Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

CAB's Rule!

Old 04-21-2014, 10:32 PM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Do I dare get in the middle of this cab vs coupé thread and mention a Targa?

Is the car that's got it all.... Kind of like a mullet?
Old 04-22-2014, 09:04 AM
MielsOnWheels
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RodKnock
The market says "Coupes Rule!"

I'd change the title to "CABS are cheap!"
I'm a Cab guy, (and I love that SY Cab you have), so this will sound biased of course. But I need to take issue with your comment about cabs being so much cheaper than coupes. Granted there is a smaller market for cabs, but there really isn't much evidence that they are consistently cheaper than coupes. A well-sorted cab can easily go for as much as a well-sorted coupe and vice-versa. I've seen $50k cabs and $20k coupes - it's mostly about condition, service, etc.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:54 AM
Zed.
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 131 Posts
Default Cab or Coupe

Why enjoy either or? Stretch for both before neither are within reach

Last edited by Zed.; 03-10-2015 at 10:24 PM.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:20 AM
2RedPorsche
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by ble2011
I've said it so many times - there's nothing better than a hot summer night drive with the top down. Cab's are the best kept secret!
+1 on that!!
Old 04-22-2014, 10:55 AM
RodKnock
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by VA993Dreamer
I'm a Cab guy, (and I love that SY Cab you have), so this will sound biased of course. But I need to take issue with your comment about cabs being so much cheaper than coupes. Granted there is a smaller market for cabs, but there really isn't much evidence that they are consistently cheaper than coupes. A well-sorted cab can easily go for as much as a well-sorted coupe and vice-versa. I've seen $50k cabs and $20k coupes - it's mostly about condition, service, etc.
I have no factual sales data to back up my claim, but it appears to me that if you have two 993's for sale, both are exact in nearly every detail (colors, mileage, maintenance, options, etc.), but for one being a Cab and the other being a NB Coupe, the NB Coupe will sell for a premium because of higher demand.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:50 AM
Zed.
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 131 Posts

I believe you are correct on lagging valuations for cabs as I've been following them since I bought 2 yrs ago and they haven't changed given like cars and mileage. As these 993 cars get older and less likely to be used for DD or track, like the 356 before it, I expect the cabs will leapfrog well beyond the coupes in price as it's the perfect occasional weekend run in the country or color tour sporty ride.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:47 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Zed.
As these 993 cars get older and less likely to be used for DD or track, like the 356 before it, I expect the cabs will leapfrog well beyond the coupes in price.
I have a wide-body coupe, and I agree with this.

As these cars age and are not competitive with modern cars performance-wise, I think, like most cars, the open top cars will be worth at least as much as the coupes, if not considerably more, as time goes by
Old 04-22-2014, 02:07 PM
Fünfer
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

All depends what you want to do with the car. I am mainly using mine for fun on the weekends, and being in CA the Cabrio was the best all around choice. We have great twisties, great weather pretty much all year around. If I want a roof over my head I just take one of my other cars.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:23 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts

the cab top and tonneau cover thing look very awkward and sit too high. otherwise i'm fine with cabs.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:45 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

Why enjoy either or? Stretch for both before neither are within reach
Like the way you think, Zed

Cool garage and love the old Wyomania plate... Here's mine, which would be just as appropriate on the Cab:
Attached Images  
Old 04-22-2014, 07:03 PM
MielsOnWheels
Burning Brakes

I believe you are correct on lagging valuations for cabs as I've been following them since I bought 2 yrs ago and they haven't changed given like cars and mileage. As these 993 cars get older and less likely to be used for DD or track, like the 356 before it, I expect the cabs will leapfrog well beyond the coupes in price as it's the perfect occasional weekend run in the country or color tour sporty ride.
I disagree with your first point and agree with your second one. I bought 2 years ago and I've seen, as most others have, a steady rise in 993 valuations. This rise is steeper or flatter depending on model, but the valuation rise is there with these cars, Cabs included. I can most assuredly get more for my car today vs 2 years ago. To your second point, the open cars, which are often driven less (weekend car vs DD),tracked less, and often are in great condition as they are usually driven in good weather, may end up rising faster in value.

But regardless, these are all great air cooled cars!
Old 04-22-2014, 07:07 PM
MielsOnWheels
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
the cab top and tonneau cover thing look very awkward and sit too high. otherwise i'm fine with cabs.
Totally agree with the awkward and too-high top stack. I'm assuming that's more of a packaging and old-tech top issue. OTOH, they did a decent job considering what they had to work with.

In light of a 9m Speedster conversion, it would be cool if someone in the aftermarket could design a clamshell cover that you could put over the top stack to mimic one...
Old 04-22-2014, 08:02 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I think that the top-stack gives the cab a look of elegance like an old Silver Ghost roadster
Old 04-22-2014, 08:09 PM
RodKnock
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I actually don't mind the top stack because I like the retro-look and the fact that those modern power retractable tops are complex and have a tendency to break after a few years. And those repairs can be expensive.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:26 PM
ble2011
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Should mention my cab was driven in some really. heavy rainstorms and surprisingly, not a single leak. So to me, the top is designed really well also,

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CAB's Rule!