Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Cant decide between Fister Stage II or Stage III - help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 04:13 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by mac993
How's the loudness compared to the supercups?
Supercups are louder than Fister III's - quite a bit louder. Not much different than just disconnecting your mufflers.
Old 03-22-2015, 12:32 PM
rhinomd11
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fister II. Perfect. They actually are on the Loud side for my neighbors. The III are way too loud. Not comfortable for everyday driving. IMO.
Old 03-22-2015, 01:31 PM
NoleenELT
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought my car with the Stage 2, so I have nothing else to compare to, but to me, this is how the car should have sounded from the factory. It gives the car just the right character, but it not ever annoying in any way. If you are mainly driving the car on the street, I would say that it's a great choice.

Plus if there is not enough growl, you can throw an intake or open airbox cover on there to give it more character. The added plus is that it only makes additional noise at high RPM and bigger throttle.

My previous car was an E36 M3 with loud exhaust. It made the car sound great, but I felt like it attracted too much attention, and I hated life after driving on the highway for more than 30 mins or so.
Old 03-22-2015, 06:18 PM
RBP
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My 2 cents. I have the stage II, cone filter and 200 cell cats. The sound is really nice at idle, a nice deep raspy rumble. Everyday driving and cruising on the freeway the sound is pretty close to the stock sound. When you accelerate WOT the sound is deep and loud. Its the best of both worlds. The big difference is at idle and WOT, otherwise close to stock. Perfect for most driving conditions.
Old 03-22-2015, 06:40 PM
nr1416
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RBP
My 2 cents. I have the stage II, cone filter and 200 cell cats. The sound is really nice at idle, a nice deep raspy rumble. Everyday driving and cruising on the freeway the sound is pretty close to the stock sound. When you accelerate WOT the sound is deep and loud. Its the best of both worlds. The big difference is at idle and WOT, otherwise close to stock. Perfect for most driving conditions.

X2
Old 03-22-2015, 07:50 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
Supercups are louder than Fister III's - quite a bit louder. Not much different than just disconnecting your mufflers.
This is a helpful comparison. I had the Supercups with stock cats and they were ultimately too loud for me. The drone, through, was what put me over the edge.

Cheers

Matt
Old 03-22-2015, 08:14 PM
mac993
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Matt Lane
This is a helpful comparison. I had the Supercups with stock cats and they were ultimately too loud for me. The drone, through, was what put me over the edge.

Cheers

Matt
That's why I asked, I know a lot of people here have had the supercups. I had the supercups on for 2 yrs and while they're loud that's not why I took them off. The drone at freeway speeds was atrocious.
Old 03-22-2015, 09:04 PM
David993S
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 103 Posts

OK, here's a different kind of comparison question about Stage II vs. Stage III: On my '97 C2S if I wanted to come the closest to recreating the sound of my '72 911 with a sport muffler, would it be II's or III's?
I currently have RSR's and while they're alright, they are.......uninspiring.
Old 03-24-2015, 04:48 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

I have Stage II and Stage III in my driveway.

From what you are coming from and have had, Get the stage II. They give the car the sound it should have had from the factory. The burble at start up and the sound as you drive away lets everybody know why the car is so awesome to own. It makes the drive a better experience.

The Stage III is indeed fun, liveable and not loud like supercups, but more then you would want for your 993.
I have a greater tendancy to get speeding tickets with the stage III because the sound makes me drive like an animal. Gives the car a different personality and in turn makes me become an urban outlaw.

I love having both.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:23 AM
wtmmm
Instructor

My car came with III's. As said before, it's an aggressive sound. I like it a lot and get many good comments from car fans. However the administrator at my kids' school suggested that I get my car fixed because its too loud! Ha.
Old 03-24-2015, 10:27 AM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 498 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by David993S
OK, here's a different kind of comparison question about Stage II vs. Stage III: On my '97 C2S if I wanted to come the closest to recreating the sound of my '72 911 with a sport muffler, would it be II's or III's?
I currently have RSR's and while they're alright, they are.......uninspiring.
I had RSR's on my C4 and recently converted to Fister III's. Here's a video comparison I posted on YouTube. I also run with Fister III's on my '97 C2S - it's music! I have a friend who had Fister II's on his '97 C2S, and he couldn't wait to swap them out and is much happier now with the III's.
Old 03-24-2015, 12:03 PM
XavierLaFlamme
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 41 Posts

I would like to add that I have IIIs and stock cat.

I experience no drone on highway. My interior has no sound deadening and lightweight carpet and metal floor boards.

--Michael
Old 03-24-2015, 01:53 PM
Spencercat
Track Day

I have Stage IIIs and stock cat. I have heard some complaints from neighbors, and indeed one of my prime regrets about the Stage IIIs is that everyone else gets to enjoy the sound (more than the driver). I do get some minor drone about 2.5-3k RPM when accelerating hard. Other than that they are great. I really enjoyed the burble and bark when I took the 993 for autocross.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:59 AM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 271 Posts

Foxman- very nice comparison video. Love my IIIs!
Originally Posted by Foxman
I had RSR's on my C4 and recently converted to Fister III's. Here's a video comparison I posted on YouTube. I also run with Fister III's on my '97 C2S - it's music! I have a friend who had Fister II's on his '97 C2S, and he couldn't wait to swap them out and is much happier now with the III's. RSR Mufflers compared to Fister III's - Porsche 993 C4 - YouTube
Old 03-26-2015, 12:20 PM
David993S
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 103 Posts

After some flip-flopping between ordering II's or III's I placed my order with Darin. I went with..........II's.

I decided I just wanted something a little louder than my RSR's and that III's might be more "loudness" than I wanted. I have the Ferrari with a Tubi muffler and I decided I didn't really need two loud cars. Just one loud car and one sorta-loud car.

It will take a couple of weeks to get them and once they're installed I'll report if my decision was the right one (for me).

Cheers.

Quick Reply: Cant decide between Fister Stage II or Stage III - help!