Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Leland West low ball Agreed upon value quote

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 09:15 AM
Garrison
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am getting a policy put together right now with LeLand for my 96' 911. I am concerned as well about the "pleasure use only" statement I was given when I asked a few questions about using the car. I drive this thing to take the kids to school, pick'em up, golfing etc. None of that is a weekend only "pleasure" driving and hence why I have not signed anything and am still looking at options.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:19 AM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by justin993
No errand running, etc...
Originally Posted by Garrison
I am getting a policy put together right now with LeLand for my 96' 911. I am concerned as well about the "pleasure use only" statement I was given when I asked a few questions about using the car. I drive this thing to take the kids to school, pick'em up, golfing etc. None of that is a weekend only "pleasure" driving and hence why I have not signed anything and am still looking at options.
This is exactly why I didn't go with Leland. They were crystal clear on the phone that "pleasure" driving was not a quick run to the store on a nice Tuesday afternoon. Punt.

I have raised my Agreed Value with American Collectors three times in the last 18 months. As easy as a click on their website and a small additional CC payment to cover the time until my annually renewal. 5K miles per year of what ever and where ever I want to go or do.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:55 AM
BHMav8r
Rennlist Member

Received 2,647 Likes on 1,673 Posts

Leland would not even do an agreed value policy on my '92 964 cab a few years back when I purchased it - WTF? That's your main marketing!

So I went with another carrier. 2000 mi per year and garaged. Low rates and seems fair.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:59 AM
Rod95C2
Advanced

I also had a recent, different experience with Leland to share. They turned me down because I didn't have essentially a third car to drive. That is, I have the 993, and my wife has her own car. She doesn't use it during the week because she takes a commuter train to and from the office. I explained that I only use the Porsche on weekends for pleasure. Otherwise, I always use her car. The representative replied that their requirement is identical to all other similar insurers. Does anyone know if this is true here in California?
Old 04-16-2014, 01:29 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I had to show evidence that I had a DD insured in my name with another company. They were pretty strict about that.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:17 PM
Todynot
Burning Brakes

Received 156 Likes on 82 Posts

Here's a question. If your car is totaled and it's the other drivers fault, will his insurance company pay the agreed value or does your insurance need to supplement? Of course, this assumes you were out on a legit pleasure cruise!
Old 04-16-2014, 08:33 PM
mondogarage
Instructor

I've got Leland AGV for my 96 C4 of....off top of head $38k? Anyway, more to the point, I have unlimited mileage, but can use for commute no more than once a week, and not for running errands.

Given the confines of parking garage where I work, I wouldn't want to use it for commuting anyway. The unlimited mileage is a bigger deal for me.

The "no errands" bugs me as, when I'm on a fun weekend twisty drive, I don't think I should have a problem stopping on way home to pick up some provisions for a beer30 post drive hangout...
Old 04-16-2014, 08:48 PM
levtron
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So am I missing something here. I have Geico, and there are no restrictions as far as I know, and offcourse no Agreed Value. But... I had a small front fender incident a few years ago, and when I called Geico, they paid the entire amount, (Almost $15k) with out a question. I know its sound like a lot, but the fender was hit at the very front, so needed a new one, plus a EU turbo nose, and booth airbags blew, even though the accident was less then 10mph. I think the main airbag sensor is on the left side, where it got hit.

When Geico called to ask questions about the car, as soon as he confirmed that it was a 911, he told me that they would have fixed it up to the average local selling price with in 50/100/150 miles. and in terms of cost. The 96 911, is about 1/2 of the 2003 volvo xc70 with Geico..

So what am I missing by not going with one of the classic car Insurance Companies?
Old 04-16-2014, 08:50 PM
therossinator
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got USAA insurance and they determine value via CCC One. I had a total loss on a 2004 Audi S4 with 188,279 miles and CCC One placed a value on it based upon 1) a 99,760 mile 04 S4 at a dealership nearby and 2) a 102,000 mile 04 S4 listing on autotrader 300 miles away. They were priced $11,995 and $11,200 respectively. I received $9,009.25 and all their deductions were well laid out and and seemed fair (-$2491 for the milage).

