Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

In the old days, jerks drove 911s. Now the jerks own the company....

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 12:32 PM
fineito
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I will happily stick with my 993 C2. My 2012 CR is the most advanced newer car I personally want.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:36 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,371 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by laurence '97 C4S
Second, the new 911s are way too complicated electronically to own out of warranty AND based upon this guy's experience perhaps too complicated to own EVEN UNDER WARRANTY.
blatantly false. A 991 is not nearly as complicated as 2004-2013 mercedes S-classes and they seem to hold up fine in the majority of cases.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:54 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

+1 So true. Just recently had a tour of the new building of the Benzel Busch MB dealership in Englewood, NJ.. around the corner from Quad. The service dept has its hands full of S-class cars.... Very technical, and for some years now. Normal issues.

Its hard to remark regarding Nick's 991 coupe's issues, 1. because we don't know the FACTS and 2. because we don't know the facts. Both parties could easily have their respective expectations out of wack....

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
blatantly false. A 991 is not nearly as complicated as 2004-2013 mercedes S-classes and they seem to hold up fine in the majority of cases.
Old 04-16-2014, 01:10 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by M. Schneider
+1 So true. Just recently had a tour of the new building of the Benzel Busch MB dealership in Englewood, NJ.. around the corner from Quad. The service dept has its hands full of S-class cars.... Very technical, and for some years now. Normal issues.

Its hard to remark regarding Nick's 991 coupe's issues, 1. because we don't know the FACTS and 2. because we don't now the facts. Both parties could easily have their respective expectations out of wack....
now the w222 s-class is beyond complicated...makes a 991 look pretty simple by comparison.

side note, but Benzel busch does not impress me with the quality of their service. Their prices are high, and after my favorite service advisor left, i have been unable to find a good one. One of the reasons I work on my benz myself.
Old 04-16-2014, 01:18 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Quad -
I'll pass your sentiment along to the family. The second generation of the founder took the company reins several years ago .... we'll see how things go.

It sucks loosing a favored wrench ......... but hey, life goes on.
Old 04-16-2014, 01:28 PM
linen grey ghost
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wonder if this situation would have been allowed to fester this long when Bob Carlsson was in charge of PCNA PR?

As for wet passenger floor, does he have a sunroof? If so, maybe the drains are blocked?

Even so, this particular vehicle seems to be a "Pandora's Box" of electrical maladies; cue the car crusher or maybe a return to Stuttgart for a comprehensive autopsy? In the meantime PCNA - refund every cent of Nick's cost of ownership of this vehicle including tax, tags, registration, etc. and as a goodwill gesture how about a formal letter of apology from PCNA President for a lack of "Intelligent Performance."
Old 04-16-2014, 02:05 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

A wrinkle in all this is Porsche NA is a vehicle distributor, not the manufacturer legally speaking. This issue lay's at the door step of Porsche NA and in equal measure the guy Nick. Nick and the distributor are equally bound by the frame work set forth in the Connecticut lemon law statue. Or common sense.

Be done with this Nick 991. Nick 991 has logged over 12,000 miles in 6 months ownership thus far. Could this be the rub?
Old 04-16-2014, 03:58 PM
Rick-A-Shay
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

On the surface, it appears that "Nick" should have his car replaced or refunded by Porsche. However, there may be more to this than meets the eye. With Porsche's response to the IMS , RM, and GT3 issues, I would think they would have no problem with taking care of Nick's issues. The slippery slope starts with the vehicle spending too much down time with the dealer. This could be due to the fact that the dealer techs just don't have the knowledge to fix it. The factory "rep" should be called in to supervise and if he can't figure it out, a Porsche school instructor should be consulted. If all these "heads" can't solve the problems, the regional office should defer to the US distributor for a final decision. As always, time is of essence in customer satisfaction.

I know this as I used to be in customer service with Nissan in the '70's and have seen it all. It's possible that Nick's car was an early assembly with teething issues on the line. One can certainly take the car to another dealer to get a "fresh look" by another group of techs. In unrelated issues, a fault found with a car may be totally outside the design and build and can be traced back to the owner.

