Sponsored by: DashLynx

Finding quality assistance while traveling

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 12:29 PM
dalehelman
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Finding quality assistance while traveling

Years ago I belonged to a BMW forum called the Big Coupe Group it specialized in the 6 series BMWs much like our 993 forum.
In that group we had a list of volunteers throughout the United States listed by state and city. Volunteers listed the type of assistance they could provide. IE. Knowledge of competent repair facility. If they could provide garage space, tools, lift, knowledge of a particular problem. In some cases even a place to stay. This was always a great sense of security when traveling through unfamiliar parts of the country. Do we as a group have anything like that available?
Old 03-25-2014, 12:36 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

Not formally, but if you post your route, with major cities and planned stops, I'm pretty sure you will find more than a few Rennlisters willing to meet you for a beer or three, lend a hand if you need assistance, and recommend local activities, things to see etc....

Most rennlisters have their city listed below their avatar, so you can get an idea where there is significant local presence.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:55 PM
dalehelman
Advanced

Originally Posted by Kika
Not formally, but if you post your route, with major cities and planned stops, I'm pretty sure you will find more than a few Rennlisters willing to meet you for a beer or three, lend a hand if you need assistance, and recommend local activities, things to see etc....

Most rennlisters have their city listed below their avatar, so you can get an idea where there is significant local presence.
I have know doubt this is true, but if you are broke down at 9:00 at night in a strange town would it not be nice to have a friend to call unannounced. With the BMW group someone started the list and I was amazed at how fast members added their names numbers and how they may be able to help. I would be willing to start such a list but frankly I do not know how. Maybe someone who knows how and sees the value would take on the task?
Old 03-25-2014, 01:10 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 52 Posts

Doesn't seem like this would require any expertise, if you took on the task.
Start a thread with the premise.
Accumulate Data and organize it on spreadsheet by state
Ask a Mod to post a sticky.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:26 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Doesn't seem like this would require any expertise, if you took on the task.
Start a thread with the premise.
Accumulate Data and organize it on spreadsheet by state
Ask a Mod to post a sticky.
I suspect it isn't quite that straight forward in reality.

sure you can ask people to post what tools, facilities help they could provide, and an area, but I doubt many will want their address and phone numbers placed in a public forum, even if it was slightly restricted to the Members Only section.

How was the list maintained on the BMW side? was it listed publicly or did you need a password to access the information, or was it kept by a few people or an individual?

OTOH, BMW owners needed that help... A 993 isn't going to leave you stranded anyhow, so we have never needed this capability.....

columns I would think that would be useful:

Location/City/State; Facilities i.e. (lift, etc...); Tools; Contact info/EMail

I am sure there are others. I hesitate to put phone numbers and home addresses, that info might be best to acquire via email if/when an emergency arises. OR operationally, before you head out on a road trip, you contact listers in the cities you plan on being near ahead of time with specific dates and 1. make sure they are available and 2. get phone numbers/addresses at that time.

Last edited by Kika; 03-25-2014 at 01:43 PM.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:42 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 649 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by dalehelman
In that group we had a list of volunteers throughout the United States listed by state and city.
We have that in the BMW Motorcycle Owners of America where they publish an annual BMW Anonymous book that is sent to each member. It lists owners by state, province and even country who are willing to help others along with codes for the services they can offer.

You'd think the PCA would do something similar...maybe they do.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:39 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 52 Posts

Kika, no doubt my answer was a bit simple. My point to the OP is I don't think there is a set of instructions on how to do this. But, then again with my process, people would volunteer to be on the list.

Your original answer on a per trip thread has worked well for many on long runs. They are usually entertaining as well.

Originally Posted by Kika
I suspect it isn't quite that straight forward in reality.

sure you can ask people to post what tools, facilities help they could provide, and an area, but I doubt many will want their address and phone numbers placed in a public forum, even if it was slightly restricted to the Members Only section.

How was the list maintained on the BMW side? was it listed publicly or did you need a password to access the information, or was it kept by a few people or an individual?

OTOH, BMW owners needed that help... A 993 isn't going to leave you stranded anyhow, so we have never needed this capability.....

columns I would think that would be useful:

Location/City/State; Facilities i.e. (lift, etc...); Tools; Contact info/EMail

I am sure there are others. I hesitate to put phone numbers and home addresses, that info might be best to acquire via email if/when an emergency arises. OR operationally, before you head out on a road trip, you contact listers in the cities you plan on being near ahead of time with specific dates and 1. make sure they are available and 2. get phone numbers/addresses at that time.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:35 PM
dalehelman
Advanced

[QUOTE=Kika;11241879]I

BMW owners needed that help... A 993 isn't going to leave you stranded anyhow, so we have never needed this capability

I guess you are right.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:06 PM
Dan Snyder
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

C'mon people. There are plenty of smart enough people here to organize some kind of list on here. Nothing would give more pleasure than to help another 993 owner that is in some kinda pinch traveling. I wish I was computer smart enough to organize this.......alas I'm too old to be taught any new tricks but it's an heckuva idea.

Quick Reply: Finding quality assistance while traveling