Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Tow hook license plate mount

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 03:09 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

I got the US Millworks plate on my M5, it is VERY well made!

Yes, the front plate police are very active lately. I still will not put one on my 911!

Old 04-22-2014, 07:58 PM
Knight
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

I just visited a local RL yesterday, who has a 95 C2 and the license plate set up he has is ideal for the NB front bumper IMO. It's actually sitting very low on the front bumper connected to the grilles, dead in the centre. Unfortunately I don't have a pic, maybe he'll chime in when reading this post with some pics.

The set up most of us are running here on the WB front bumper requires you to alter the plate. I know for some, we'll just take it as the cost of not having a proper plate mounted on the bumper. If that means pay for a ticket every X years then so be it.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:20 PM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

In Washington state, the annual license tab renewal fee includes only one label that is adhered next to the month of renewal label on the rear plate. There is no requirement to have either label on the front license plate. The front plate is merely a means for LE to reflect laser or radar off of and can be argued that it doesn't represent legal registration.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:52 AM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Received 1,013 Likes on 380 Posts

Here are pics of the US Millworks unit installed on my car, plus a bonus pic of my odo. Harlan, I like where your head is at but I don't think your argument would hold water with law enforcement. They only see black or white: is the plate installed properly or not? What doesn't make sense is that someone from another state that does not require a front plate can drive with impunity in WA but as a resident, I can get fined for doing the same thing. Hypocritical. Anywho, it is what it is.
Attached Images     
Old 04-23-2014, 12:59 AM
Johnny_law
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The placement of that looks better than the other pics shown. But the clearance to your the car looks small. How stiff is the bracket? Any concern with deflection at let's say 100+ mph?
Old 04-23-2014, 01:03 AM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Johnny_law
The placement of that looks better than the other pics shown. But the clearance to your the car looks small. How stiff is the bracket? Any concern with deflection at let's say 100+ mph?
Johnny, no concern at all. The backplate is CNC milled aluminum and all the mounting hardware is top notch. It is very stiff. It would some major force to move the plate. Check it out the next time we see each other at a local meet.
Old 04-23-2014, 02:00 AM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Busta Rib
Johnny, no concern at all. The backplate is CNC milled aluminum and all the mounting hardware is top notch. It is very stiff. It would some major force to move the plate. Check it out the next time we see each other at a local meet.
Major force like the high school kid in the family Volvo who just got their driver's license wanting to parallel park in front of your 993!!
Old 04-23-2014, 02:39 AM
Johnny_law
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jim, I definitely will want to check that out. I really didn't want to put the front plate on my car. But I also didn't want to give any of the local Sheriffs or State Troopers a reason to pull me over.

The license kit was in the boot when I bought the car. Metropolitan Detail put it on after clear bra'ing the front. I was debating whether I wanted to use it or not, but they made up my mind. So I just left it, thinking it was meant to be. But I've had the idea of what you have, I'm just concerned a bit about the current mount leaving marks on the xpel that will be visible if it is removed.

Can't wait for a local meet with good weather. That would be fantastic!
Old 04-23-2014, 02:27 PM
willus
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Busta Rib - The lightened version offers an extra row of mounting holes that would allow the license plate to be mounted a bit higher. It's hard to tell from the photos, but it looks like that might be desirable. What do you think having had it?

btw, love the black fog/inlets.
Old 04-23-2014, 02:56 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by willus
Busta Rib - The lightened version offers an extra row of mounting holes that would allow the license plate to be mounted a bit higher. It's hard to tell from the photos, but it looks like that might be desirable. What do you think having had it?

btw, love the black fog/inlets.
I would prefer no plate, but I daily drive my car, so the chance of getting dinged for an infraction is enough to warrant having it mounted on the car. Even if I could adjust vertically, it would only marginally improve the look, IMO. It is ugly either way, but I'll live with it. The great thing about the plate is that it easily is removed in about 10 seconds by simply unscrewing the whole unit. Makes it a little more convenient for photo shoots or show & shine events.
Old 04-23-2014, 03:09 PM
jo-hans
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looking great!

One thing they could have done is include a few rubber stoppers with the kit for behind the plate in case it does touch the bumper.
Old 04-23-2014, 03:27 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jo-hans
Looking great!

One thing they could have done is include a few rubber stoppers with the kit for behind the plate in case it does touch the bumper.
That is a great idea. With the pre-drilled holes, I could easily mount a rubber stopper behind the plate. I'm going to take a trip to the hardware store this weekend and see what I can come up with. Thanks for the inspiration.
Old 04-23-2014, 03:40 PM
jo-hans
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah - if you could find something that just snaps in one of the holes (no screws) that would be perfect:

these are for pharmaceutical use but you get the idea

Last edited by jo-hans; 04-23-2014 at 03:55 PM.
Old 04-23-2014, 03:43 PM
993KT
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jo-hans
Sir, you are a genius!

Quick Reply: Tow hook license plate mount