Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

OT: DD suggestion - Aston Martin Vantage?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 07:50 PM
993KT
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 911ist
I've had a couple of Vantages and it is reliable as a rock. The pre-08's has the 4.3L V8 which is a bit under powered and first-gen interior is a bit outdated but can be had for great deals. Excellent car, hand made, classy and Bond's preferred marque
That's good to know that they are pretty reliable. I'd love to have a 4.7 but they are quite a bit more expensive.

If people commute in a $50k BMW 335, I don't see why I can't commute in a $50k AM. Right?

Old GT3 prices shot up recently since the 991 GT3 is automatic only. Sub $60k 996 GT3 are impossible to find. A friend sold his 997 GT3 for $75k last year, and they are all over $100k now.

Think it's coming down to the 996t or Vantage. Just need to go for a test drive when this rain stops.
Old 12-12-2014, 07:57 PM
993KT
Racer

Originally Posted by JM993
I'm with you - I can't tolerate automatics - any type of automatic including dual clutch gearboxes. I DD an E39 M5. It's got a real transmission and of all the BMWs I've owned (M3s, etc) it's by far the best IMHO. Safe, fast, decent handling, practical kid carrier. I don't mind beating on it, leaving it in parking lots, etc. - that's what BMWs are for. If I didn't need the practicality of 4 doors in a DD, I'd just buy a 997. The 996TT is another option, but that interior makes me want to throw up anytime I look at it.
E39 M5 is probably the best BMW ever! Too bad there was never a 6 series of that generation. A friend suggested a 850CSi already.

Last edited by 993KT; 12-14-2014 at 04:01 PM.
Old 12-12-2014, 07:59 PM
doberdog

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

The new Mustang GT is a great choice or the M235i.
Old 12-12-2014, 08:39 PM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

Received 1,371 Likes on 514 Posts

Originally Posted by 993KT
That's good to know that they are pretty reliable. I'd love to have a 4.7 but they are quite a bit more expensive.

If people commute in a $50k BMW 335, I don't see why I can't commute in a $50k AM. Right?

Old GT3 prices shot up recently since the 991 GT3 is automatic only. Sub $60k 996 GT3 are impossible to find. A friend sold his 997 GT3 for $75k last year, and they are all over $100k now.

Think it's coming down to the 996t or Vantage. Just need to go for a test drive when this rain stops.
I'm on my phone so can't write all my thoughts but I have a 996T and a Vantage and would be happy to talk on the phone about the cars if you want. Send me a pm if so.

I have to warn you though that I dd an M3.
Old 12-12-2014, 09:26 PM
JimPA
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

As noted earlier, BMW 850 CSi can be a great car. It looks good but is now 20+ years old. That probably makes later Vantages a more likely choice for DD use.

Last edited by JimPA; 12-12-2014 at 10:03 PM.
Old 12-12-2014, 10:55 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,372 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by 993KT
E59 M5 is probably the best BMW ever!
couldn't disagree more.

what a dreadful vehicle.
Old 12-13-2014, 01:41 AM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
couldn't disagree more.

what a dreadful vehicle.
Sounds about right coming from someone who drives an S-class MB. Different perspective.
Old 12-13-2014, 04:05 AM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I had a 986 prior to my 993, and I loved it. There is something to be said about owning a convertible in California, especially when you're a hours drive from coastal twisty roads! IMS issues and all, I'd own another 986 as a DD easily. I just cannot afford more than one car at present, let alone a second Porsche.

Why not consider a newer Miata or FRS/BRZ? There small, sporty and rather disposable. Buy one that's depreciated a bit already, drive it, enjoy it and sell it a few years later for nearly what you bought it for. A Honda S2000 might be another good option. You can drop the top when it is sunny, and they seem to be appreciating slightly (or holding their value at least) now that production has stopped and enthusiasts are waiting for the next generation. Any of these three could easily be modified into a cheap track rat down the road if you felt inclined to do so.

It sounds like you don't need to haul much with you as far as stuff or people are concerned. While gas is cheap(er) presently, it always costs more here in California. Why not go for a car with decent fuel economy?

As classic as the MB E500 is, it is old like the 993 and likely needing repairs. Also the 8-cylinder engine will inhale gas. It would be way too costly as a DD.

Heck if you really want to spend more money than the above options, why not look at a Boxster Spyder or Cayman R? They'd both be a blast to drive and they're holding their value well too.
Old 12-13-2014, 11:34 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,372 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by JM993
Sounds about right coming from someone who drives an S-class MB. Different perspective.
I was actually coming out of an E36 M3 when I owned one. Loved the e36.

