Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

OT: What is so special about the TAG Monaco watch?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 05:52 PM
Sciotoboy
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Monacos wear well,aren't too expensive so you worry about them,and have the car culture tie-in.Go for it if you like the look.
Old 11-19-2014, 05:59 PM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Heck!!! I forgot there is a watch sub-forum.
Old 11-19-2014, 06:56 PM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 568 Likes on 250 Posts

I have a re-edition Heuer Carrera and Monza that I purchased when they were released years ago & I've worn them both regularly without a single issue. I also have other much more expensive watches that are kept in a quality winding case and worn sparingly for special occasions that require costly mainteance on a much more regular basis.... I love the 60's reserved simplicity of their design & unpretentious status for a daily watch. I like the Monza, though its size is a little much for me.

If you're into historic road racing, then the connection to the Heuer brand is second to none (perhaps the Rolex Daytona is close).
Old 11-19-2014, 08:06 PM
doberdog

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Love Archie Luxury Fu#kers…
For less money the Tudor Heritage Blue Chrono would be my choice…
Attached Images  
Old 11-19-2014, 08:37 PM
Tom T.
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by axl911
The Patek and Rolexes are blue chips, but they are too old man's watch. I do like the Speedmaster. But this Monaco was coming up at a good price. Wondering if this watch has merits or if it's just all blings for the price.
The Monaco would be more of a fun/cool watch than the Speedmaster.
Having said this, I like the Speedy better as it more iconic with it's NASA certification, moon landing, space flights, and historical significance (click). The connection of the Monaco to McQueen, and the LeMans movie, is over hyped. This article might interest you - click.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:39 PM
kreeshp
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 993Brendan
I love the look of the Monoco and could care less about the McQueen tie in.
could NOT care less is what you meant
Old 11-19-2014, 09:09 PM
Donster
Pro

Originally Posted by pirahna
$85 is very cheap. My Omega Speedmaster is about $500 for factory service. I have heard there is a shop in SF that will do it for $350-400 but never heard anywhere near $85.
Well, to be honest last time it was $120-130, I forget which. And it took him forever because he's super slow. Around 2 months. But he also had to replace the crystal, which probably accounts for the extra cost.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:53 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 513 Likes on 189 Posts

It's all marketing BS, hehe! Steve McQueen, NASA - product placement at its best

The Tudor is a wannabe. Never understood the appeal of those. Cheaper Rolex? What's the point?

I do like the Speedmaster but personally prefer the non-chrono Planet Ocean better. The 45.5mm version is very classy.

As far as Tags go, the Carrera Chronograph is a damn good watch. Durable and reliable.

I also like the IWC Chronograph (another marketing scheme with their Top Gun link) and the Chopard Mille Miglia (wait, who got paid for the rights to use that name?).

Regarding service pricing, it varies by geographical region. Where I live I pay $450 at a repair center that's authorized by most of the major Swiss watchmakers. That way if there's an issue I will be covered.
Old 11-19-2014, 10:13 PM
doberdog

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Dude, Tudor is not a Rolex wannabe, it is a separate line made by rolex, very different. I have to Sea Dweller, Speedo pro, TAG F1, Seiko Diver and Tudor Snowflake and others; the Tudor I wear the most. It's not about the price of a watch, it's if the owner likes it. For the money, the Tudor line, made by Rolex, offers excellent value, heritage and they are very well made.
http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/a-week-...ge-chrono-blue
Old 11-19-2014, 11:50 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by axl911
The Patek and Rolexes are blue chips, but they are too old man's watch.
Gotta say, there's nothing old man about my 1973 Rolex Red Letter Submariner.

If you want to buy a watch, nothing beats a great old Rolex. Not only do some of the models not look "old man", they've skyrocketed in value over the last several years.

If you spend good money on a great vintage watch, you'll likely be able to sell it for much more later on. Kinda like a 993. Indeed, this Red Letter Submariner is rather much like the 993 of the watch world, in my opinion.

There are very few TAGs that look as good and also appreciate in value like that
Attached Images  
Old 11-19-2014, 11:58 PM
KP993
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 14 Posts

I always feel the styles of Panerai and Porsche match really well. I can't explain why. Just my gut feeling.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:26 AM
initial
Instructor

Originally Posted by ilko
I do like the Speedmaster but personally prefer the non-chrono Planet Ocean better. The 45.5mm version is very classy.
+1. Planet Ocean is my daily watch. I've wrenched on the car more than a few times while wearing it. The bottom of the clasp is starting to be fairly scratched up but watches are meant to be worn (and 993's driven).
Old 11-20-2014, 10:11 AM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 434 Likes on 272 Posts

The trend is to the large case. As much as I like the looks of the Monaco, it's just too big for my skinny wrist. I wore a ROLEX President for a few years and it looked gargantuan on me, so, as much as I'd like one, the Daytona is not a consideration either. Have downsized to the smaller case ROLEX. Flashback: When I was a poor Ensign in the Navy, I purchased a TUDOR Submariner at the Clark AFB PX for something like $60. That was a stretch, being married and living on $276/month. A ROLEX was out of the question.
Old 11-20-2014, 11:32 AM
mathfuzzy
Rennlist Member

Received 397 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Gotta say, there's nothing old man about my 1973 Rolex Red Letter Submariner.

If you want to buy a watch, nothing beats a great old Rolex. Not only do some of the models not look "old man", they've skyrocketed in value over the last several years.

If you spend good money on a great vintage watch, you'll likely be able to sell it for much more later on. Kinda like a 993. Indeed, this Red Letter Submariner is rather much like the 993 of the watch world, in my opinion.

There are very few TAGs that look as good and also appreciate in value like that
Hard to go wrong with a Sub. Nice watch!
Old 11-20-2014, 11:43 AM
Seamless
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I just picked up this Seiko for a daily watch. I love the classic simplicity and quality, only $500. I'll wear it until it falls off my wrist.

I am not a fan of most of the TAG's, maybe some of the classic Carrera's.

Quick Reply: OT: What is so special about the TAG Monaco watch?