Sponsored by: DashLynx

Side Mirror Vibrations

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 05:59 PM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Question Side Mirror Vibrations

I've noticed that my driver's side mirror (the glass itself) vibrates considerable when I get up to faster driving speeds. It vibrates considerably more than the passenger side mirror. I did a quick forum search for similar reports, but I didn't find anything. Perhaps I used the wrong keywords.

Anyhow, I'm worried that whatever attaches the glass to the motor/heater assembly inside is failing and I mid find myself with out the glass in my side mirror one day as I'm driving down the freeway. Whether or not this fear is valid, the vibrating mirror really makes it distracting when I see the mirror image keep shifting in the corner of my eye.

What steps can I take to dampen this vibration? What part is likely failing/aging? I've seen basic how-to explanations to attaching side mirror assemblies, but if anyone has a decent how-to on how to disassemble a side mirror assembly, I'd appreciate that reference as well. Thanks in advance!
Old 04-17-2014, 06:08 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

I had the same thing a few weeks ago on my driver's side mirror; lots of shaking and vibration at any speed.

Turned out that after 18 years, the glue the held the mirror to the assembly inside was starting to fail. Re-glued the mirror to the inside housing and presto! No more vibrations.

Hope this helps
Old 04-17-2014, 06:18 PM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

That does help. How'd you get the mirror out of the housing? Did you just pry it out?
Old 04-17-2014, 06:21 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 531 Likes on 193 Posts

Do not pry it out!

DIY: https://rennlist.com/forums/diy-subm...-pics-diy.html
Old 04-17-2014, 06:25 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spyder_Man
That does help. How'd you get the mirror out of the housing? Did you just pry it out?
My body shop owed me a favor, so I had them do it.

From what I recall, they used the motor to turn the mirror all the way to one side, so in the inside assembly was somewhat exposed. They really didn't need to pry the mirror off, as it wasn't held on very well, which is why it was shaking and vibrating in the first place.

They gently peeled it off, re-glued it, and set it back in. The used some tape and foam to help it set right, which I kept on for 48 hours.

Haven't had any vibrations since.
Old 04-17-2014, 06:26 PM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

I wasn't planning to pry it. I don't want to make a new problem when attempting to fix an existing one. Thanks for the link ilko.

Quote from DIY link: "Using the mirror control, center the mirror on the left-right plane and then tilt the mirror upwards so that the bottom edge of the mirror sticks out as far as possible."

This will be fun since the up-down on my mirror switch isn't working...
Old 04-17-2014, 06:30 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

^^^ I can't imagine a local body shop wouldn't do this for very cheap, if you don't feel like attempting a DIY.

Literally took them 5 minutes, if you have the same problem I did....
Old 04-17-2014, 06:32 PM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

I'm up for the DIY, I just might have to fix the mirror wiring issue in my A-pillar first. I believe that is the cause of why both mirrors wont pivot up or down.

Thanks again both of you.
Old 04-25-2014, 07:43 PM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

My paranoia about the vibrating mirror was justified because it just flew off today (after several days with no visible vibrations) while on the freeway. Thankfully, no additional damage to the car and none to the cars behind me, but it is time to order a replacement...
Old 04-25-2014, 07:50 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Sounds like the glue just gave up after 19 years.

When my body shop fixed mine, they said I was lucky it didn't fall off, since the reason it was vibrating was because the glue wasn't holding it tightly to the backing any longer.

The good news is for you, that a new mirror, properly glued, should solve your problem
Old 04-25-2014, 07:58 PM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

I just placed an order through Sunset Imports, but it was too late in the day to be shipped today. That means it wont ship until Monday!
Old 04-30-2014, 12:48 AM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

Good news! The side mirror arrived early and I've since installed it. What a pain in the @$$ that locking mechanism is on the mirror. I'm glad to have the full visibility back, but I am afraid I will miss the improved power to weight ratio that came with my temporary side mirror solution:
Name:  photo (10).jpg
Views: 2594
Size:  120.4 KB
+.993 HP baby!
Old 04-30-2014, 02:45 PM
Renaud Bizet
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine fell off a few months ago on the highway, it was vibrating too like you. I bought a replacement glass off ebay (cut to specs) and glued it back on, it was like $15 shipped, pretty cheap and easy to take care of.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:11 PM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

I knew I could get mirror glass for much cheaper, but I decided to spend the $90 through Sunset for the real deal.

Quick Reply: Side Mirror Vibrations