Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Windshield install. Any words of wisdom?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 08:24 PM
initial
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield install. Any words of wisdom?

I'm rolling the dice and having my windshield replaced on Wednesday by a Canadian auto glass chain. I was quoted $795 + tax for product and installation.

Assuming they will listen, does anyone have any words of wisdom I can share with them?
Old 09-08-2014, 08:28 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,391 Likes on 2,510 Posts

Are you rust free? Do they have the proper templates? OE glass? Removing your dash?
Old 09-08-2014, 08:42 PM
initial
Instructor

Originally Posted by LexVan
Are you rust free? Do they have the proper templates? OE glass? Removing your dash?
The rust was taken care of before I acquired the car. I assume I am rust free.

Does the dash have to come out for all replacements?

I dont know what templates are used for in glass replacement, but I can certainly ask.

Thanks.
Old 09-08-2014, 08:54 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 174 Likes on 105 Posts

Don't do it!

Since you are so close to Montreal, I would call the owner at Vite Vitres Jacques (J. Tarpinian) - outstanding attention to detail, he knows Porsches (and Ferrari) well. He gets the call for all their dealer work.

He actually owns a 993... and had some interesting stories about learning the trade on trips to Germany, including fun stuff like Targa rear windows!

I don't have his business card on hand (I am on vacation), but I would never go to a generic chain if I was in reasonable driving distance. A windshield is a do once, do right deal.

Cheers

Matt
Old 09-08-2014, 08:57 PM
doublecabmel
Three Wheelin'

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Get the rope to stop the squeaking
Old 09-09-2014, 12:43 AM
justin-in-athens
Pro

Tell them to send their most experienced tech, or perhaps two. When they arrive, if neither has done a older 911 before, close the door.
Old 09-09-2014, 01:12 AM
Dr. No
Race Director

Received 403 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by justin-in-athens
Tell them to send their most experienced tech, or perhaps two. When they arrive, if neither has done a older 911 before, close the door.
Yes, except ask them first if they've ever done a 993 windshield. If not, don't bother answering the door.
Old 09-09-2014, 01:26 AM
boman993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Lane
Don't do it!

Since you are so close to Montreal, I would call the owner at Vite Vitres Jacques (J. Tarpinian) - outstanding attention to detail, he knows Porsches (and Ferrari) well. He gets the call for all their dealer work.

He actually owns a 993... and had some interesting stories about learning the trade on trips to Germany, including fun stuff like Targa rear windows!

I don't have his business card on hand (I am on vacation), but I would never go to a generic chain if I was in reasonable driving distance. A windshield is a do once, do right deal.

Cheers

Matt
Matt, I would drive from Toronto to Montreal to get a new windshield installed properly. Can you PM me the contact details when you get back from your vacation? A new windshield is in the cards...

Thanks!!
Old 09-09-2014, 04:15 AM
bcameron59
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by initial
I'm rolling the dice and having my windshield replaced on Wednesday by a Canadian auto glass chain. I was quoted $795 + tax for product and installation.
Can you post who it is (or PM me)? Best price I've found in Calgary is $200 more than the quote you got.

The templates are a good idea as they are used to set the glass at the right depth so seals fit properly, but I'd be astounded if they had them.
Old 09-09-2014, 04:30 AM
callipygian 911
Racer

The dash does not have to come out, but if you need it to for any reason, this is the time.
Old 09-09-2014, 05:13 AM
Peter B
Rennlist Member

Make sure they place the screen squarely in the aperture. If they don't the outer seal will not sit properly on the scuttle and the void will easily fill with rain. Two years later your scuttle will start to rust. I know this because the former approved Porsche Bodyshop in my locality did this to my car and when I drew their attention to the problem they tried to fill the void in the scuttle with mastic and refused to do any further work. This is probably why they are no longer approved and I've had the expense of redoing the whole scuttle/new screen.
Old 09-09-2014, 09:51 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,456 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Ask to look at the car once the old glass is out and the new is not in yet. Invariably there will be places where the sealant and pait is scraped off to bare metal from removing the old glass. Ask the technician to make sure these open spots are sealed shut with the replacement sealant. Not sure you should be concerned about OE glass as all the Porsche branded or aftermarket labeled glass comes from the same OE German supplier. That is why the job is $600 not $300 for a Jetta. For those who are unaware the 993 is not like the old 1980's Carrera glass the 993 glass is glued in place with sealant not held in place by a rubber gasket. Most any major glass shop should be able to do the job with no issues as precision placement of the glass in the opening is standard operating procedure.

Andy
Old 09-09-2014, 10:50 AM
LAURIER
Addict
Rennlist Member

Take off the top of the dash yourself (it's easy) and make sure the tech has done 993's before.

Buy a new outer seal and have them install it on the windshield before they install it. This will allow them to center it properly before the glue sets.

It's a good idea to have this done at your location so you don't have to drive the car for 12-24 hours, good luck.
Old 09-09-2014, 11:11 AM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Lane
Don't do it!

Cheers

Matt
+1 so much heartache on this topic I'd only go on a personal recommendation.

Originally Posted by LAURIER
Take off the top of the dash yourself (it's easy) and make sure the tech has done 993's before.

Buy a new outer seal and have them install it on the windshield before they install it. This will allow them to center it properly before the glue sets.

It's a good idea to have this done at your location so you don't have to drive the car for 12-24 hours, good luck.
Great idea on placing the outerseal first. You could also use the old one if you didn't have a new one. It barely fits over the gap when centered. Off by a mm or 2 and maybe not.

What is the reason to take the dash cover off?
Old 09-09-2014, 11:47 AM
jotaking
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Don't do it...

This is one of the Achilles heals, even the pros can get this one wrong!!
If seals aren't correctly aligned in 2-3 years your scuttle will rust.

As said,

Get an expert with plenty of experience.

Luckily I had mine done by Autoglass UK (NW) they have one guy who just does old Porches.

Even he said they were a PIA!!

Good Luck!

Quick Reply: Windshield install. Any words of wisdom?