Sponsored by: DashLynx

windshield crack repair

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 09:54 PM
windydog
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default windshield crack repair

Did a search and found lots of replacing the windshield threads. Was thinking of trying a DIY window repair kit.

Also, read that Safelite was a crap shoot.

Anyone in Orange County, CA have a place they can recommend to get this little bugger fixed?

Anyone try the DIY approach?

Thanks!

Old 10-05-2014, 10:29 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,456 Likes on 1,027 Posts

I have used the home DIY kit at an auto parts store. It will minimize the appearance of the chip. My experience is that nothing will completely eliminate its visibility. My last windshield was the original one that came on the car. I did not replace it until it had several chips that I had filled, the last one being too big and deep to properly fill in so I moved to a new one.
Old 10-06-2014, 03:16 AM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

IF the chip is in driver's line of sight, your insurance company will foot the bill (if you have glass coverage might be the caveat). I had this done on another car...not a perfect fix, but it was low in the line of sight, so not an issue and windshield hasn't cracked further.
Old 10-06-2014, 06:34 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Lance,
Lots of windshield repair places will come to you house to do the repair. The resin repair is not perfect, but it does stop the propagation of the crack and will be much less noticible than what you have going on here.
If you chose to repair, at least there are no worries about possible leaking or creaking windshield.
Old 10-07-2014, 12:03 AM
deekay911
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Sometimes I am glad in live in South Carolina - no smog, and mandatory free windshield replacement on insurance, no questions asked. Having said that I would have that repaired in an instant, not worth the risk of disrupting an original intact seal unless you really have to.
Old 10-07-2014, 12:55 AM
993/907
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say try the $20 DIY if so inclined, see how it works for you.
I've done my own several times and they seem as good as the pro's.

Had the windshield polished once to remove scratches from a goofy wiper blade, slick fix.

Safelite replaced the original windshield in my '95 last month, no probs.

Gordo
Old 10-07-2014, 01:50 AM
windydog
Pro

thanks everyone.

I am opting for the DIY method. I am going to try the rain x one, seems to have many good reviews. Will post pictures and let everyone know how it turns out.

From what I gather, best not to do repair on a super hot windshield.
Old 10-07-2014, 01:57 AM
espanolie
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'm in your same position with a small chip/crack in the original windshield. my stubbornness won't let me replace it, but would certainly be receptive to a diy fix.

give us an update on your choice of repair and its results. pics are always nice.
Old 10-07-2014, 01:39 PM
Peter B
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I seriously doubt that any DIY repair will ever prove to be as durable as a new for old or a repair correctly done by an expert...

My Bimmer 1 series was struck by something sharp enough to gouge a large chunk out of the middle of the screen. It was not deemed sufficiently dangerous by our own UK regulations so I opted for one of those free repairs. After 3 attempts (all of which appeared perfect, but which failed after rain) I contacted "Glassman" who posts on the Pistonheads forum. Apparently the only repair which is permanent requires drilling into the core of the glass. This is risky and the screen may crack, but if done properly the repair will then hold and all you are left with is a slight visible distortion in the affected area.

Best of luck with the DIY route but I think in the end you will have to replace the screen.
Old 10-07-2014, 03:44 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,456 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by deekay911
Sometimes I am glad in live in South Carolina - no smog, and mandatory free windshield replacement on insurance, no questions asked. Having said that I would have that repaired in an instant, not worth the risk of disrupting an original intact seal unless you really have to.
I second this!
Old 10-07-2014, 05:46 PM
PRSWILL
Rennlist Member

Received 442 Likes on 292 Posts

I had a chip fixed by a PCA recommended group for 60 bucks this summer- came to the house and fixed it in 30 minutes- looks really good. Not worth the kit on my mind for the cost- which was paid by insurance anyway
Old 10-07-2014, 11:42 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

I've had the safelite chip repair in a bunch of cars, german and otherwise. They're not always perfect but usually pretty good. Even if insurance didn't cover the $50, having them come out seems like a no brainer.
Old 10-08-2014, 09:31 AM
windydog
Pro

Safeco quoted me 109 dollars. I did the work with my insurance option also and it said i had to pay my deductible first which is more than 109.

I have a crack looks like this on another car for 6 years, and no propagation.

I am a little worried about thermal expansion rate variations, but i think i should be fine.

Planning to do the repair saturday.
Old 10-08-2014, 09:50 AM
coreseller
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 52 Posts

I have used the DIY kit from Autozone 3 different times now, the first was on a Boxster 5 to 6 years back, the most recent earlier this year on a Miata. When I got the crack in the Boxster I figured what the heck, why not spend $10 to $20 and give it a try. The end results completely eliminated any trace of a crack in the first two repairs and have held up for years, the Miata fix hid about 80% of the crack I'd say, I should of heated the glass up with a hair dryer to get the resin to flow better since it was cold outside.

The sooner you use the kit on a crack the better the result since less crap can enter into it. Make sure to follow the directions closely, good luck.
Old 10-08-2014, 10:07 AM
k722070
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts

state mandated 'free' windshield repair or replace just means you are paying for it in your insurance premiums. you are also paying for it in higher windshield repair and replacement costs.
nothing is actually free.

utah doesn't require insurance companies to replace or repair for 'free' so chip repair is cheap.
there is a TechnaGlass shop on the way home from the track, I use them at least twice per season
to fix my windshield. costs 20 bucks and takes 15 minutes, you have to look closely to find
all the chips they have repaired.

Quick Reply: windshield crack repair