Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

convertible top latch motor adjustment?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 01:07 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 706 Likes on 515 Posts
Default convertible top latch motor adjustment?

I installed a rebuilt left latch motor today on the driver's side (left) and had a challenge. It looks exactly like the one I replaced and was easy to install, but the latch moves in the same direction as the latch on the right side, meaning one side locks and the other side opens at the same time so the top is closed on one side and open on the other.

I used a screwdriver to latch and unlatch the motors manually, and then thought I could move one latch that was not closed to a closed position to sync with the closed position on the other side, but had same result, one side latched, the other open.

My only conclusion is that the rebuilt left latch on the left operates like a right latch instead and was not rebuild or wired properly…….as it moves in the same direction as the right side latch when activated and should move from right to left to latch instead of left to right when the right side latch is locking from left to right, so both sides latch down at the same time.

Any info on what I am doing wrong or opinion would be welcome…….I feel completely stupid on this…..the micro switches when touching the roof activate the motors just fine at the same time……don't think it has anything to do with controller unit issue or other main roof motor microswitches……...

Last edited by abiazis; 04-18-2014 at 10:30 PM.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:16 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Reinstalled old motor latch with the broken gear teeth and it operates in sync to latch the top with the other motor. Don't think there is anything I can do to reset direction the latch moves in conjunction with the other side, etc…

the rebuilt motor latch must have be wired wrong for the left side……making it operate like a right side latch? stumped …...

Last edited by abiazis; 04-18-2014 at 10:32 PM.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:33 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Reading all past posts….no progress on possible solutions other than shipping part back and ordering a new one and hope don't have the issue…...
Old 04-23-2014, 07:15 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

………..Could separate convertible top micro switch be out of sync with the other side or the motor? No solution yet……..any suggestions would be helpful…thanks in advance……...
Old 04-23-2014, 08:49 PM
briefescape
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What you need to do is open up your original broken motor and set it a side and do the same to the rebuilt one and then when you are looking a both side by side you need to loosen the cam lobe on the rebuilt one and readjust it so that it is exactly in the same position as your old one . Retighten and put motor back together and install .

What most likely happened when they rebuilt your new to you motor they did not pay attention to installing that cam lobe in its proper position and when the lobe triggers the micro switch inside the motor the lock behaves like it is closed and instead it goes reverse into the opening operation .

BTW to loosen the cam lobe depending which style inside gears you have , you will have a very small allen screw on the side of the cam lobe or the newer gears you will see the philip screw on the top of the lope .

Hope it helps .

Cheers Guy

Last edited by briefescape; 04-24-2014 at 01:19 AM.
Old 04-25-2014, 12:29 AM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by abiazis
Reinstalled old motor latch with the broken gear teeth and it operates in sync to latch the top with the other motor. Don't think there is anything I can do to reset direction the latch moves in conjunction with the other side, etc…

the rebuilt motor latch must have be wired wrong for the left side……making it operate like a right side latch? stumped …...
Tried another rebuilt motor today, same bad result with latch opening our if sync with other side, tried to open motor as you advised but I was stumped on how to open...reinstalled old motor and it still works, poor gears and all.....ready to return motors I bought that run but are both out of sync...
Old 04-25-2014, 02:22 AM
briefescape
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Opening motor is very simple , there four screws basically in each corner and then just pry it opened with a flat screw driver . That is it . Here is a pic. of inside
Attached Images  
Old 04-25-2014, 06:44 AM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by briefescape
Opening motor is very simple , there four screws basically in each corner and then just pry it opened with a flat screw driver . That is it . Here is a pic. of inside
Thanks for instructions, I removed the screws but it was pretty tightly closed as I searched with my flathead screwdriver for a pry spot and could not pry open easily so I did not want to damage the casing. Bad skills I guess or no skills, I will look at it again though and see if I can and then the next step should be easier to match lobe position to original. Thanks for all your time in trying to assist...

Quick Reply: convertible top latch motor adjustment?