993 Forum 1995-1998

Tire suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 06:04 PM
Paddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by cgfen
I'll not spend my money on any "performance tyres" other than Yoko Advan AD08Rs.
sumis IIIs are OK
Ventus V12's are OK
bridgestone reo50s are OK

their performance envelope does not come close to the yoko's

I"m sure the michelin product is good, but I'd rather spend my $$ with a japanese company versus french.

sayonara

Craig
Interesting, I have had nothing but good luck w/ the Michelin brand. Be it slicks, winter tires, tires on my F250, MPSS, and MPSC.

I had a set of the AD08's and thought the Michelin Pilot Sport Cups were superior in every way. From wear rate, grip, noise, and in the wet.

-Paddy
Old 04-09-2014, 08:36 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Directional M/S tires as performance rain tires

Hey NYC993 (great city the City is)

As an example the high performance, speed rated Dunlop SP winter Sport 3D snow tire states . . “ * Directional tread design enhances wet handling and deep water performance” end quote. The (JP) Falken Euro Sport I’m running this winter/spring as a rain tire is similarly positioned to the Dunlop SP. Our cars in the Colorado mountains I’m running the Dunlop SP/3D on our kombi for the balance of the winter season and then as a “rain tire” for Spring. The ever changing weather in the CO mountains is cruel.

In July/August of ’94 a PAG crew was in Vail, CO performing high altitude testing for the 3.6l ODB II (intro ’96 993). The 911 mule coupes were shod with Dunlop directional snow tires in the summer. When asked the answer was “resistance to hydroplaning and solid braking”. Armed with that experience I ran Dunlop SP Winter Sport 2D both on my MY96 Audi UrS6 Kombi and on my wife’s MY00 Audi S4 sedan.

A practice was born; directional snow tires as rain tires . . . . The tire performance in the rain is outstanding !

PS, Summer tire: Michelin PS2/Cup II/M033 w/RoW S coupe sway's.

Originally Posted by NYC993
I would like to know logic behind this. From what I know about winter tires, this approach makes no sense to me, but perhaps I'm missing something.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:45 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Wow, lots of quick feedback in this thread! Nourm, please give me a call. I'd love to ask some questions and you pick a set out that matches your needs. Thanks.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:12 PM
oMenRC51
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 31 Posts

gang bang for your buck = sumitomos
Old 04-09-2014, 09:54 PM
AZ Targa
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Paddy
Interesting, I have had nothing but good luck w/ the Michelin brand. Be it slicks, winter tires, tires on my F250, MPSS, and MPSC.

I had a set of the AD08's and thought the Michelin Pilot Sport Cups were superior in every way. From wear rate, grip, noise, and in the wet.

-Paddy
I agree with you Paddy, I don't have anything bad to say about Michelin. When i worked at a tire shop michelin was one of the brands that had the fewest problems/complaints. Michelin is the only brand of tire I use on my cars or motorcycle.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:37 PM
csmab
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

Happy with my Hankooks.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:37 PM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by M. Schneider
Hey NYC993 (great city the City is)

As an example the high performance, speed rated Dunlop SP winter Sport 3D snow tire states . . “ * Directional tread design enhances wet handling and deep water performance” end quote. The (JP) Falken Euro Sport I’m running this winter/spring as a rain tire is similarly positioned to the Dunlop SP. Our cars in the Colorado mountains I’m running the Dunlop SP/3D on our kombi for the balance of the winter season and then as a “rain tire” for Spring. The ever changing weather in the CO mountains is cruel.

In July/August of ’94 a PAG crew was in Vail, CO performing high altitude testing for the 3.6l ODB II (intro ’96 993). The 911 mule coupes were shod with Dunlop directional snow tires in the summer. When asked the answer was “resistance to hydroplaning and solid braking”. Armed with that experience I ran Dunlop SP Winter Sport 2D both on my MY96 Audi S6 Kombi and on my wife’s MY00 Audi S4 sedan.

A practice was born; directional snow tires as rain tires . . . . The tire performance in the rain is outstanding !
I hear you and read this before that winter tires due to being basically a sponge resist hydroplaning very well. That would make a difference on a flooded road or in slush. In warm weather, winter tires become very soft and just can't match a decent set of summer tires even in wet and cool temps.

Read the wet performance section of this comparo:
http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/f...vs-summer.html

While it was surprise when I read this...it was proven to be true on one of our local drives. In rainy 50-60 degree weather, the summer tires outperformed winter tires by a very large margin. Not even close.

Of course if you expect wet and 30 degrees or some snow, forget the summer tires.
Old 04-10-2014, 01:12 AM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nourm
That being said, I'm looking for equal parts performance, comfort, and decent handling in wet conditions. I don't need it to be amazing in the rain, just safe.
I've had Sumi III's for a few years now, and am really happy with them. I drove in a lot of rain on a long trip last year, including some monsoon conditions, and experience no slippage in the corners and very little hydroplaning in pools of water.

However, I read in another sub forum here that they have been discontinued, and my dealer confirmed they couldn't get any more.

I'm in a bit of a quandary because I need 2 fronts, so I'm thinking of getting some Continental DW's.
Old 04-10-2014, 03:04 AM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Rinty
I've had Sumi III's for a few years now, and am really happy with them. I drove in a lot of rain on a long trip last year, including some monsoon conditions, and experience no slippage in the corners and very little hydroplaning in pools of water.

However, I read in another sub forum here that they have been discontinued, and my dealer confirmed they couldn't get any more.

I'm in a bit of a quandary because I need 2 fronts, so I'm thinking of getting some Continental DW's.
Tirerack shows HTR ZIIIs 225/40 18s in stock, or are you running 17s?
Old 04-10-2014, 07:21 AM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

Hey, I read this tire article in Edmund's laying out a test btw summer, all-season and winter version tires . . . .
Tone counts.

Originally Posted by NYC993
I would like to know logic behind this. From what I know about winter tires, this approach makes no sense to me, but perhaps I'm missing something.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:06 AM
993RS
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I like Pirelli Pzero rosso....
Old 04-10-2014, 10:42 AM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kika
Tirerack shows HTR ZIIIs 225/40 18s in stock, or are you running 17s?
Yes, 17's, thanks.
Old 04-10-2014, 11:08 AM
nourm
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by damon@tirerack.com
Wow, lots of quick feedback in this thread! Nourm, please give me a call. I'd love to ask some questions and you pick a set out that matches your needs. Thanks.
Damon, I actually called tirerack yesterday, spoke to Luke and decided on the Sumi-IIIs. Thanks for the offer and thank you everyone for the suggestions!
Old 04-16-2014, 12:17 AM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 822 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by Paddy

-Paddy
Since you live in VA and I live in San Diego, I defer to your expertise and experience for wet weather driving.

cheers

Craig
Old 04-16-2014, 06:12 PM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I was torn on which tire to go with either the Hankooks V12 or Sumitomos ZIIIs so, I went with MikeJ's recommendation of the Sumi ZIII's. They should be here in a couple of days.

Quick Reply: Tire suggestions?