Porsches have become extremely complicated machines with sensitive electrical technology that can cause a lot of problems if not properly installed and grounded. I am in no way, defending Porsche but, it is obvious that Nick's issues have gone too far IMHO.
Old 04-16-2014, 04:10 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by linen grey ghost
Wonder if this situation would have been allowed to fester this long when Bob Carlsson was in charge of PCNA PR?

As for wet passenger floor, does he have a sunroof? If so, maybe the drains are blocked?

Even so, this particular vehicle seems to be a "Pandora's Box" of electrical maladies; cue the car crusher or maybe a return to Stuttgart for a comprehensive autopsy? In the meantime PCNA - refund every cent of Nick's cost of ownership of this vehicle including tax, tags, registration, etc. and as a goodwill gesture how about a formal letter of apology from PCNA President for a lack of "Intelligent Performance."
They did some work on the passenger door wiring, probably didn't properly reinstall the vapor barrier, hence the wet floor.

All of today's car seem overly complex, I certainly wouldn't want to own a Porsche built in the last several years.
Old 04-16-2014, 05:28 PM
helmet993
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I work for a top 5 global automaker and ran our customer care centers for a few years, and handled customers like this every day that were sideways with their vehicle.

I'm shocked Porsche hasn't fixed this customer, and his car.

If he came to my desk, and my brand, he would be posting videos of how we stepped up to the plate, and either fixed his concerns entirely, or replaced his vehicle with one that met his expectations.

Simple.
Old 04-16-2014, 05:38 PM
Cowhorn
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I can't believe everyone else has overlooked the obvious problem in the video. No wonder he's having problems with that car. He's driving it...IN THE RAIN! You can't DO that!

But seriously, I hope he gets things resolved quickly and fairly. As for me, I am going to stick with the two I have. The newer cars just don't do it for me like the older ones do. I don't want a rolling laptop.
Old 04-16-2014, 05:48 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by helmet993
I work for a top 5 global automaker and ran our customer care centers for a few years, and handled customers like this every day that were sideways with their vehicle.

I'm shocked Porsche hasn't fixed this customer, and his car.

If he came to my desk, and my brand, he would be posting videos of how we stepped up to the plate, and either fixed his concerns entirely, or replaced his vehicle with one that met his expectations.

Simple.
of course.

What were you gonna say? I'd treat the guy like crap.

Everybody brags about their great customer service until the problem happens.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:22 PM
VintageRacer477
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

What a mess.

Reminds me of the only Toyota Camry we will ever have. Nothing but trouble from the minute we got that new POS home from the dealer. It must have been built on the first day of hunting season. (Took delivery Dec. 30)

The dealer had an attitude that my diagnoses were invalid because I was not a factory-trained Yota tech. On one occasion the car spent 5 weeks in the shop within 2 months. I finally got the zone SM out & within a few hours he diagnosed it the same as I did 2 months prior.

Worst car we ever owned. And, it was AWFUL in snow. Switched to Saab's, BMW's & then a Merc E350.

BTW, I had a 1980 MGB at the time (late '80's -early '90's) that was more reliable.

Sticking with the 993 & Mercedes.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:10 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 133 Posts

Amazing how he can have problems every week and the next guy with the exact same car has zero. We leased a brand new A4 1.8T in 2000 and had so many problems we vowed never to own another Audi again. And people with the same car will say they never had a problem.....
Old 04-16-2014, 08:21 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There have been some great comments here, as always. The sad truth is most manufacturers have their fair share of horror stories. This should not be an issue between the end user and PCNA. The dealer is who took his money and it is the desler who should make him whole. In my yacht yards when we sold and installed an expensive product on a yacht that did not operate properly we notified the entity from which we purchased the product, (manufacturer, distributor or importer) and if they did not have a response that we considered fair we would replace the unit on our nickel in order to keep the customer happy and then deal with our supplier to get satisfaction. A yacht worth in the millions sitting in a boat yard can make the owner, who could eat me for lunch in most cases, turn into a pretty nasty character with resources far beyond my own. Not really rocket science, just common sense......Chris

Quick Reply: In the old days, jerks drove 911s. Now the jerks own the company....