Sponsored by: DashLynx

Spoiler wall

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 02:19 PM
dalehelman
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Spoiler wall

This maybe sacrilegious. While waiting for my replacement spoiler wall. I repaired the old one with Gorilla Tape. This fix maybe stronger and last longer than the original. That stuff is really tuff and very sticky.
Old 05-10-2014, 05:43 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

I replaced my spoiler wall last year but you wouldn't be the first one to fix it with tape and leave it (probably last longer...).
Old 05-11-2014, 09:41 AM
justin993
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dalehelman
This maybe sacrilegious. While waiting for my replacement spoiler wall. I repaired the old one with Gorilla Tape. This fix maybe stronger and last longer than the original. That stuff is really tuff and very sticky.
I'm not one to do half-*** repairs on the 993, but done neatly, gorilla tape is a good temporary fix.

... Cut width of spoiler wall, span tape over cracked seam, then run 2 more lengths of tape to span the top and bottom edge of the piece of tape spanning the spoiler wall seam
Old 05-12-2014, 01:15 PM
Davies
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've replaced three spoiler walls in eleven years. Gorilla tape is of superior quality, imo.
Old 05-12-2014, 01:20 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

I had Gorilla Tape on my spoiler for about 3 years, just replaced the wall last fall.
Personally, i don't see anything wrong with the gorilla tape fix, as long as it is done neatly.
Old 05-12-2014, 04:12 PM
ble2011
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Bought one last year and the darn thing is not made correctly. Kept pulling off the 'click' location at the top. I double checked that it's completely seated. I must've gotten one from the bad batch. Have been running without one last year and will probably leave it off as long as I do not see the temp climbing.
Old 05-12-2014, 04:16 PM
1stgear
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Davies
I've replaced three spoiler walls in eleven years. Gorilla tape is of superior quality, imo.
Matt, that door pull is hilarious!
Old 05-12-2014, 04:17 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 64 Posts

This is one of the parts that my wrench insists on using only a factory part. I installed one that I got from an online merchant and it gave up the ghost in two years. Now that the OE part is installed, we'll see how long IT lasts.
Old 05-12-2014, 04:30 PM
Zeichen 282
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a feeling the spoiler wall is really only functionally needed for extended driving at very high speeds such as traveling on the Autobahn in Germany. The fastback aerodynamics of the car makes it more challenging to channel enough air to the fan/intake the faster you go.

The kind of driving most of us do here in the US probably doesn't present nearly as much of an cooling issue - that said, my spoiler wall has been completely torn for a year now and I have not seen any increase in oil temp all things being equal. I don't do DE/track, if I did I'd probably want it fixed. And as long as I don't raise the spoiler manually to look at the thing my OCD won't make me want to fix it, either.

Just my opinion, not based on facts or research, only observation and speculation!
Old 05-13-2014, 06:56 AM
DanL993
button queen

Originally Posted by Zeichen 282
I have a feeling the spoiler wall is really only functionally needed for extended driving at very high speeds such as traveling on the Autobahn in Germany. The fastback aerodynamics of the car makes it more challenging to channel enough air to the fan/intake the faster you go.

The kind of driving most of us do here in the US probably doesn't present nearly as much of an cooling issue - that said, my spoiler wall has been completely torn for a year now and I have not seen any increase in oil temp all things being equal. I don't do DE/track, if I did I'd probably want it fixed. And as long as I don't raise the spoiler manually to look at the thing my OCD won't make me want to fix it, either.

Just my opinion, not based on facts or research, only observation and speculation!
I'm still waiting for the definitive word on cooling or aero that tells me why that spoiler is there in the first place.

Until then, I did the spoiler mod and 1) don't worry about replacing bearings or walls, and 2) have a better looking car going down the street without that "cafeteria tray" up in the air!
Old 05-13-2014, 09:43 AM
PRSWILL
Rennlist Member

Received 442 Likes on 292 Posts

I replaced mine this spring- if it goes out again- gorilla tape it will be!
Old 05-13-2014, 11:11 AM
dalehelman
Advanced

Got my replacement today. I think I will leave the G tape on and see how long it will last.
Old 05-13-2014, 11:28 AM
Davies
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1stgear
Matt, that door pull is hilarious!
Thanks! Knocked a full second off my 0-to-open times :-)

Quick Reply: Spoiler wall