Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

993 Accident on Piuma Road in CA?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 12:26 PM
EdwinGamino
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tragic story, my condolences to all his family may you rest in peace.
Old 02-18-2015, 12:35 PM
997s07
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So the cause of the accident is not known? Do 993 engines have coolant line issues like 997 water cooled Mezger engines? Since there was smoke, etc. is this is a possibility? 993 cars have essentially the same, but air cooled specific, split crankcase Mezger engine.
Old 02-18-2015, 12:40 PM
LvnTheDrm
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow...sobering...depressing...humbling...
There are those who usurp energy in interactions with others--and those that spark energy. Vince definitely appears to have added energy wherever he went...RIP.
Old 02-18-2015, 12:40 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,372 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by 997s07
So the cause of the accident is not known? Do 993 engines have coolant line issues like 997 water cooled Mezger engines? Since there was smoke, etc. is this is a possibility? 993 cars have essentially the same, but air cooled specific, split crankcase Mezger engine.
not to derail the thread, but is that a serious question?

Why would an aircooled car have coolant lines and what specific coolant would come out? air?
Old 02-18-2015, 12:48 PM
997s07
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
not to derail the thread, but is that a serious question?

Why would an aircooled car have coolant lines and what specific coolant would come out? air?
I am sorry. I may not have been specific enough. The 997 Mezgers have an elbow plastic tube that feeds the oil coolers. I did not meant the water cooling lines. My apologies.
Old 02-18-2015, 12:59 PM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Such a tragic loss, RIP and deepest condolences to his family
Old 02-18-2015, 01:21 PM
eddielo8
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tragic. RIP.
Old 02-18-2015, 02:22 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The speculation of a mechanical failure, possible smoke coming from front end, may have been "scrubbing" of front tires during understeer. It still saddens me to think of such a nice, polite, intelligent kid being lost at such an early age. Prayers again, to his family and all of his friends.

Thanks "Jay" for the nice photo of him.
Old 02-18-2015, 03:01 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Even though I'm "alumni," I'd still like to be a part of whatever SoCal event that is held in his honor. The photo in my sig to the left was taken on Piuma. Beautiful, and as others have said, unforgiving road.

I was also at the same Pelican event in Palos Verdes with my M3 and saw many 993s, but I'm sad that I missed Vince.
Attached Images  

Last edited by dcdude; 02-18-2015 at 04:05 PM.
Old 02-18-2015, 03:42 PM
asofine
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

This is so tragic. My thoughts are with Vince's family and loved ones. It's nice to see that the prickly 993 RL community is capable of showing signs of humanity in the wake of a tragedy like this. I'll be in SoCal soon and hope to be able to make whatever event is held in Vince's honor.

As an aside, this tragedy has me evaluating how I enjoy my 993. I'm 26 y/o, and was Vince's age when I bought my 993. On city streets and crowded freeways, I'm as conservative a driver as you will see. But on the back roads, I partake in my share of spirited driving. Nothing overly aggressive, just the type of grin inducing acceleration through a turn that any car enthusiast would enjoy. An accident like this is a stark reminder that there is a very fine line between life and death while behind the wheel of a car. I'm not accusing Vince of overindulging (it seems like mechanical error may have been the culprit in his accident), I'm just pointing out that things can and do go wrong on many of the roads we enthusiasts enjoy on a day to day basis. It really hits home for me.
Old 02-18-2015, 03:48 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Godspeed.
Old 02-18-2015, 03:49 PM
six gun
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by asofine
This is so tragic. My thoughts are with Vince's family and loved ones. It's nice to see that the prickly 993 RL community is capable of showing signs of humanity in the wake of a tragedy like this. I'll be in SoCal soon and hope to be able to make whatever event is held in Vince's honor.

As an aside, this tragedy has me evaluating how I enjoy my 993. I'm 26 y/o, and was Vince's age when I bought my 993. On city streets and crowded freeways, I'm as conservative a driver as you will see. But on the back roads, I partake in my share of spirited driving. Nothing overly aggressive, just the type of grin inducing acceleration through a turn that any car enthusiast would enjoy. An accident like this is a stark reminder that there is a very fine line between life and death while behind the wheel of a car. I'm not accusing Vince of overindulging (it seems like mechanical error may have been the culprit in his accident), I'm just pointing out that things can and do go wrong on many of the roads we enthusiasts enjoy on a day to day basis. It really hits home for me.
Words of wisdom, and from someone twice your age, it holds true for us all... be safe out there.
Old 02-18-2015, 03:54 PM
Leander
Rennlist Member

I would also add, and I have no reason to believe it was a factor in this particular sad event, if you're new to doing your own wrenching (like me) please have your work checked out by an expert and make sure your car is properly aligned.
Old 02-18-2015, 04:10 PM
Knight
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

Very nice photo Jay and great to see SoCal RL arranging something to honor this special young man.

A very sad and tragic incident, RIP Vince.
Old 02-18-2015, 04:13 PM
BrotherNature
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by asofine

I agree with you. We all should take a moment to re-evaluate our own safety when out driving our cars. For the past few weeks Vince had been asking me to go on some canyon road ride-alongs with him; it hits me hard that he's so suddenly gone now (I still have parts borrowed from him that I didn't get to return...), but it also chills me to think I could have been in the car with him. Keep it safe out there guys, especially with others in the car. The only thing worse than a loss like this is two losses. And you can never put too high of a price on having a car in safe mechanical operating condition.

Here's a brief obit from the Daily Trojan: http://dailytrojan.com/2015/02/17/us...or-generosity/

I'll try to keep updated on any plans for a memorial service, though its unsure what his family's plans are currently (and I think the USC show is a month or two away). The coroner's office should have released him to his family around today (Wednesday). If there is going to be a larger memorial service than the architecture department's event today, I'd like to see if SoCal RL can pay their respects too.

Quick Reply: 993 Accident on Piuma Road in CA?