Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

In the old days, jerks drove 911s. Now the jerks own the company....

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 06:14 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
You guys think similar never happened with a 993? I had one near new 930 go through my hands back when they were newly reintroduced to the US market for '86 that I had to rewire. Porsche didn't do jack on that car for that customer. (Can't even fathom similar on a new car.)
Ken, the difference isn't in the cars. It's in how information is spread these days.

Sure lots of 993s and 930s had similar problems. But in those days, how could a customer reach literally millions of people to tell his plight? He couldn't.

However, nowadays, a good story can go viral and reach millions in a matter of days.

That's the difference. Get with the program, man
Old 04-17-2014, 06:33 PM
2zeroes
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is alot of Audi in the new Porsche's to cut cost. There was an interview with the Porsche CEO and he mentioned that alot of the parts that you don't see will be sourced from Audi to be more cost efficient. As a previous owner of a 2011 A6 and having to hire a lemon lawyer to get out of my lease, I would NEVER EVER by another Audi and now 2013 and up Porsche again.

My brand new A6 with 2300 miles died (fuel pump quit) in front of the Holland Tunnel during morning rush hour. That was fun.

I learned awhile back to ALWAYS lease new cars, never buy. And if it turns out to be a great car, buy it at the end of the lease.
Old 04-17-2014, 06:57 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Ken, the difference isn't in the cars. It's in how information is spread these days.

Sure lots of 993s and 930s had similar problems. But in those days, how could a customer reach literally millions of people to tell his plight? He couldn't.

However, nowadays, a good story can go viral and reach millions in a matter of days.

That's the difference. Get with the program, man
Nah, I was even on a different channel. Should have quoted the specific post, but there seemed to be an undercurrent beyond what Porsche (Mothership, or US division) are doing here--that the "old" cars were better built by hand.

Imagine if there WERE social media in the '70s. Porsche probably would have done an Italian/French car retreat from our market with chain tensioner and 2.7L pulled stud issues seeing the full light of day.
Old 04-18-2014, 01:16 AM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Received 1,003 Likes on 377 Posts

And now the story has national attention, as seen on Yahoo: https://autos.yahoo.com/news/porsche...140054300.html
Old 04-18-2014, 06:52 AM
Holger3.2
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 167 Posts

Video is updated, Porsche bend and wants to pay him off ...
Old 04-18-2014, 07:42 AM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

Porsche's position hasn't changed from the earlier video's.... Porsche was buying the car back remember?, the "package" (purposely vague) was offered to Nick 991. "package" #one was Good Will if the customer stayed in the vehicle, and "package #two" was the usual and customary buy out of the vehicle. - Where is the rub?
Nick 991 insists he be treated special ..... above and beyond the usual and the customary,,, in unfortunate situations like the one he has experienced.

Above and beyond "Good Will" didn't shine brightly on Nick 991, that's unfortunate. Next customer please, and you want a coupe in what color?

Originally Posted by Holger3.2
Video is updated, Porsche bend and wants to pay him off ...
Old 04-18-2014, 07:47 AM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

+ 991

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Edit/Delete text

Porsche is in a business to make money. Do they have problems selling their ridiculously overpriced new vehicles...seems not. This video will have basically zero impact to them. So a few people don't buy their cars. There will be someone else to take their place.

I'm not saying that generating some good will by repurchasing the vehicle may not have been beneficial, but acting like this will have any sort of material impact on the company's sales or profits is silly.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:22 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts

Someone explain this to me:

Nick had a lemon...no argument. He gets offered the new value, minus a fee for the miles he put on the car (which he did with the exception of miles put on during dealer repairs).

Why should he be entitled to something above and beyond that? Because his car was extra lemony?