I found the e39 uninspiring. The hydraulic clutch has like no feel (and is made of paper mache), the suspension is soft for a sports sedan, the car is too heavy, too much understeer, motor is powerful but uninteresting. The torque curve is flat and smooth, but there is no feeling of urgency, no "on-cam" feeling. I never felt like I wanted to rev it.

The color combo I had wasn't good either, so that didn't help. I would have liked it better with the camel interior.

Overall I didn't want to drive it hard and driving it casually wasn't that much fun either, so I found it to be a big compromise.
Old 12-13-2014, 02:03 PM
993KT
Racer

Originally Posted by Spyder_Man
I had a 986 prior to my 993, and I loved it. There is something to be said about owning a convertible in California, especially when you're a hours drive from coastal twisty roads! IMS issues and all, I'd own another 986 as a DD easily. I just cannot afford more than one car at present, let alone a second Porsche. Why not consider a newer Miata or FRS/BRZ? There small, sporty and rather disposable. Buy one that's depreciated a bit already, drive it, enjoy it and sell it a few years later for nearly what you bought it for. A Honda S2000 might be another good option. You can drop the top when it is sunny, and they seem to be appreciating slightly (or holding their value at least) now that production has stopped and enthusiasts are waiting for the next generation. Any of these three could easily be modified into a cheap track rat down the road if you felt inclined to do so. It sounds like you don't need to haul much with you as far as stuff or people are concerned. While gas is cheap(er) presently, it always costs more here in California. Why not go for a car with decent fuel economy? As classic as the MB E500 is, it is old like the 993 and likely needing repairs. Also the 8-cylinder engine will inhale gas. It would be way too costly as a DD. Heck if you really want to spend more money than the above options, why not look at a Boxster Spyder or Cayman R? They'd both be a blast to drive and they're holding their value well too.
Thanks, I thought about a BRZ or 350z. But then I realize I haven't been 24 for a long time If I do get back into more regular tracking, a beater BRZ would definitely be the way to go.

I'm not a convertible person, but I like cars with glass roofs.

The cayman is definitely on my watch list. I put that at the same level as a z4 m coupe as the more reasonable / cheaper options.
Old 12-13-2014, 08:06 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
I was actually coming out of an E36 M3 when I owned one. Loved the e36.

I found the e39 uninspiring. The hydraulic clutch has like no feel (and is made of paper mache), the suspension is soft for a sports sedan, the car is too heavy, too much understeer, motor is powerful but uninteresting. The torque curve is flat and smooth, but there is no feeling of urgency, no "on-cam" feeling. I never felt like I wanted to rev it.

The color combo I had wasn't good either, so that didn't help. I would have liked it better with the camel interior.

Overall I didn't want to drive it hard and driving it casually wasn't that much fun either, so I found it to be a big compromise.
Interesting how drivers of the same car can have completely different views. That's what makes boards interesting. I love my e39. One of the few cars I would replace with the same model year rather than a newer version if the need arose.

I agree about the understeer but after replacing all the suspension components, lowering it about 1/2" and adding Bilstein shocks, the handling was much crisper. I'm at 143k miles on the original clutch and never baby it.

What year and color combination did you have? Mine was a DD for about 6 years, summer and winter. Just threw on the snow tires and drove through everything.

Last edited by autobonrun; 12-13-2014 at 08:21 PM.
Old 12-13-2014, 08:26 PM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by autobonrun
Interesting how drivers of the same car can have completely different views. That's what makes boards interesting. I love my e39. One of the few cars I would replace with the same model year rather than a newer version if the need arose.

I agree about the understeer but after replacing all the suspension components, lowering it about 1/2" and adding Bilstein shocks, the handling was much crisper. I'm at 143k miles on the original clutch and never baby it.
Yup, mine has 149K miles on the original clutch. Shock of choice for me are Konis. I fixed the understeer by running a square setup. I fixed the steering by disconnecting the servotronic. There are very few manual trans sport sedans - the E39 M5 is the best one IMHO.
Old 12-14-2014, 02:41 PM
Jbarnes RS
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

V8 M3.......Best daily freeway cruiser. 4 seats. Get one without NAV. No screen clean dash...Last of the Euro muscle car.....love mine...

Nice examples for under $40k.

Quick Reply: OT: DD suggestion - Aston Martin Vantage?