’s a bit more than a nutshell, but wanted to give the complete story and the plan as it stands… looking forward to hearing thoughts, they are most appreciated. Will add pix as it moves forward...
Old 02-19-2014, 06:21 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 512 Likes on 352 Posts

you are building a street car w/ a performance bias
PSS10 are a great start for that, you won't actually use the adjustment feature after a few days but it can be useful to get where you want it to be.
now finish w/ sport rubber bushes for the front A arms, Elephant can supply these and they are easily installed. In back spend a few Bucks for new RS A arms and KT arms, make sure that the others are in good shape(the toe arm is the first to go)

I'd go for the rear RoW bumper too, it's a much cleaner look

If you want to go track crazy that's a whole nother conversation
Old 02-19-2014, 06:23 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Hey there....

So sorry to hear of your accident, but I admire your attitude and perspective.

I not only have PSS10s and Fister Stage IIs on my C4S, but looks like we're almost neighbors as I live in Hancock Park and travel up Laurel Canyon all the time.

Should you have any interest in meeting up to hear Fisters or feel PSS10s, let me know.

Good luck
Old 02-19-2014, 06:29 PM
Rick-A-Shay
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad to hear you are in one piece, even though the car is in many! Also, a positive outlook after a bone chilling negative experience that could have been much worse. You're now all the wiser! Used to live in LA and familiar with the hills….. GL with improvements!
Old 02-19-2014, 06:29 PM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Sorry to hear that. On the bright side no one got hurt and you may indeed end up with some lemonade.

My opinion on the wreck is most likely the unexpected rain. Makes the streets super slick when it hasn't rained in a while.

Bumper selection is very subjective but I'd go with a euro turbo front.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:34 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

Glad you are not hurt, sucks about the car, but it can be repaired.

What kind of tires are/were on the car and how old?
Old 02-19-2014, 06:43 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 511 Likes on 188 Posts

PSS10 are great for the street. Walrod bushings make a huge difference as well.

Fabspeed X-pipe + Stage II might be a bit too loud. I have the X-pipe w. the Stage I (LPMM mod) and the sound is perfect.

Get rid of the bumperettes on both ends of the car. It looks so much better!

My current 993:

and my old 993:

Good luck on the slippery slope (a little bit of pun intended...)
Old 02-19-2014, 07:25 PM
blacksparrow
Instructor

Originally Posted by ilko
PSS10 are great for the street. Walrod bushings make a huge difference as well.

Fabspeed X-pipe + Stage II might be a bit too loud. I have the X-pipe w. the Stage I (LPMM mod) and the sound is perfect.

Get rid of the bumperettes on both ends of the car. It looks so much better!
I do like the Euro rear end... but it has to be modified to fit, something cut under the bumperetes, right? My body guy didn't think it was a big deal, but mentioned it to me... what exactly has to happen?

And I actually saw someone else who had posted who has Sport Cat X-pipe with the Stage I's who said it was perfect... that is a real consideration for me, thank you for mentioning it. Can I ask, is it because the Sport Cat adds to the soundstage and makes them louder than with stock cats or?

The cars look great
Old 02-19-2014, 07:30 PM
blacksparrow
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kika
Glad you are not hurt, sucks about the car, but it can be repaired.

What kind of tires are/were on the car and how old?
Relatively new Yokahama's, not sure of exact make (came on car, planned to change), on 17 inch cups... not more that 2k on tires
Old 02-19-2014, 07:36 PM
blacksparrow
Instructor

Default Sweet!

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Hey there....

So sorry to hear of your accident, but I admire your attitude and perspective.

I not only have PSS10s and Fister Stage IIs on my C4S, but looks like we're almost neighbors as I live in Hancock Park and travel up Laurel Canyon all the time.

Should you have any interest in meeting up to hear Fisters or feel PSS10s, let me know.

Good luck
Cool... would love to meet up at some point!

I lived in Hancock Park(adjacent) previously, work nearby... always in Larchmont area, etc. I haven't had the chance to connect with any Rennlist locals yet, would be fun... will send you a PM.

Old 02-19-2014, 07:49 PM
blacksparrow
Instructor

Originally Posted by JB 911
Sorry to hear that. On the bright side no one got hurt and you may indeed end up with some lemonade.

My opinion on the wreck is most likely the unexpected rain. Makes the streets super slick when it hasn't rained in a while.

Bumper selection is very subjective but I'd go with a euro turbo front.

I vacillate on Turbo vs NB... like the turbo, but not sure on a NB car... like you said, subjective

Thanks for well wishes all, it was a shock, but gotta look at the bigger picture...
Old 02-19-2014, 07:52 PM
blacksparrow
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rick-A-Shay
Glad to hear you are in one piece, even though the car is in many! Also, a positive outlook after a bone chilling negative experience that could have been much worse. You're now all the wiser! Used to live in LA and familiar with the hills….. GL with improvements!
Thanks!

Realizing that I could have responded to everyone in one post... opps.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:04 PM
blacksparrow
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
you are building a street car w/ a performance bias
PSS10 are a great start for that, you won't actually use the adjustment feature after a few days but it can be useful to get where you want it to be.
now finish w/ sport rubber bushes for the front A arms, Elephant can supply these and they are easily installed. In back spend a few Bucks for new RS A arms and KT arms, make sure that the others are in good shape(the toe arm is the first to go)

I'd go for the rear RoW bumper too, it's a much cleaner look

If you want to go track crazy that's a whole nother conversation
Bill, alway appreciate your insights here... will look into the bushings, is there a reason you like the rubber vs the urethane type? Too hard for street or?

I have read many of your thoughts on track suspension in your other posts and that helped me understand where I wanted to take this.

As far as rear end, are these factory "RS A arms and KT arms, make sure that the others are in good shape(the toe arm is the first to go)"

Is this for the bushings or is there something different on these arms, sorry if that is a lame question...

Guessing Pelican or Sunset to source... might have to make this Phase 2.

And leaning towards the euro rear end... glad to get the votes/opinions on that in
Old 02-19-2014, 08:37 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Received 1,016 Likes on 380 Posts

Glad you made it out OK. I witnessed a similar situation directly in front of me recently. Car was a 2S. It accelerated in a slow-speed turn, road was slick from rain and bam, rear end was out and the front end hit the Jersey barrier and then continued to spin and bonked the rear. Given the weight distribution on these cars, they can easily elicit a pendulum effect upon collision. On slick roads, it is very easy to get the rear out with these cars. Sounds like you are moving in the right direction with your intended mods. Unless you are planning to track and absolutely need adjustability, I would save your pennies and get a traditional damper/spring setup. Koni and Bilstein offer great dampers combined with M030 or other lowering springs. Bilstein B6s with extra body threads offer height adjustability too. Good luck with your build.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:47 PM
Roverdoc
Advanced

My vote is turbo euro nose and euro rear, rs wing. Bilstein hd and mo30 with rs arms and drop it to rs height along with walrods or elephant bushings
Might as well completely go with a different look.

Quick Reply: Lemons to Lemonade