Sponsored by: DashLynx

993 C2 vs C4

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 07:52 PM
993Carrera
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 993 C2 vs C4

I'm in the market for a 993 and am considering both the 1996 Carrera 2 and 4. I don't have any weather that would require the 4 and I have heard it's a little more sluggish. However, I've also heard it's more "stable". I was hoping to get some opinions on both the difference in driving and, just as important, the difference in maintenance/cost. Thanks!
Old 06-02-2014, 08:28 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

They're both great, just a tad different. Neither is "better", it really depends on your needs.

That said, since these cars are coming up on 20 years old, I'd buy the best one you can afford that's in great condition, well cared for and with a comprehensive service history. Find and buy THAT car, regardless if C2 or C4, and you will be a happy man
Old 06-02-2014, 08:28 PM
G-MASSA
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Last year I purchased a Carrera 4. I was definitely not in the market for an all-wheel-drive car But for no good reason whatsoever. On my first test drive I noticed the driving experience was actually different Compared to my fathers 993 Carrera 2. Perhaps it was psychological but I really felt the front doing some work- Even in the dry. After a year of ownership I truly love this car. It's more confidence inspiring the corners and I do not feel a significant difference in weight or acceleration compared to the C2 (targa anyway). In fact-I found press information stating the Carrera 4 actually out accelerated the 2 (a 10th of a second or so quicker to 60- Not that it matters to me at all).

The production numbers are actually quite low for the Carrera 4, and It comes with the ABD Option as standard.

Bottom line, I was not interested in a Carrera 4 for no good reason and it has turned out to be a wonderful car. I've had no mechanical issues related to the drivetrain, and it's really fun to take it out on a rainy day and push it around. I love it.
Attached Images  
Old 06-02-2014, 08:36 PM
Vorsicht
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Go and drive both and see for yourself. Just for your info there were 2109 c2 coupes and 411 C4 coupes sold in the us for model year 1996. If it were me I would continue to look at both and buy the one in the best condition with the most service history. As Goofball said they are both great.
Old 06-02-2014, 09:18 PM
Blue TTop
Pro

Received 68 Likes on 37 Posts

The 964 C4 weighed 220 pounds over the C2, which is where I believe the "sluggish" reputation was born. For the 993, Porsche greatly improved and simplified the system. The 993 C4 weighs only 110 pounds more than the C2. In the 993, the C4 allows enough rear wheel spin and also dials up the front wheel grip. No torque is delivered to the front wheels until the rears slip, which allows a maximum of 30% of available torque to front axle.

In 1995 the C4 cost $3,300 more than the C2. In December 1994 Car & Driver wrote, "Trust us, this car (993 C4) is more than $3,300 better than the rear-drive Carrera (with a limited-slip, which is standard on C4) -- If Porschephiles were perfectly openminded, the sales mix would flop to 70/30 all-wheel-drive. It's simply that good."

"THE VERDICT: Porsche has discovered the perfect mix of tail-out fun and all-wheel-drive security."
The following users liked this post:
larrygk (12-21-2020)
Old 06-02-2014, 09:32 PM
EDoyle
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

^^I did not know the C4 came standard with a LSD , very neat...wouldn't mind one myself!

I know it doesn't quite compare, but I loved my 996 C4 for launches and confidence taking corners. Would buy one again no matter what the generation of 911.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:01 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
They're both great, just a tad different. Neither is "better", it really depends on your needs.

That said, since these cars are coming up on 20 years old, I'd buy the best one you can afford that's in great condition, well cared for and with a comprehensive service history. Find and buy THAT car, regardless if C2 or C4, and you will be a happy man
^^^this

WB, NB, C2, C4...especially in this very hot market, your choices evaporate very fast.

Determine your budget
what color preference-in/out
preferred options
preferred mods

The expect to throw all that out the window when "the one" comes available.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:49 PM
soundbehindyou
Burning Brakes

Received 203 Likes on 90 Posts
Default The next best one...

