Sponsored by: DashLynx

Recaro Seats Question for 993

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 10:35 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Received 1,020 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by mgianzero
Nice! Are they a straight bolt in? Are they electric or mechanic? How much does each weigh?

Marc
Check out this thread for details on how to modify 997 seats to fit into a 993. My seats are manual adjust fore/aft and electric recline.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-turb...n-a-993-a.html
Old 03-11-2014, 11:36 PM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony_KB
Anyone have experience with Cobra Misano seats?
Yes. I just bought a set of Cobra Misano's for my 993 targa. They are nice seats. A couple of points I'd like to make about them.

1) They are a true carbon fiber back seat. So they are strong, fully mechanical seat that weighs about 39 lbs with the brackets for direct bolt in.
2) They have the top holes for a 4-point harness. They do NOT have a seat cutout for 5-point though. But it's a good seat for DE, AX, just not full-on track.
3) They are reasonably comfortable. However, the bolsters are narrow, so wouldn't recommend for anyone too wide. My wife thinks they are nice, but we haven't really gone on a trip with them yet to see how she likes them. They seem reasonably comfortable to me, but not as comfy as a sport seat.
4) They are reasonably inexpensive for what you get. And they are a full fold-down seat. Their backs do sit a bit high, so they can hit the sun visors with the seat too far forward.
5) They do provide a reasonable time-correct seat look as they tend to emulate the older Recaro look. However, there are not that many put in these cars. Not sure why.

Wish I had some pics to show you, but my car's in the shop right now.

Marc
Old 03-12-2014, 10:58 AM
Tony_KB
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mgianzero
Yes. I just bought a set of Cobra Misano's for my 993 targa. They are nice seats. A couple of points I'd like to make about them.

1) They are a true carbon fiber back seat. So they are strong, fully mechanical seat that weighs about 39 lbs with the brackets for direct bolt in.
2) They have the top holes for a 4-point harness. They do NOT have a seat cutout for 5-point though. But it's a good seat for DE, AX, just not full-on track.
3) They are reasonably comfortable. However, the bolsters are narrow, so wouldn't recommend for anyone too wide. My wife thinks they are nice, but we haven't really gone on a trip with them yet to see how she likes them. They seem reasonably comfortable to me, but not as comfy as a sport seat.
4) They are reasonably inexpensive for what you get. And they are a full fold-down seat. Their backs do sit a bit high, so they can hit the sun visors with the seat too far forward.
5) They do provide a reasonable time-correct seat look as they tend to emulate the older Recaro look. However, there are not that many put in these cars. Not sure why.

Wish I had some pics to show you, but my car's in the shop right now.

Marc
Thanks for the info ! I think for what i want this might be the way to go ...
Old 03-12-2014, 01:12 PM
LPMM
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

Tony - If you want to go aftermarket and would like to retain the reclining feature, also look into the Recaro Sporster CS. It is easier to get in & out compared to the more racing oriented bucket type seats and it also has the lever to flip the seat forward to access the rear.

Other than that and as others have mentioned, you should consider the 997 seats. They are very comfortable, OEM looking, and they will hold their value over time. If you do not want to modify the rails, you can alway purchase the adapters from FVD and here is an install with the adapters. I just bought a set of 997 GT2 carbon seats and I talked to Rhonda about buying the adapters since I don't want to cut up the rails.
Old 03-12-2014, 02:50 PM
Tony_KB
Advanced

Originally Posted by LPMM
Tony - If you want to go aftermarket and would like to retain the reclining feature, also look into the Recaro Sporster CS. It is easier to get in & out compared to the more racing oriented bucket type seats and it also has the lever to flip the seat forward to access the rear.

Other than that and as others have mentioned, you should consider the 997 seats. They are very comfortable, OEM looking, and they will hold their value over time. If you do not want to modify the rails, you can alway purchase the adapters from FVD and here is an install with the adapters. I just bought a set of 997 GT2 carbon seats and I talked to Rhonda about buying the adapters since I don't want to cut up the rails.
Do you have any pictures of yours ? I don't think you can put in a 6 pt harness on these, I saw them yesterday , not sure how the full leather ones look but the vinyl/ alcantara looked a bit less quality than what i want, this car is still my weekend car and all the race equipment comes off between track days which happen about 3-5 times a year...
Old 03-12-2014, 03:39 PM
LPMM
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

I just received mine yesterday, so I don't have any installed pictures yet but I am attaching one while they await install. Here are some pics of a full leather set installed in a 993 to give you an idea. There is a local (to me) 991 with those in and I thought that they were stunning, so much so that I had my heart set on the leather ones. However, I found a deal on a set of Nomex fire resistant fabric seats and boy am I glad I bought them, I like them much more than the leather version, very soft and rich looking. As you mentioned, they also come in leather (not vinyl) with alcantara inserts but I am not very fond of these, although you could always have the inserts reupholstered since they easily come out.

You can set them up for a harness with the Brey-Krause sub strap mount, the bottom of the seat has provisions for that. The owner of the 991 I was referencing earlier has it setup for both a harness for weekend fun and standard belts for daily use. My seats came with those mounts (and fire extinguisher mount) so I can take pictures before I remove them if you are interested. I don't plan on tracking the car, so I'd rather trade them for the mounting adapters.

I tried these seats in a Boxster Spyder and I found them incredibly comfortable however much like other bucket seats, you either love them or hate them. Mind you that they are quite expensive, but if you take your time you can find a set for a reasonable amount and you'll always be able to sell them for what you have in them or more. Not trying to sway you in that direction, but it is another option out there.
Attached Images  

Last edited by LPMM; 03-13-2014 at 03:07 PM.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:38 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's how they looked in my `95 C2...
Attached Images  
Old 03-14-2014, 09:52 AM
Tony_KB
Advanced

Originally Posted by cab&coupe
Here's how they looked in my `95 C2...

Man they look really good, how did they feel at the track ?
Old 03-14-2014, 10:30 AM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony_KB
Man they look really good, how did they feel at the track ?
They were awesome...
Attached Images  
Old 03-14-2014, 10:46 AM
clubsport1
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

You are almost better off to buy a Recaro pole position seat for the driver and bolt this in before you do a trackday.... They are a pain for every day driving and everything else is a compromise when on track.

the Gt3 seats are wider than the pole positions, particulalrly the RS spec Recaros, which is fine if you like to eat!
Old 03-14-2014, 12:01 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

FWIW, and I've only read this on the internet.

Ideally you shouldn't be used fixed back seats without extra rollover protection. The stock seats (no idea on aftermarket non-fixed) are supposedly designed to collapse in the event of a rollover.

Again, I only read that on the internet. If you would want to confirm that I would call Recaro (for the older seats) or Leer (for the newer ones, forget when they changed).

I'm also very surprised a 4-point belt like that would pass tech inspection. Usually they specify either the stock belts, or 5/6 point.

Quick Reply: Recaro Seats Question for 993