Did he or did he not drive the car 12,000 miles?
Old 04-18-2014, 10:49 AM
Holger3.2
Rennlist Member

Porsche's position hasn't changed from the earlier video's.... Porsche was buying the car back remember?, the "package" (purposely vague) was offered to Nick 991. "package" #one was Good Will if the customer stayed in the vehicle, and "package #two" was the usual and customary buy out of the vehicle.
just out of curiosity and without taking any site.

What does:

'want to refund my money or replacing the car'

stands for in US terms
Old 04-18-2014, 09:54 PM
RacingJunkie
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Someone explain this to me:

Nick had a lemon...no argument. He gets offered the new value, minus a fee for the miles he put on the car (which he did with the exception of miles put on during dealer repairs).

Why should he be entitled to something above and beyond that? Because his car was extra lemony?

Did he or did he not drive the car 12,000 miles?

You think he enjoyed much of those 12,000 miles?
Old 04-18-2014, 10:49 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by RacingJunkie
So, how do you quantify "enjoyment" or the lack thereof so that it can be weighted into the calculation of a refund? 12,000 miles is the equivalent of four coast-to-coast drives. That's a lot of miles, enjoyed or not.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:54 PM
KMASS993
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RacingJunkie
100% the truth. That thing was a piece of sh*t the entire time he owned it.

This is common sense customer service. Say you you are at a high end restaurant... you order a pizza. Half way through it you find a nice finger nail or maybe a bandaid... You think the restaurant would charge you for half of the pizza you ate?

When you are buying premium products you expect premium customer service. Porsche failed here when they didn't give him a new car.
Old 04-19-2014, 06:58 AM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

What? At Café Diametrically Opposed.

The warranty of this pizza was honored ....eating the pizza over and over for 12,000 miles in 6 months, that was Nick 991's choice. Nick 991 simply doesn't like the warranty term's. Best of luck to him.

Man, I feel for the guy as do many a Rennlist'r. However "hurt feelings" are not stipulated in vehicle warranties. Getting your money back (principal, taxes, etc.) less a fee for the vehicle's use has been a standard metric. And for how long? It could be worse.

You want my $.02 cents. Question: Did Nick 991 ever have control of the situation? Maybe not and lost any chance of control when starting the account video's. Big mistake. One on one, face time with a Porsche Rep... no other conversations.

Originally Posted by Kmassed002
Edit/Delete..
This is common sense customer service. Say you you are at a high end restaurant... you order a pizza.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:47 AM
Holger3.2
Rennlist Member

Guys, i'm normally not nagging around as an old housewife but it seems you don't get it.

Originally Posted by M. Schneider
... question: Did Nick 991 ever had control of the situation? Maybe not and lost any chance of control when starting the account video's. Big mistake. One on one, face time with a Porsche Rep... no other conversations.

as he wrote on his last edited video:

'they [Porsche] want to refund my money or replacing the car'

So i can't really follow on your pizza or 12,000 mls discussion ...
he simple gets everything he wanted!

Is he a Nerd? ... maybe but at least he got what he wanted; and honestly after getting such piece of sh*t, he earned it!
So, social media helps ... somehow...sometimes

Last edited by Holger3.2; 04-19-2014 at 09:04 AM.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:18 AM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Good for Nick 991.. and after all the audition time he's spent with the viral video's Porsche acquiesced up another couple of $ grand for the mileage used. Thankful its not all for not. Good for Nick 991.

I luv the hash tag comments ….. Agreed the last one about the roof rack, Range Rover and sheep is Hilarious! Hey,, what’s so out of place with a 911 coupe roof rack and lumber from the yard? Or kayak ….. What's next? A 911 w/ a trailer hitch towing a track tire trailer .....

Originally Posted by Holger3.2
Guys, i'm normally not nagging around as an old housewife but it seems you don't get it.
Edit/Delete

Is he a Nerd? ... maybe but at least he got what he wanted; and honestly after getting such piece of sh*t, he earned it!
So, social media helps ... somehow...sometimes

Quick Reply: In the old days, jerks drove 911s. Now the jerks own the company....