993 Forum 1995-1998

Ebay exhaust tips?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 03:18 PM
911PERVY
Banned

Received 223 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by 97_993C2
I bought a set on Ebay from corvetteguy(?), who I believe made them himself, a few years ago for $50, as did several on this forum. The tips were good quality for the price, but some people who bought after me reported poorer quality and workmanship. I suspect the seller couldn't handle the increased volume.
I think he went on to make them for FDM
Old 04-03-2014, 04:29 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,371 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by J.Graham
When I replaced my stock small tips with wide ovals I received from FD, I noticed (and still do) a deeper, throaty exhaust tone at idle. I'm running full stock exhaust with oem sound box air filter cover. It's subtle but definitely there.
not to say there was no difference, but it was likely far more minor than you're letting on.

Originally Posted by EMBPilot
tips do not change exhaust note.
Originally Posted by 911PERVY
They certainly can, 100% difference when I changed mine
100% difference? Seems like a bit of an exaggeration. some placebo going on there I believe.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:39 PM
rcwelch
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I should know better than to get into the middle of this, but I too purchased a set of large ovals from corvetteguy a few years back and I definately noticed a much deeper sound at idle. Can't say 1% or 100% but a very noticable pleasant side effect of the large ovals.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:45 PM
PRSWILL
Rennlist Member

Received 439 Likes on 291 Posts

I was looking at these. I have the factory WB ovals and there are some scrapes on the bottom from the PO's drive as my cars been lowered. Would probably keep the factory tips but may get these as well for looks. How were they to install?
Old 04-03-2014, 05:02 PM
rcwelch
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PRSWILL
I was looking at these. I have the factory WB ovals and there are some scrapes on the bottom from the PO's drive as my cars been lowered. Would probably keep the factory tips but may get these as well for looks. How were they to install?
Mine were just a simple bolt on...just had to be careful when tightening up the clamp to be sure of the alignment. Had them about 4 years now and they still look terriffic.
Old 04-03-2014, 06:38 PM
IHTFP
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by EMBPilot
tips do not change exhaust note.
Originally Posted by 911PERVY
They certainly can, 100% difference when I changed mine
I concur, the tips do change the exhaust note a little bit. It is basically a bigger megaphone, so I would expect it to change the sound slightly.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:19 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you removed the tips off your car it would sound exactly the same.
Going to some extremes I'm sure it could in theory change how it's perceived, but the minor variations of our style tips, I'm not buyin any quantifiable difference. Just sayin....
Old 04-03-2014, 07:31 PM
IHTFP
Rennlist Member

EMBPilot, Why do cheerleaders use megaphones ? Are cheerleaders just as loud without the megaphones?

I promise you, there is a perceptible difference. I was a skeptic like you until I made the swap. I'm not saying it is like putting a set of Fister IIIs on the car, but going from standard NB non-motorsound tips to Wide Ovals changes the sound.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:49 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Opo
Just curious ..... opened this ebay ad, to notice that the 'tips' ship from Richmond, BC. Twice in the ad, in bold red type, it specifies "does not ship to Canada".

While we do have our occasional internal squabbles, BC is still part of the country, using the same currency & postal system - must be a personal issue with this hooser.

Anyway, please help him out - sent $US from the US.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:55 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

lol yes - yes I see ur point but ... I feel like it's the same thing as saying "I installed a k&n air filter and feel 'noticeable gains'"
Old 04-03-2014, 08:16 PM
IHTFP
Rennlist Member

Well, I didn't put on the tips for the slight sound difference, it was for the looks, but was happily surprised when it changed the sound. With that being said I am still planning on some 100 Cell cats and some form of Fisters.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:24 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Opo
Is just the look, there are just like breast implants , just the look
I dont know about that Opo...The ECU in a woman is much further advance beyond OBDII, and may indeed offer significant performance gains after implants are installed.

I can't imagine that for $100 they would be of a quality befitting our cars...
Ohhh, please! Another classic example of more dollars than cents. (pronounced sense).
Old 04-03-2014, 09:44 PM
MartinC2S
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by nine9six
Ohhh, please! Another classic example of more dollars than cents. (pronounced sense).
Trust me, definitely not a case of of more money than sense; my ex took all that. lol It's just been my experience that a lot of the time a cheap product doesn't live up to the standards of the OEM product.

I'm not saying your should blow $700 on OEM exhaust tips, I'm just sceptical that $100 can buy a quality replacement. I'd love to be proven wrong though!
Old 04-03-2014, 11:52 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by MartinC2S
Trust me, definitely not a case of of more money than sense; my ex took all that. lol It's just been my experience that a lot of the time a cheap product doesn't live up to the standards of the OEM product.

I'm not saying your should blow $700 on OEM exhaust tips, I'm just sceptical that $100 can buy a quality replacement. I'd love to be proven wrong though!
Yes, I understand your skepticism, but I have been more times pleased with inexpensive aftermarket products, as long as they are not MIC (made in china).

I have a new aftermarket shift boot sourced on eBay from GB and it was a fraction of the price of used OEM, and seems to be of very good quality leather, stitching, and thread!

I did purchase a plastic remote keyfob on eBay which holds the circuit card to unlock the car, and it was a pos...Of course it was MIC!

I tend to ask a lot of questions prior to purchasing
Old 04-04-2014, 12:10 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 119 Likes on 52 Posts

Would really love some wide ovals for my nb. But there is no way I could spend 6-700 on them. It really improve s the back end of the car though. I wish there was some other options or FDM still made them. I would imagine they wouldn't be that hard to fab up and produce if you have some fab skills. If someone made them they would sell a ton.

Quick Reply: Ebay exhaust tips?