Sponsored by: DashLynx

Day Road Trip in SoCal?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 11:22 PM
CeeTwoS
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Day Road Trip in SoCal?

I have lived in SoCal for most of my life which means that I have driven most PCH and the other main freeways between San Diego and Los Angels.

So here is the question: "I want to take a day trip to do some sight seeing and have a fun drive in the 993 S, so where do I go?" Limitations are that I can't leave until the mooring rush traffic is over and I don't want to get back after 9pm. So that leaves about a 12 hour window.

Any suggestions?? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-08-2014, 11:55 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

Hwy 33 out of Ojai.
Old 03-08-2014, 11:56 PM
C4SJOHN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

CeeTwoS, If you make it up the coast as far as Huntington Beach CA area on PCH let me know. If I happen to be available on that day, I would like to buy you a beer and meet you. It would nice to check out your 993 as I also have a white one too. John
Old 03-09-2014, 12:25 AM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With a full day committed you have a whole range of great options for driving roads. Try looking up the following destinations: Idyllwild, Julian, Palomar Mountain, Borrego Springs, Big Bear and the Angeles Crest Highway. None of these destinations take 12 hours of driving to reach, but all of them have potential to take detours, make lunch stops etc and easily kill a full day. If you really just want to drive non-stop than you can get all the way to Big Sur and back in 12 hours!
You really need to get out of Orange County and off the freeways to find good roads worthy of your Porsche.
Post details about what you are hoping to find, and where you are starting so we can help out in more detail.
Old 03-09-2014, 04:53 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 52 Posts

+1 for Palomar/Julian/Desert
Old 03-09-2014, 07:00 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 828 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by CeeTwoS
I have lived in SoCal for most of my life which means that I have driven most PCH and the other main freeways between San Diego and Los Angels.

So here is the question: "I want to take a day trip to do some sight seeing and have a fun drive in the 993 S, so where do I go?" Limitations are that I can't leave until the mooring rush traffic is over and I don't want to get back after 9pm. So that leaves about a 12 hour window.

Any suggestions?? Thanks in advance.
please define your departure point.
weekday or weekend travel?
Old 03-14-2014, 12:41 AM
CeeTwoS
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the replies. I will depart on a friday morning from Corona (I15/91 interchange). Would like to do something like the Ortega Hwy 74 from OC to Lake Elsinore. Would love a stop along the way for a good lunch.

Any other suggestions?
Old 03-14-2014, 12:52 AM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

From Corona you are close to some great mountain passes. Rim of the World, Big Bear, Lake Arrowhead, Angeles Crest, Idyllwild etc. Ortega Higway is overrated and mostly over-crowded + the police presence is significant.

Unless you have some business in Elsinore I would definitely be heading to Big Bear or Idyllwild this weekend since it's supposed to HOT on Sunday. My wife and I are heading to Big Bear Sunday to "beat the heat".
Old 03-14-2014, 01:13 AM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 828 Likes on 543 Posts

I think Peter has pretty much covered it.
There is a nice dairy across from Skydive Elsinore if you need a snack, but Elsinore is NOT known for fine dining, nor is Perris, or Hemet.
Old 03-14-2014, 01:16 AM
CeeTwoS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chaoscreature
From Corona you are close to some great mountain passes. Rim of the World, Big Bear, Lake Arrowhead, Angeles Crest, Idyllwild etc. Ortega Higway is overrated and mostly over-crowded + the police presence is significant.

Unless you have some business in Elsinore I would definitely be heading to Big Bear or Idyllwild this weekend since it's supposed to HOT on Sunday. My wife and I are heading to Big Bear Sunday to "beat the heat".
Tell me your route and I will try the same. Sunday sounds like a good time to get out of Corona. Big Bear sounds fun and the views should be great! Thanks.
Old 07-07-2016, 12:11 AM
tlakeusa
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Malibu

91 to 405 to 10 to PCH to Topanga Canyon , left on old Topanga Canyon road. Lunch at the Rock Store go to Pepperdine to get back on PCH south. Then reverse freeway route home. Lots of places to eat on PCH too
Old 07-07-2016, 03:59 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Angeles Crest, Hwy 2 around to Big Bear!
Ortega Higway is overrated over-crowded, and over before it starts + the police presence is significant.
Old 07-09-2016, 06:22 PM
ScooterZ
AutoX

Originally Posted by nine9six
Angeles Crest, Hwy 2 around to Big Bear!
Ortega Higway is overrated over-crowded, and over before it starts + the police presence is significant.
Yes to all the above. BUT... My wife and I were coming home from Riverside one Friday morning and decided to detour to Ortega Hwy and then back to OC. Not a single person got in front of us all the way down the mountain! I know it sounds like a fairy tale but it's true!...It was a FUN road that day.
Old 07-09-2016, 06:53 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Attached Images  
Old 07-09-2016, 07:27 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by ScooterZ
Yes to all the above. BUT... My wife and I were coming home from Riverside one Friday morning and decided to detour to Ortega Hwy and then back to OC. Not a single person got in front of us all the way down the mountain! I know it sounds like a fairy tale but it's true!...It was a FUN road that day.
Not even worth the gamble with so many much better roads in SoCal.

I've driven most. Nothing trumps a run up Palomar S. Grade, and then down E. Grade, and then on to Mesa Grande. 100 mile loop of bliss, if one starts/ends in SD.

Quick Reply: Day Road Trip in SoCal?