Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

993 Targa value + - =?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 09:24 PM
coreseller
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 51 Posts

To the original poster, I found as others have stated values go down from Coupe to Targa, then down more to Cabs. That is where they seemed to be 4 years ago when I was shopping.

I considered buying a targa briefly until I realized, for me at least, that the grafted on roof disrupted one of most beautifully designed areas of the 993 IMO where the rear pillar flows into and onto the rear quarter. Not having that section of the car to admire was simply a deal breaker.

Old 08-29-2014, 12:14 AM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I sold my 36K miles 6sp Targa about 2 years ago after 5 years and 10,000 miles of trouble free ownership. Pay a fair price for a good Targa and the roof should be a non-issue. Like most things it's better to pay a little more upfront for a good example as it will cost you less in the long run. I bought my car at the high end of the price range at the time and sold it for only a few thousand less than I paid. I suspect today it's worth a bit more. I'll PM you the details so you'll have a few more data points.

I have no interest in racing a street car or modifying it to be a race car so the roof is a non-issue. I wanted a relatively fast car that I could enjoy in any weather and for that the Targa is unique. I actually sold it in favor of a Vanquish S and you know what - I miss the targa roof. If Aston made a car with a roof like the 993 Targa I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:59 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 853 Likes on 435 Posts

Personally, I love the idea of the Targa, as well as the Cab, but I would NEVER buy either. I'm a coupe guy since I don't want to get sunburned in a cab and don't want to own a car where hooligans could mess with my top (slit with a knife, etc).

Also, the repair and expense to have a Cab wouldn't be worth it for me (to have to replace that top one day). Also, I like to fly under the radar and Washington DC is pretty conservative. Cabs are too flamboyant for me. I'm a dark sunglasses guy with my coupe body hiding me more than a Cab would.

The Targas are totally appealing to me but I like the rigidity of the coupe instead. Also, I think there's around 17 motors on the Targa. With my luck, they'd get messed up and cost a ton to repair right after I buy the car.
Old 08-29-2014, 07:56 AM
Todynot
Burning Brakes

Received 156 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
Hmm, my old Targa was not a bad looking car - and no basket handle to be seen .... With MY02's
That's no ordinary targa. Nice car.
Old 08-29-2014, 07:57 AM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by coreseller
...roof disrupted one of most beautifully designed areas of the 993 IMO where the rear pillar flows into and onto the rear quarter.
Agreed. As I Targa owner, that's the one small regret I have. Not a deal breaker for me given the function of the roof, but something I wish they would have better integrated into the roof design.

I realize 99.5% of the population probably wouldn't even notice this, but clearly some of us do ;-)
Old 08-29-2014, 10:02 AM
Grapeape
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by fatmike
I loved my Targa. Absolutely loved it and miss it. I only sold it to buy a tricked out C4S. That is pretty much the only car I would have sold the targa for...

/
Mike, rest assured she is in good hands. We can always arrange for week-end visitation but that means I would have the C4S as PIK "Porsche in Kind", not quite equal but I could live with it.
Old 08-30-2014, 12:41 PM
MielsOnWheels
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I found as others have stated values go down from Coupe to Targa, then down more to Cabs.

...again, this is 100% incorrect...
Old 08-30-2014, 03:17 PM
coreseller
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by VA993Dreamer
I found as others have stated values go down from Coupe to Targa, then down more to Cabs.

...again, this is 100% incorrect...
Sounds like I touched a nerve. Sorry, but when I was looking to purchase a 993 a few years back the above was 100% correct based on the 4 to 6 months I was searching for like cars (clean no-hit / no paintwork examples with under 60k miles and full service history). I primarily searched here, Pelican, Autotrader and vaguely on ebay in the Midwest area.

I did not chart it out on an Excel sheet or anything but from memory targas were ~ $2k less that coupes, cabs were ~ $4k less than coupes. I'd go to the "Prices Paid" sticky and research further but I frankly don't care enough to bother. Maybe in today's market things are different but that is where the prices were 2010-2011 from my experience.

To the OP......Good Luck on the hunt.......
Old 08-30-2014, 03:27 PM
Kacey
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VA993Dreamer
I found as others have stated values go down from Coupe to Targa, then down more to Cabs. ...again, this is 100% incorrect...
In my neck of the woods, cabs go for a lot less. Could be because the summers are short. People can ask whatever they want... But what the car actually sell for is what matters.
http://www.lespac.com/lachine/vehicu...&requester=SCH
Old 08-30-2014, 03:35 PM
MielsOnWheels
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by coreseller
Sounds like I touched a nerve. Sorry, but when I was looking to purchase a 993 a few years back the above was 100% correct based on the 4 to 6 months I was searching for like cars (clean no-hit / no paintwork examples with under 60k miles and full service history). I primarily searched here, Pelican, Autotrader and vaguely on ebay in the Midwest area.

I did not chart it out on an Excel sheet or anything but from memory targas were ~ $2k less that coupes, cabs were ~ $4k less than coupes. I'd go to the "Prices Paid" sticky and research further but I frankly don't care enough to bother. Maybe in today's market things are different but that is where the prices were 2010-2011 from my experience.

To the OP......Good Luck on the hunt.......
Not a single nerve touched actually, I'm simply interested in trying to do my part to ensure that accurate information is posted on the board. There are many examples of Cabs selling for more than their equivalent Coupes and vice-versa. There are many examples of Targas selling for more then their equivalent Cab and vice-versa. There are many examples of Coupes selling for more than their equivalent Targa, and vice-versa.

It is true that the Cabs were more expensive than the Coupes when they were new and today that delta in price has for the most part gone away, but on the used market today, there is no consistent trend of one style of the various NB cars selling for more than the others. Prices are all over the map regardless of NB body style and that variability is based primarily on factors like mileage, options, service history, condition, etc. The body style is a buyer preference generally, not a price preference.

Again, not trying to hijack the thread OP, good luck with the hunt!
Old 08-30-2014, 03:38 PM
MielsOnWheels
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Kacey
In my neck of the woods, cabs go for a lot less. Could be because the summers are short. People can ask whatever they want... But what the car actually sell for is what matters.
http://www.lespac.com/lachine/vehicu...&requester=SCH
Your neck of the woods is the frozen tundra of Montreal, that would make sense that Cabs command a lower price than Coupes, lol. But you raise another good point that affects pricing, regional preferences based on weather.
Old 08-30-2014, 11:30 PM
Tony.CO
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I appreciate the input, even the back and forth.

I did view the car again today. Nothing changed, it's still a peach. Love the Targa top.

Time to pull trigger or let her go. Nice long weekend to decide.
Old 08-31-2014, 12:07 AM
coreseller
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tony.CO
I appreciate the input, even the back and forth.

I did view the car again today. Nothing changed, it's still a peach. Love the Targa top.

Time to pull trigger or let her go. Nice long weekend to decide.
No worries on the back and forth....by far and away the Rennlist site is the most civil Porsche website out there, GREAT members and Phenomenal Knowledge.

As others have stated, Coupe, Targa or Cab......Condition.......Available Service History.......Then Decide.......
Old 09-02-2014, 06:13 PM
Tim, near Boston
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S

Also, I think there's around 17 motors on the Targa. With my luck, they'd get messed up and cost a ton to repair right after I buy the car.
Three, actually. Two for the glass roof and one for the blind.

How many in a sunroof coupe?
Old 09-02-2014, 06:16 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim, near Boston
Three, actually. Two for the glass roof and one for the blind.

How many in a sunroof coupe?
I think that Steve was counting his shaver as well ...

Quick Reply: 993 Targa value + - =?