Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Worthwhile upgrade - RS motor mounts

Old 04-23-2014, 10:46 AM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Paul,

Congrats on the motor mounts. Yes, it can make quite a difference, depending on the condition of your original motor mounts. Mine was not as drastic a change as other cars I've installed them in.

I found the biggest difference in shifting was with the goldenrod and short-shift kit that Darin makes for our cars as many have noted above. I just installed another kit on another RL'ers car yesterday - big improvement. Please consider if you don't have one already.
Old 04-23-2014, 02:01 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksparrow
Good job

Will it be any easier to do this if the car is up on the lift with the rear end apart or does it need to be down to lift the engine, which is what would think?

Shop is putting my PSS10's on now and replacing all the rear suspension with RS parts, so if this is something that makes sense I might just add to the list.

63k on my car, so can't be far behind in terms of play/wear at almost 20 years... want that short shifter too

Also in So Cal
The job was pretty simple and straight forward with just the rear on jackstands. Yes, the floor jack is your friend for this job, as it allows you to achieve a little extra clearance for removing the original mm.

Read p-car.com DIY for RS mm installation.

Last edited by nine9six; 04-23-2014 at 02:16 PM.
Old 04-23-2014, 02:11 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by quacktoduck
would you guys pay for the wevo or rs mounts?

I did the research and the Wevos are indeed a good product, and renewable by swapping out the pillows; but despite the slight pricing difference, the RS mm seemed to be a happy medium by not introducing any unnecessary NHV.

wevo over RS all day every day.
cheaper, pillows replaceable for $30, a bit stiffer, just better all around.
The Wevo blacks are the medium firmness, and I understand they are harsher than the RS mm.
What is "better", depends largely on the direction you want to go with your car, its use and application.
Old 04-23-2014, 02:18 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

Happy customer of WEVO Blacks and Golden Rod, here.

I didn't really notice shifting improvement with the WEVOs, but the rear end is more planted. Golden Rod is a definite improvement, makes shifting much more precise, feels like a rifle bolt going into gear now. Not that it was mushy before, but there was a little play before, that the GR removes.

for the money, the GR is the best of the driving enjoyment improvements I have done. LWF is also a great upgrade, but far more expensive than the GR.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:43 PM
therossinator
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Correction, they are just north of $385 at sunset. Looks like I'll be buying the wevos now.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:57 PM
993RS
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Got mine from Gert, great mod....
Old 04-23-2014, 08:22 PM
Eurotrio
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

ECS Tuning had the RS kit at $400 with a couple of additional nuts and shipping.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:39 PM
therossinator
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Now WEVO is out of stock until the 2nd.
Old 04-24-2014, 03:47 AM
Renaud Bizet
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by therossinator
Now WEVO is out of stock until the 2nd.
Yes I found out the hard way too. I was working on my car last week-end and when I lifted the rear the "liquid" from my original mounts dripped everywhere.

Placed on order for some black evos and they are on backorder. It is my DD so I am driving it as is but not pushing it, I can definitely feel more vibrations in the cabin and steering wheel. I really hope they ship on the 2nd.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Worthwhile upgrade - RS motor mounts