993 Forum 1995-1998

help on oil leak...

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 07:22 PM
Allen
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default help on oil leak...

Can anyone offer help to identify this oil leak? This pic was taken from behind the RR tire...the oil is dripping on the muffler. You can see a drip of oil hanging from the bolt by the far right arrow. It seems to be coming from around the bolts (see arrows). It is also leaking from the additional bolts further towards the rear of the car. I'm gonna be taking the car in, but was just trying to get any ideas...thanks.
Attached Images  
Old 04-15-2014, 07:40 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Valve cover gasket, quite common. Do the other side as well. You might want to wait 'till your next oil change to do that.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:50 PM
Allen
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by KNS
Valve cover gasket, quite common. Do the other side as well. You might want to wait 'till your next oil change to do that.
thanks...I'm ignorant on the procedure for replacement. So, in addition to the other side...are there any "while they're in there" things that should be done? Is this a $500 or $2000 task...?
Old 04-15-2014, 07:59 PM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Allen,

Yes, oil around those bolt heads is the tell-tale sign of valve cover gasket leak. Check pcar or pcarworkshop for the DIY and you can see the work involved. Basically, there are 11 (IIRC) cap screws, and 3 spark plug wires to remove, after which the cover is removable. New parts for install are the new gasket, and I would recommend replacing the cap screws, as well, if their heads look worn at all. The gasket is $10-$15 and the cap screw maybe $0.25 ea. There is nothing else I would replace as a while-I'm-in-there. When you remove the cover you loose a few ml of oil, but nothing serious. If you want to do it immediately it will not neccessitate an oil change. If you are planning to do this yourself, a search will show you how others have cleaned up the valve covers and mating surface on the engine, etc.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:15 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 269 Posts

This will involve removing muffler and "bitch" bracket in order to remove the valve cover. I was quoted somewhere around 700. I did it myself and save $$ for mods.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:21 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 337 Posts

Here's a link to a DIY... http://p-car.com/diy/valvecover/
Old 04-15-2014, 08:33 PM
Allen
Three Wheelin'

I won't be doing it myself...I really don't like dealing with that type of work. I JUST got the oil replaced...in fact, at first, I thought the leak was overfill or the spillage. Maybe the shop can do it with out requiring a complete oil refill...however, many times shops aren't concerned about saving an oil change, if it makes the job easier. I will definitely get it done immediately...If my car isn't feeling well...I'm not feeling well. It's sad....but I'm actually not kidding

Trending Topics

Old 04-15-2014, 11:22 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by P-daddy
This will involve removing muffler and "bitch" bracket in order to remove the valve cover.
No it won't.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:30 AM
EckFe1
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

I just did that work myself, including the lifters and spark plugs. So while you/the shop's in there, replace the plugs if it's time. Much easier to change when the covers are off.
Ed
Old 04-16-2014, 11:54 AM
993KT
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It happened to me last spring. I did it myself but its worth taking it to a shop. I was lucky that I got all the bolts off without taking off the exhaust header, but a few of them were a little touch and go. I rounded two or three of the bolts but I was able to use an extractor to get them out. The exhaust header bolts looked pretty rusty and I bet one of them would have striped or broken if I needed to take them off, which means I would have been in a world of pain. So I would definitely recommend taking it to a shop. It should only take them one to two hours if none of the bolts strips or breaks. I think that's a risk I'm more than willing to pass on to the shop. Don't let them talk you into getting new billet valve covers unless the plastic ones you have a in bad shape. The gaskets and new bolts are all you really need.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:46 PM
JLUinAZ
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You said there is a leak near the back of the car too? It could be the chain covers. If those are leaking, its either an engine drop or remove the bumper/exhaust.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:20 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

u guys are going to freak out the OP, this is ludicrous
its a $20 repair that can be done on jackstands using less than 5 tools. the only thing you need to remove is the hose from the exchanger, and maybe the tire if you want to make it easier. there's no need for engine drops, plugs, muffers coming off, or $700 repairs.

OP this is a easy project to take on yourself or with the help of a local Rennlister
Old 04-16-2014, 02:27 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by EMBPilot
u guys are going to freak out the OP, this is ludicrous
its a $20 repair that can be done on jackstands using less than 5 tools. the only thing you need to remove is the hose from the exchanger, and maybe the tire if you want to make it easier. there's no need for engine drops, plugs, muffers coming off, or $700 repairs.

OP this is a easy project to take on yourself or with the help of a local Rennlister
X2

Also, it's not clear that this is in fact a valve cover gasket leak. You said you just had the oil changed. Look up top to the fill tube area -- if you've got oil up there, it's an overfill/overflow situation and all you need to do is clean it up with some paper towels. After the first six quarts, you have to fill a 993 very slowly. Overflow is common, and even if it was cleaned up on top, you'll still get oil that seeps down below. So clean everything up, drive it, and then see if the valve covers are still leaking.
Old 04-17-2014, 03:34 PM
Allen
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by NP993
X2

Also, it's not clear that this is in fact a valve cover gasket leak. You said you just had the oil changed. Look up top to the fill tube area -- if you've got oil up there, it's an overfill/overflow situation and all you need to do is clean it up with some paper towels. After the first six quarts, you have to fill a 993 very slowly. Overflow is common, and even if it was cleaned up on top, you'll still get oil that seeps down below. So clean everything up, drive it, and then see if the valve covers are still leaking.
I really appreciate all the advice. I COULD definitely do this myself, but like I said, I'd rather pay someone to do this kind of work...I get REALLY irritated/pissed when bolts get stuck, parts are a pita to get to...that kind of stuff. It can happen in any car work, but some work is much more "likely" include such things...this sounds like that kind of work. I have indeed checked for oil up top...it's clean. Also, when I said there is oil leaking from the rear...I mean there is oil leaking from around the "rearward" valve cover bolts, in addition to the bolts shown in my picture.
Old 04-17-2014, 03:40 PM
Jay J
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do the Upper Valve Covers go bad? O.o?

Quick Reply: help on oil leak...