Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Another TPC Supercharger Install project thread :)

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 04:59 PM
RichPugh
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Not much "progress" today as it is snowing and I'm working in an unheated garage, haha. I removed the SAI pump and a couple brackets, tidied up (removed) the engine pad, brake-cleaned a few soiled areas and wiped down the "firewall". I also sprayed PB Blaster on all the exhaust hardware so tomorrow morning (or later tonight if I get a wild hair), they'll back off easier.

Even more reason to remove this crap, lol...
Old 02-25-2014, 05:05 PM
lopro
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Holy what a rat shak the old firemat protector is, Very impressive cleanup. Amazing work.
Keep it going.

Are you going to remove the A/C? Such a removal would help clean her up
Old 02-25-2014, 05:22 PM
Washabi
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 55 Posts

nice and tidy! can't wait to see the rest of the progress.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:34 PM
RichPugh
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by lopro
Are you going to remove the A/C? Such a removal would help clean her up
HELL NO! hahaha... I'm keeping my AC forever!!! It's a damned tropical hell here in Maryland thru the midst of summer. The dew point and I don't get along.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:40 PM
Pags993
Drifting

Received 137 Likes on 68 Posts

^^ love the answer LOL, great job! Can't wait to see the final install.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:06 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Busta Rib

Rich, I am always inspired by your updates.

Originally Posted by lopro

Very impressive cleanup. Amazing work.

Originally Posted by AME_VIP

your car looks perfect.

Originally Posted by RichPugh

I want a set of wheels that have yet to debut.
Rich-- Yesterday (before this thread started) I was looking for photos of your new wheels for my thread.
I stumbled across your supercharger pics, & almost posted the question of how you like the TPC - 'cuz I didn't think I'd seen a thread about it.

Perfect that you answered my question anyway

Keep up the great work
[subliminal message] PM me your sneak-peak wheel pics [/subliminal message]
Old 02-26-2014, 07:07 PM
RichPugh
Burning Brakes

Today I did nothing, LOL. It was Family Dinner night at Bahama Breeze

Actually, I finally ordered new beru wires, 2 new bosch caps, 2 rotors and 12 plugs, 6 new injector stack boots and new clamps, a new oil pressure sender and oil temp sensor, a couple quick disconnect coolant line connectors for the intercooler lines (Thank you Marc Shaw for that idea) and will be ordering new valve cover gaskets and hardware shortly. Tomorrow I'm gonna head down to TPC to let them reprogram the Unichip module for the 993 and pick up a tensioner plate bracket mounting template for the engine carrier. I'll post more pics soon with the exhaust off and some engine and chassis cleaning.

I also ordered the programmable ECU from Juha's friend in Finland. Pretty amped to play with this!

Old 02-26-2014, 07:08 PM
RichPugh
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by curve lover
I'll swap you the secret wheel pics if you can find me someone to build me a PLX gauge in my clock like this

Old 02-26-2014, 09:12 PM
jerbroo
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm curious, before deciding to bolt on that much torque and hp, what engine diagnostics are prudent?

-jb
Old 02-26-2014, 11:29 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by curve lover

I'll swap you the secret wheel pics if you can find me someone to build me a PLX gauge in my clock like this

<<unobtanium_clock_guage_NLA.jpg>>
On your behalf, I just called & talked to the brilliant man who created that clock gauge. No one else makes them. (...As I think you've discovered based on the YouTube comments you've left on related videos, etc. Wow - you are thorough!)

He doesn't offer them anymore, but said tonight he'll look through all parts & remaining resources he has to possibly produce 1 clock gauge for a supercharged 993.

Since I think you've e-mailed him, I mentioned your name. Unfortunately, that didn't ring a bell with him - I'm guessing you haven't had a response to your e-mail. So, make sure you call him tomorrow (Thu). He's expecting you. In case you don't have his phone #, I just PMed it to you plus a link to related posts I've made.

He's a great guy. Good luck! I hope this info helps.

His gauges are perfection, IMHO. If he makes the clock for you, you're gonna have a ridiculously perfect 993
...for which I have nothing but respect, sir!
Old 02-27-2014, 12:24 AM
RichPugh
Burning Brakes

Diagnostics? How about... I diagnose that it's working fine today without a supercharger so, it should work fine tomorrow with a supercharger... lol.

I'm not consuming oil (besides that attributed to leaks from my drivers lower valve cover) and I've only had a cel in the past for random cylinder misfires, which cleared after a few cycles. I'm doing some routine "tune up" maintenance (plugs, wires, caps, rotors) as well as preparing for additional fuel requirements, initially with the 2 additional injectors and the Unichip T module that comes with the kit, and later with a fully programmable ECU and larger injectors. I could do a compression and leak down test but I'm not concerned based on how the engine runs and performs currently.

At 103k miles, it's just broken in This is only 5-6psi and I've heard far more "happy" stories than "horror" stories from TPC supercharger owners, many of who are running well over 100k miles. There is no doubt that adding 5-6psi of boost to any n/a engine will increase the engine wear rate. If that engine has been well maintained without a supercharger on it, it should be in better condition than say one well maintained 100k mile engine that has had a supercharger on it for 50k miles.

I see no reason to be concerned about bolting on 100+ hp to an engine that has been proven to endure it. I do however expect to be doing a clutch job next winter, lol.

Last edited by RichPugh; 02-27-2014 at 11:08 AM.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:38 AM
jerbroo
Instructor

Cool. Thanks for the info.

-jb
Old 03-08-2014, 08:29 PM
RichPugh
Burning Brakes

Not much progress lately cause it's been so damn cold and I've had a few parts on order... Figured I'd at least yank the old stock exhaust and gear up to install the Fabspeed RSR header/exhaust system.

I'll be cleaning the cavities and underside a bunch soon. Gonna do lower valve cover gaskets, plugs, wires, caps rotors, oil pressure sender, oil temp sensor and a couple other random things...

All of this...

Came out of here...

"When does a 911 stop leaking? ... When it's OUT..." LOL (or once I do the gaskets!)

Of all 12 manifold stud/nuts, only one had anything to mention... stud came out with nut. No biggie. Also doing the H&R swaybars while it's on the lift.

Shows signs of old RMS leak but nothing fresh wet. I'll do that next winter when I do LWF and RS clutch setup

Keeping my mind on the finish line... slow and steady wins the race AND gets all sorts of other sh!+ done in the meantime
Old 03-08-2014, 08:36 PM
jerbroo
Instructor

Not much progress lately cause it's been so damn cold and I've had a few parts on order... Basically just got the stock exhaust off and I'll be cleaning the underside a bunch soon. Gonna do lower valve cover gaskets, plugs, wires, caps rotors, oil pressure sender, oil temp sensor and a couple other random things... All of this... Came out of here... "When does a 911 stop leaking? ... When it's OUT..." LOL (or once I do the gaskets!) Of all 12 manifold stud/nuts, only one had anything to mention... stud came out with nut. No biggie. Also doing the H&R swaybars while it's on the lift. Shows signs of old RMS leak but nothing fresh wet. I'll do that next winter when I do LWF and RS clutch setup Keeping my mind on the finish line... slow and steady wins the race AND gets all sorts of other sh!+ done in the meantime
...looks like animal remains. lol
Old 03-08-2014, 08:41 PM
RichPugh
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jerbroo
...looks like animal remains. lol
I assumed it was too, lol. Some critter was living large in the left rear fender cavity of a 993! I bet other rodents were jealous... haha

Quick Reply: Another TPC Supercharger Install project thread :)