Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

993 Active Ventilation Lights

Old 04-04-2014, 05:52 PM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The bumperettes on North American 993 car bumpers start where the stock fog lights or TurboS ducts end. It's when you install the factory clear corners is when the notches in the NA bumper need to be filled and painted in the bumperettes delete process.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:09 PM
Top-Gun
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine came with LED's similar to the ones pictured above. My only gripe is they don't come with an appropriate connector to plug and play into the factory harness. Mine were just a lead with spade connectors.

I need to figure out a solution for a proper connector.
Old 04-24-2014, 12:19 AM
soundbehindyou
Burning Brakes

Received 203 Likes on 90 Posts

I did a dry fit today and the air-duct/fog lights I received from England will fit. Here is the link...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Porsch.../231199118283?
However, the electrical connectors and lights sent are "weak" for a fit. I think I can make the electrical connectors work with adding a larger female connection. I am going to add a bit of silicone glue to the edges of the "new fog light" to strengthen the bulb housing in place (the plastic clip setup is poorly engineered). I will then have two places to connect the "new fog light", one being the old fog light connection, the other being the "sidelight connection". I am going to connect the "new fog light" to the side light connection as I do not want these lights to only work when I turn the fog light switch in the car to on. (Also, now that the old fog light will not be connected, I assume I will not get an indicator light coming on because it is not functioning.)
I believe Gert in Germany's or a US part may have better electric connectors, but they want twice as much or more for the same parts.
Old 04-25-2014, 12:20 AM
soundbehindyou
Burning Brakes

Project complete....after painting and making sure the lights work....here are some photos of my new look!
Attached Images     
Old 04-25-2014, 05:13 AM
Top-Gun
Racer

Looks good, what did you end up doing for the connectors? I'd really like to find an OEM type weatherproof connector that directly plugs into the factory harness.
Old 04-25-2014, 07:55 AM
911PERVY
Banned

Received 223 Likes on 183 Posts

Looks great! The LED's work really well, I too would like the correct OEM plugs, the Porsche versions do come with them but at 3 times the price I will make do with the spade connectors and insulation tape!
Old 04-25-2014, 11:46 AM
soundbehindyou
Burning Brakes

Default Top Gun and 911 Pervy

Yes it would have been nice to have a factory male connector. The wires sent me were fairly cheezy, but I did use them with plenty of black electrical tape (my father was an electrician). There are two leads and the old fog light lead I wrapped in a small amount of plastic and used electrical tape to secure it as I did not want any potential water to effect it. I made sure my cheezy connectors were adequately wrapped with electrical tape to secure them and also to protect from water (I typically do not drive this car when raining, but one never knows.)
Should I have any issues going forward I can:
1. Seek a more "macho" wire set up
2. Revert back to boring look...
Good luck amigos!
Old 04-25-2014, 11:49 AM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Looks great. Did you DIY the paintwork?
Old 04-25-2014, 12:53 PM
soundbehindyou
Burning Brakes

Yes, the paint was really less difficult than I expected. Went to auto paint store with the paint code number from Porsche. The inserts were a smooth plastic. I sanded them twice with a very light grit (800) sand paper. Then sprayed them with a bonding spray supplied by the paint store. When dry I spayed them with the spray can the paint store supplied with the correct paint. I wound up spraying them about 4 or five times (once from the rear) as I did not want the paint to drip. This I did on a sheet of throw-away plastic in my garage (don't want wind or dust) - also make sure you remove any cars or other items from the area as light paint spray could contaminate. This whole process took me most of the day as I sanded, then painted....let dry, painted, let dry etc. When satisfied I sprayed two coats of clear coat also from paint store. The pain is making sure your electrical is secure and correct. My total cost, less labor was about$215 - $220,,,,$175 US for parts from England, and about $46 from paint store.
Old 04-25-2014, 11:55 PM
Top-Gun
Racer

If I get ambitious I'll see if theres a part number on the harness side for that connector. I've had good luck finding mating connectors from the original manufacturers as Porsche seems to use a lot of industrial/aerospace suppliers (i.e. Tyco, Amphenol, etc.).

I managed to find the Hi-Fi amp connector and order it from Tyco (made a harness between an aftermarket amp and this connector for total plug and play). Perhaps I'll have similar luck with this one, I'll post my findings.
Old 04-26-2014, 12:01 AM
KMASS993
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I used a waterproof wiring connector from summit racing for my wiring my Hella Micro DE lights. I looked into all kinds of fancy connectors then realized its a fog light on a street car not a Le Mans prototype!
Old 04-26-2014, 12:10 AM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Received 1,003 Likes on 377 Posts

I installed Turbo S ducts with similar Hella lights. My only complaint is that the duct is not very deep and you can clearly see behind the inlet into the inner bumper area. It really bugged me so I bought some rubber couplers at my local hardware store. Fitted them to the end of the inlet and it effectively makes the inlet tube deeper and has the added benefit of routing the air more directly. Plus it hides the innards of the bumper behind the inlet. Some modification to the coupler is required.

Old 04-26-2014, 04:38 AM
911PERVY
Banned

Received 223 Likes on 183 Posts

I covered the rear of mine with speaker mesh, looks good as you cant see the bumper behind but still allows air to cool the condenser and oil cooler.

great paint job SBY, thats the beauty of these plastic ducts, a quick rub over with 800 or 1000 grade and the painting is easy, unlike fibreglass versions that take ages to prepare
Old 04-26-2014, 10:33 AM
Rob.Dingwall
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks great! Funny received a parts flyer from Porsche this week that just happened to have this part for $274 each. Weird, the description in the parts flyer is "Air intake with Cleaning Lamp" pn 99363198000. Cleaning lamp? Just placed an order via ebay link above and saved about $350 bucks. Thanks.
Old 04-26-2014, 12:07 PM
soundbehindyou
Burning Brakes

Default Rookie's first Install

Wow - this rookie is impressed with you guys! Amazing how some guys with knowhow can make weak parts much better. I hope my lights hold together or I will have to take them apart and use your suggestions to make them better. Appreciate the responses....now I wait for the results of the first serious bump my front end encounters......

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 993 Active Ventilation Lights