Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Tow hook license plate mount

Old 04-20-2014, 09:05 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Received 1,003 Likes on 377 Posts
Default Tow hook license plate mount

WA state requires a front plate and I have been hassled by The Man a few too many times over the past 6 months. Luckily I was only given warnings each time. The last straw was a uniformed Seattle police officer that was walking across the street from the coffee shop (not even on duty!) and he motioned me to pull over to bust my ***** for no front plate. Apparently I was taking time away from his coffee break, otherwise he would have written me up. The fine is $149 in WA. And the meter maids are known for issuing tickets for no front plate even when you are parked. Ridonkulous.

The requirement for a front plate is completely asinine, IMO, but I will not go into that here. Suffice it to say I finally caved and decided to install my front plate. Originally was going to go with the Rennline unit but after a few minutes of searching for alternatives, I came across US Millworks (http://usmillworks.com/). Coincidentally, the owner is from Seattle but I don't know the dude. I like the quality and ability to adjust side-to-side and up/down using their swivel adjust. The edge is routed to nest inside the back of the plate for a tight fit against the backplate. Price is reasonable too at $79 + shipping for the standard unit. I didn't think it was worth an extra $20 for the lightened version just to save a couple ounces. No pics on my car, but if you have been considering a tow-hook mount, check it out. It installs in just a couple minutes with only an allen wrench. Nice quality product and made in 'Merica!

Last edited by Busta Rib; 04-21-2014 at 12:33 PM.
Old 04-20-2014, 09:17 PM
Rick-A-Shay
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Try running without a front plate in San Francisco………. $180 fine, reduced if front plate installed and verified by CHP or PD, identified by badge number on citation. $30. Palo Alto is a stickler jurisdiction also. Don't ask how I know………
Old 04-20-2014, 11:10 PM
esses
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just mounted my millworks purchased from a RL member. That thing is a nice piece. Over engineered if I may say. So far so good.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:56 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 337 Posts
Default Went to the US Millworks web site...

nice little video...been looking for a product such as this and "impulse" ordered it with Pay Pal. Thanks for the heads up on this product.

On track days, I will drive to a nearby gas station to fill up rather than buy gas at the track....the numbers on my car make it a bit conspicuous, so I am always waiting for "the shoe to drop", and get pulled over for not having a front plate.

With the US Millworks product, I can quickly mount up a plate after removing my tow hook. Then off to the gas station...
Old 04-21-2014, 10:11 AM
993KT
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice! Would love to see pictures of it on a 993.
Attached Images  
Old 04-21-2014, 11:29 AM
CRace
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have it on my 993, I will try to post later if not already done.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:36 PM
CRace
Track Day

Here is the picture.
Attached Images  
Old 04-22-2014, 12:18 AM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, That about eliminates the right fog light!!
I'd be more inclined to do something more like our 933 brethren to the north have done with fitting the plate such that the plate markings appear through the slot on the turbo front bumper. I'll see if I can find a photograph.
Attached Images  

Last edited by H.H.Chinn; 04-22-2014 at 12:35 AM.
Old 04-22-2014, 12:41 AM
KMASS993
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

This is really annoying, got the same problem in Mass... Funny thing is that there are certain plates that are grand fathered in, so not everyone is treated the same. If these states were smart they would double the plate fee for those who want only one plate. I would definitely pay it.

In the end I think it's a small price to pay for even a single hit and run offender being identified because of the law.

As far as asthetics, drill the holes and put the standard on, the whole off the the left set up looks very odd.
Old 04-22-2014, 12:42 AM
CRace
Track Day

I honestly didn't think of that until you said something, I just wanted a plate to cover my behind. We can move the mounting on the main plate to offset it more to the middle. But it still will cover a bit of the fog light. I'll try and do it later and see what it looks like.

It is odd looking for sure.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:54 AM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Denny Aker of Aker's Volkswagen Porsche in Seattle took his front license plate to FedEx/Kinko's where he's had them color copy the plate at 75% reduction onto adhesive vinyl and has applied it to the front bumper.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:10 AM
CRace
Track Day

Originally Posted by H.H.Chinn
Denny Aker of Aker's Volkswagen Porsche in Seattle took his front license plate to FedEx/Kinko's where he's had them color copy the plate at 75% reduction onto adhesive vinyl and has applied it to the front bumper.
That's a great idea.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:20 AM
993KT
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's what I'm thinking also. I never understood what fog lights are good for, but if you play with the offset, it might look better. But it's not bad the way it is now. I do like the idea of sticking the plate into the front grill opening also.

Why can't we all be like Delaware: No front plate, white numbers on black background.

Originally Posted by CRace
I honestly didn't think of that until you said something, I just wanted a plate to cover my behind. We can move the mounting on the main plate to offset it more to the middle. But it still will cover a bit of the fog light. I'll try and do it later and see what it looks like.

It is odd looking for sure.
Old 04-22-2014, 12:22 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

I found these recently .. no experience with them but it looks like a decent alternative for cars at R.O.W. height or higher, otherwise methinks you'll scrape it off. Have to drill underneath the bumper cover .. anybody know it?
http://www.hidetheplate.com/product_...&products_id=1
Old 04-22-2014, 12:43 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Received 1,003 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by H.H.Chinn
It is illegal to alter the front plate in any way, including making a vinyl representation. The front plate must be installed as issued, no cutting, trimming, photocopying, etc. It is also illegal to display the plate on your dashboard or anywhere inside the cabin. Why anyone would do that anyway and turn your cabin into a potential blender in case of an accident is beyond me.

In lieu of drilling holes into your bumper, a tow-hook mount is a reasonable option and completely reversable. The US Millworks unit can be offset to not interfere with the fog lights. That is the way I have mine mounted. I will post a pic later when I have a chance to snap a shot with it installed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tow hook license plate mount