Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Excellence VS Panorama

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 03:25 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts

I for one love a magazine I can hold in my hand rather than staring at a monitor which to me is like looking through a keyhole at the article.

I also believe the fact that differences in Panorama vs. Excellence represent a strength and that there should not be one consensus of opinion on an emotional subject like Porsche addiction.
Old 02-21-2015, 08:25 PM
f8vr993
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ian Kuah's recent article in Excellence about new 991GTS was Fabulous! He knows how to write!!!
On this topic of E vs P, I will continue to subscribe to Excellence...
Panorama, I have stop reading it when my PCA membership ran out long ago but with Peter Stout on helm and all the changes he has made to rave reviews... I might just consider renewing my PCA membership.
Old 02-21-2015, 09:20 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 174 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
Interesting to watch you cats zero in on the same thing(s) I see as ripe for improvement. We moved to address a lot quickly with the redesign, and have been working to improve other areas ever since. With limited time resources and legacy systems, the pace has been slower than we'd like.

As for the TQA section, Craig, it is a direct pull from the TQA section of pca.org, and is a digest meant to be shared with readers who enjoy technical reading. (The askers get their answers long before we print the TQAs.) It is only possible due to volunteers on PCA's National Technical Committee, so if you know better than they do, I encourage you to get involved and help 115,000 Porsche enthusiasts instead of moaning to 475 people in an obscure thread on a web forum that the editor may or may not spot? Of course, Rennlist relies on volunteers, too. It has major advantages in strength in numbers and real-world experience, but also a blind spot in that "everyone's an expert" with an equal voice—for better and worse. And that's cool. I love Rennlist for what it is.

But, then, this thread isn't titled Panorama VS Rennlist?

It's titled Excellence VS Panorama. To be honest, I'm thankful on one hand for this thread because its kind offers helpful feedback from real readers, and saddened on the other because Excellence is my "alma mater." I think the OP has it right: One does (and should do) some things better than the other—and I firmly believe it's good to have more than one dedicated U.S. Porsche magazine. (That Falk quote is amazing!)

As for magazines, Ken, I remember thinking their relevance was coming to an end in 2001-2003~. More than a decade later, many magazines are doing just fine, and are far more viable, financially, than websites or car video sites. They also tend to offer a greater separation of church and state, though there are certainly web entities that can be proud in bucking that statement (see Rennlist and Jalopnik and CHOC). Generally speaking, ad rates are far higher for print than they are for web. Will it always be this way? I'm not sure, but there's still a place for magazines in 2015 despite all predictions. The smart books cede what the web does better to focus on what they do better—and do it well.

Perhaps the biggest challenge for magazines I see is the death of the newsstand, a critical tool for finding new subscribers. The industry has yet to find a viable replacement.

Cheers,

pete
Really nice job so far. Thank you. You and the team are doing some really good work.

I am glad you saw this, as I know you value sincere suggestions - including those on the technical section. As a non-commercial enterprise, Rennlist (members) share a lot of similarities with PCA. By its very nature, Rennlist provides a good snapshot of what's going on in the enthusiast community at a point in time, warts and all. It does not take much sleuthing to weed through the BS and discern the types of topics that are of interest to many - and the high level of technical expertise that is out there to be shared in the 'volunteer' community.

Thanks again, I appreciate it.

Best,

Matt
Old 02-23-2015, 01:30 AM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 828 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by stout

As for the TQA section, Craig, it is a direct pull from the TQA section of pca.org, and is a digest meant to be shared with readers who enjoy technical reading. (The askers get their answers long before we print the TQAs.) It is only possible due to volunteers on PCA's National Technical Committee, so if you know better than they do, I encourage you to get involved and help 115,000 Porsche enthusiasts instead of moaning to 475 people in an obscure thread on a web forum that the editor may or may not spot?
Thank you for taking the time to read through this thread and reply.
I must admit, that i was hoping that my post would instigate a reaction from <the editors> and that we would get some input from either you or Greg, or both, perhaps just to see if you care, because I certainly do.

Your reply indicates that you obviously care. I suspect that Greg does also, but perhaps he has not yet seen this "obscure thread on a web forum".

I'm happy to volunteer help as you feel it is appropriate, but keep in mind that as i said in my initial post, "I know that many of the tech editors have forgotten more about these cars than I will ever know".

Best wishes,

Craig
Old 02-23-2015, 01:32 AM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cupcar
I for one love a magazine I can hold in my hand rather than staring at a monitor which to me is like looking through a keyhole at the article.

I also believe the fact that differences in Panorama vs. Excellence represent a strength and that there should not be one consensus of opinion on an emotional subject like Porsche addiction.
you are a wise man
or
your philosophy aligns with my own
or
both
Old 02-23-2015, 08:07 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,301 Likes on 604 Posts

Originally Posted by cgfen
I must admit, that i was hoping that my post would instigate a reaction from <the editors> and that we would get some input...
Most car magazine editors avoid the forums like the plague.

They may be smarter than I am.

pete
Old 02-24-2015, 10:58 PM
joe 997
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

What the heck you have some where between 25K and 125K invested in your car. Live life to the top. Join PCA (I have been a member for 35+ years) great group and you get the much improves Stout Pano. Then spring $25 or what ever and subscribe to Excellence. I can't believe this is being debated. You can afford it.
Old 02-25-2015, 01:12 PM
fineito
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

This thread prompted me to join the PCA and get Pano. I already subscribe to Excellence and have for years. I will dump Automobile when my subscription expires, and already got rid of Car & Driver. I will keep R&T and Motor Trend. Just my personal choices.
Old 02-25-2015, 04:45 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by joe 997
What the heck you have some where between 25K and 125K invested in your car. Live life to the top. Join PCA (I have been a member for 35+ years) great group and you get the much improves Stout Pano. Then spring $25 or what ever and subscribe to Excellence. I can't believe this is being debated. You can afford it.
LOL
Read the thread a bit more carefully?
The intent was to discuss the great / good / no so good with both magazines.
Not to choose between on or the other.

I suspect that most of us, me included, have both delivered to for our reading pleasure.

Cheers

Craig
Old 02-25-2015, 05:51 PM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

As a kid, I used to thumb through my dad's old issues of Panorama and Excellence so I have a fondness for both. I've found the Excellence market updates on select models as a useful resource when first fantasizing about what Pcar I might be able to afford in the future.

Regarding Pete's comments about online vs. printed format, I still have a soft spot for the printed format. The strength of the printed format is its ability to have a more limited, curated selection of article topics that reward the reader with more depth of analysis and a more personal element. Online there is always another link to click and another competing headline or flashing advertisement to distract the reader. The static nature of a printed magazine has its advantages. I enjoy flipping through my copy of Panorama when it first arrives to survey what it includes, then selecting one article to read that evening. I savor my Panorama reading in this way one article at a time, one or two per evening. This lets me reflect on what I've read. In particular I love reading the pieces about the individual cars and owners that have particularly unique stories, the hot-rod stories regarding the 968CS, the 928TT and of course the 300k+ mile 993 all spring to mind.

As a younger reader (early 30s) I have often fantasized about having my car and story featured in Panorama at some point, of course I have to do a lot more with and to my Pcar to make it newsworthy. Pete, great work so far with the Panorama redesign efforts! I look forward to seeing what the future brings. Keep it coming!

Quick Reply: Excellence VS Panorama