Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

What OBD Code do you regularly get, ignore and clear and why?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 05:27 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,448 Likes on 1,020 Posts
Default What OBD Code do you regularly get, ignore and clear and why?

Chime in guys!
Old 04-23-2014, 05:30 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,371 Likes on 794 Posts

why kinda ridiculous topic is this?

Anyone who purposely ignores OBD codes is ignorant.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:26 PM
hoggel
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
why kinda ridiculous topic is this?

Anyone who purposely ignores OBD codes is ignorant.

Hmmm. I clicked into this thread to see what you said Quad. I like how you get directly to the point even if I sometimes disagree ... like this time.

I don't have any ignored codes on the Porsche but my daily driver vw TDi has an intermittent fault for engine temperature sensor out of range. It is not the sensor, does not have any effect on the drivability or mileage (48 mpg), the engine temp is normal, so I have not worried about it for a couple years. The CEL is now normally on so I occasionally check the codes to make sure I don't have any new ones. If a new fault is one that will cause damage the CEL will flash. Before the emissions check is due I reset the fault and drive to the emissions station where it passes. One of these days I will check the connections and wiring to the temp sensor but it's WAY down on my priority list.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:33 PM
fatmike
Three Wheelin'

Received 379 Likes on 237 Posts

I'd say something dumb like "I haven't gotten a code since I bought the car a year ago"...but that'd just jinx me...

/
Old 04-23-2014, 08:14 PM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes, kind of a strange question. Are you referring to DME codes in particular? Because there are some faults with A/C, alarm system and other control units that aren't particularly a concern.

But anything that sets a CEL I think needs to be addressed. Because, once a CEL is set, you'll never know if another condition arises that's more critical than the one you already know about if the lights always on.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:17 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,371 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by hoggel
Hmmm. I clicked into this thread to see what you said Quad. I like how you get directly to the point even if I sometimes disagree ... like this time.

I don't have any ignored codes on the Porsche but my daily driver vw TDi has an intermittent fault for engine temperature sensor out of range. It is not the sensor, does not have any effect on the drivability or mileage (48 mpg), the engine temp is normal, so I have not worried about it for a couple years. The CEL is now normally on so I occasionally check the codes to make sure I don't have any new ones. If a new fault is one that will cause damage the CEL will flash. Before the emissions check is due I reset the fault and drive to the emissions station where it passes. One of these days I will check the connections and wiring to the temp sensor but it's WAY down on my priority list.
Ok, see in this case, you got the cel, examined the car, seemingly checked or replaced the sensor, and assured yourself that this is something that is a phantom wiring error or similar.

Thats not ignoring it.

That said, I would still think correcting this issue would be worthwhile.

Quick Reply: What OBD Code do you regularly get, ignore and clear and why?