Sponsored by: DashLynx

Ignition module failure discovery

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 12:38 AM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Ignition module failure discovery

I just had an engine issue of perhaps interest.

When I built my car I installed switchable ignition coil +12 volt leads like in an old time race car.

When I started the new engine for the first time, it fired right up and after things settled down I decided to test the ignition circuits and viola - one circuit didn't work!

Upshot was my 993 had blown "ignition module" - the current amplifier that handles the coil's current for the ECU.

The engine ran fine on only one circuit and I wonder how many 993 are out there with a blown transistor in their module shutting down one distributor like I experienced.
Old 04-03-2015, 12:59 AM
MDamen
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it runs fine with just one distributor working, how would you know that the other one is not working?
Old 04-03-2015, 08:57 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,455 Likes on 1,026 Posts

In my case, I feel, the idle runs incrementally smoother with both plugs firing. At least once a year I unplug the primary distributor to tests the distributor belt and at that time I would become aware of the secondary having a problem. You make a good point though, that I never test specifically for the primary and so testing the primary at the same time in the future would be a good addition to the procedure.
Thank you for your thoughts here.

Andy
Old 04-03-2015, 10:10 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 517 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by Cupcar
I just had an engine issue of perhaps interest.

When I built my car I installed switchable ignition coil +12 volt leads like in an old time race car.

When I started the new engine for the first time, it fired right up and after things settled down I decided to test the ignition circuits and viola - one circuit didn't work!

Upshot was my 993 had blown "ignition module" - the current amplifier that handles the coil's current for the ECU.

The engine ran fine on only one circuit and I wonder how many 993 are out there with a blown transistor in their module shutting down one distributor like I experienced.
That's interesting, during an engine swap a few years ago we managed to fry one of the ignition modules for no apparent reason
Old 04-03-2015, 01:47 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by pp000830
In my case, I feel, the idle runs incrementally smoother with both plugs firing. At least once a year I unplug the primary distributor to tests the distributor belt and at that time I would become aware of the secondary having a problem. You make a good point though, that I never test specifically for the primary and so testing the primary at the same time in the future would be a good addition to the procedure.
Thank you for your thoughts here.

Andy
Short of an oscilloscope, disconnecting each coil's high tension secondary or 12 volt primary lead one at a time and then starting engine is only way I can think of to test for a blown module.
Old 04-03-2015, 04:28 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,455 Likes on 1,026 Posts

Originally Posted by Cupcar
Short of an oscilloscope, disconnecting each coil's high tension secondary or 12 volt primary lead one at a time and then starting engine is only way I can think of to test for a blown module.
When I speak of primary I am speaking of the mechanical distributor directly driven from the engine and the secondary being the distributor rotated by the internal belt. I may be using the wrong terminology for this.

Andy :-)
Old 04-03-2015, 04:34 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 238 Posts

Good to know.. thanks for sharing...
Old 07-30-2019, 09:55 AM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Seems you could just unplug the coils one at a time. If the car dies, you have a problem? That's how we first found my (first) ignition module problem.
Old 07-30-2019, 08:49 PM
IainM
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
That's interesting, during an engine swap a few years ago we managed to fry one of the ignition modules for no apparent reason
Fry being the operative word. These modules need adequate heatsinking. If there isn't a good metal-to-metal contact for the modules, they will overheat
a pea sized blob of heat sink compound wouldn't hurt either
Old 07-31-2019, 10:55 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Dielectric paste or whatever for heat transfer is critical. It isn't optional.
Old 02-25-2021, 12:46 AM
TDW993
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Just had this on my 993. I did the usual routine belt failure check by pulling each coil and seeing if it starts. It was only firing on the driven/secondary distributor. Swapped the wires on each coil positive and negative and the issue moved to the secondary coil and the primary was working which prove the coils were ok. It seems that only one channel on the ignition module was working. Took a punt and ordered a new module and now have two working distributors. I also found that just putting a timing light on each coil lead and checking for operation of each distributor is a better was of checking operation also. Really happy it wasn’t a wiring issue or ECU.
Thanks for the above information as it helped my diagnosis immensely.

Cheers
Todd
The following users liked this post:
Brando 993 (09-18-2023)
Old 02-27-2021, 03:50 AM
EckFe1
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Long time ago I purchased a tool called OK SPARK. It's a little pricey but it will reveal all of your ignition issues without wrenching on anything.
I discovered a failing spark plug boot which otherwise would have never found.
Old 05-27-2021, 09:33 PM
motobri
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Just had an issue with mine.
The PO has relocated it from under the seat to an aluminum block to mount seat down lower I believe.
So, I remove it from the aluminum block and just had it hanging in front of the seat.
Not thinking about the module, Took the car for a shake down drive nearby and it was running fine and then all of of sudden just dies.
Cranks but won't start. Smells like fuel. Tried DME, no luck. Then think maybe the module needs to be grounded. Try holding it to metal, no luck. Then I see it's split open. Unbelievablly, the PO not only had a spare DME, but also a spare module in the trunk. Swap it out and it fires right up.
Now, my questions is, when I look it up on the parts sites, there is also an insulator? Is that needed? I've got it mounted back where it should be but want to make sure I'm good.

Last edited by motobri; 05-27-2021 at 09:34 PM.
Old 05-27-2021, 09:44 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

The heat sink and the dielectric paste are both critical.
Old 06-03-2021, 04:38 PM
motobri
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by JPS
The heat sink and the dielectric paste are both critical.
Please learn my why? Is the heat sink the insulator? Where do you put the paste?

Quick Reply: Ignition module failure discovery