A month earlier I had it on CL for $10,000 and got offers as high as $7,000. I was very happy with the claim and have no worries about keeping my 993 insured with USAA as well.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:13 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

I currently have State Farm Classic Car insurance about $400 year with agreed value of 70K, coverages maxed out and only restriction is 2K miles per year which is a little tight although with the Spyder now is manageable.

When I moved the car to State Farm classic Leland was over $700. American Collectors going through USAA was over $1000 at 2000 miles per year and over $1300 per year at 5000 miles per year.

I do have multiple products with State Farm which does lower the rate a bit.

I am pretty surprised at what Leland is doing. Manny should be reading this thread…PCA has 100k members and ought to be getting a better deal especially on the restrictions.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:13 PM
Parnelli
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Am going thru the same thing right now! Never thought about the fact that I don't have an "agreed upon" value of insurance. We insure all 4 cars, house, umbrella policy,etc with AAA. The 993TT is labeled as a pleasure car but I am not aware of any use limits that are put on me by AAA. Recently, as the price and availability of these cars is being squeezed, I thought about how they'd compensate me if the car was stolen or totaled. I E mailed my agent and his response was this:

"I contacted AAA to discuss the value of the vehicle and unfortunately, the only way that they would determine the value of the vehicle would be if a claim were filed. They would take into consideration what the vehicles are currently going for in the market place, however, if a claim happened when the market value was low, you could receive a lower payout. Even if you had a current appraisal that would be limited, since they cannot insure at stated value. As I stated before, although there is an attempt at a fair settlement based on vehicle condition and current market value, this amount cannot be guaranteed.
I know that this does not definitively answer your question, but there is no way to provide the information that you are requesting. You could check Kelly Blue Book as a source, but this would not be definitive either. Any additional questions, let me know."

We then discussed doing a Hagerty policy with a stated value of $80K (car is a '97 TT black/black with HB sport seats and 58K miles) for an annual premium of $1,280 (seems high ??).

Anyway, I haven't done anything yet but am looking for guidance as well
Old 04-16-2014, 10:30 PM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Ugh...these threads scare me. My "actual cash value" Policy with Farmers hardly comforts me. I'd be devastated were something to happen. Is there any insurer out there worth talking to I wonder for agreed value in the real world?
Old 04-16-2014, 11:42 PM
justin993
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by levtron
So am I missing something here. I have Geico, and there are no restrictions as far as I know, and offcourse no Agreed Value. But... I had a small front fender incident a few years ago, and when I called Geico, they paid the entire amount, (Almost $15k) with out a question. I know its sound like a lot, but the fender was hit at the very front, so needed a new one, plus a EU turbo nose, and booth airbags blew, even though the accident was less then 10mph. I think the main airbag sensor is on the left side, where it got hit. When Geico called to ask questions about the car, as soon as he confirmed that it was a 911, he told me that they would have fixed it up to the average local selling price with in 50/100/150 miles. and in terms of cost. The 96 911, is about 1/2 of the 2003 volvo xc70 with Geico.. So what am I missing by not going with one of the classic car Insurance Companies?
Your car wasn't totaled
Old 04-17-2014, 07:38 PM
Dryfly57
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I just picked up Leland two months ago. Agreed value at 45K, 6K miles pleasure driving or club events per year. No short trips to get a quart of what have you........less than $600/yr.
I'm a happy camper.
Old 04-18-2014, 12:12 AM
therossinator
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by justin993
Your car wasn't totaled
What are the chances that your crash will be deemed a total loss?

If it's not a total loss I believe all insurance companies are pretty much the same (if you're covered appropriately) they are all required to pay for all repairs to your car with OE parts at the repair shop of your choice no matter the cost.

If it is a total, that is where agreed value makes the difference.

Quick Reply: Leland West low ball Agreed upon value quote