+1 for the Magdaddy!
Old 06-03-2014, 12:59 AM
frankv
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by G-MASSA
Last year I purchased a Carrera 4. I was definitely not in the market for an all-wheel-drive car But for no good reason whatsoever. On my first test drive I noticed the driving experience was actually different Compared to my fathers 993 Carrera 2. Perhaps it was psychological but I really felt the front doing some work- Even in the dry. After a year of ownership I truly love this car. It's more confidence inspiring the corners and I do not feel a significant difference in weight or acceleration compared to the C2 (targa anyway). In fact-I found press information stating the Carrera 4 actually out accelerated the 2 (a 10th of a second or so quicker to 60- Not that it matters to me at all).

The production numbers are actually quite low for the Carrera 4, and It comes with the ABD Option as standard.

Bottom line, I was not interested in a Carrera 4 for no good reason and it has turned out to be a wonderful car. I've had no mechanical issues related to the drivetrain, and it's really fun to take it out on a rainy day and push it around. I love it.
What a beautiful car!
Old 06-03-2014, 01:25 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Zero practical difference, certainly on the street. Factory LSD is a paperweight inside the transaxle. 964 AWD IS a better solution if you need AWD, but if you discuss either system with Andy Cherry who trains the techs at the Ontario PCNA center since the 964 was a new car he'll laugh and say there was no real AWD until the 997.

As above, get the best car that appeals to you in your price range.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:25 AM
porsita
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993Carrera
I'm in the market for a 993 and am considering both the 1996 Carrera 2 and 4. I don't have any weather that would require the 4 and I have heard it's a little more sluggish. However, I've also heard it's more "stable". I was hoping to get some opinions on both the difference in driving and, just as important, the difference in maintenance/cost. Thanks!
Late model Carrera 4 has ABD and LSD as standard I believe and can be had in both narrow and wide bodied iterations
Drive one vs say a 1995 and see what you think
As the crew here says, act on a good one irrespective.....
That's what I did and ended up with a cab 4
Old 06-03-2014, 03:37 PM
Peter B
Rennlist Member

I've driven both quite a bit. A C4 is my usual drive and has been since 2006. first job was to replace the front diff. oil seals - I could hear my mechanic swearing whilst he did them so perhaps not the easiest job.

The biggest difference I find between the two is the amount of steering wheel jiggle - far more in a C2. The C4 seems slightly duller up to a point but if you are pressing on (know what I mean? Wink. Wink.) you will find that the steering lightens up considerably - right up to the point that you get break-away, followed by usually an o-er moment.

Each to their own, but buy on condition. there really are so few cars out there that I think you will have to compromise a lot on colour and options!

HTH
Old 06-03-2014, 04:10 PM
RichPugh
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What a lot of people don't understand is that the 993 AWD system is nothing like they assume. Most people assume its like the 964 or 50/50 or 25/25/25/25 like Quattro, but it's more like an old VW Syncro system... but backwards, lol. It's a viscous coupling system set at 95R/5F (which I believe is totally dictated by the rear tire diameter being slightly smaller than the front, stock)... until the rear wheels start to break loose. Then it sends up to 35% (iirc) to the front (ads have said up to 50%?)... so it's still only basically 70R/30F at most and honestly, it WORKS! It turns-in like a rwd car, it's been known to be more stable at higher speeds and it's only like 110 lbs total heavier... and it's placed well over the center and front wheels. Only when it starts to oversteer and correct does it show its awd colors. You can still steer with throttle, you can still loop it out. Don't let the awd system come close to deterring you from finding a car. It is NOT more sluggish (def impossible to determine seat of pants). It requires very little maintenance and it comes stock with the LSD. Plus, silver calipers are cool

Old 06-03-2014, 06:00 PM
996scott
Rennlist Member

Received 202 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by G-MASSA

What wheels do you have on your car? Are they from a Cayman?
Old 06-03-2014, 06:34 PM
G-MASSA
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They are 2009 997.2 wheels. I think they are considered "Carrera IV".
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: 993 C2 vs C4