Sponsored by: DashLynx

How to Wire Up Footwell Lights

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2021, 02:37 AM
vancouver z
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by KeninBlaine
@Jlaa: My new LED lights arrived today, so they took only a few days to arrive from Kentucky. I quickly plugged them in temporarily at the frunk and both worked fine. They are brighter and cooler than the ones I got from Tore for the other lights, but I think they'll be fine in the footwells. If the mismatch with the other interior courtesy lights is too noticeable, I may install these in the frunk and engine compartment, and move those to the foot-wells so they all match inside the cabin. I ran my wiring today, so just have to pull the console now to complete the installation. I also installed my ignition LED (from Radio Shack) today and it works like a charm.
could you supply some more details about the ignition light. i'd love something like that. thanks
Old 11-05-2021, 03:00 AM
vancouver z
Advanced

that is such a well documented project. I'm trying to get a wire through to the frunk to connect to a switched supply on the fuse box for my dash cam, and want to follow the same route through. step 14 you said lying on your back push the coat hanger up... is it really up? or is it more forward through the grommet. I haven't been successful in finding a path through any grommet yet.
and with such a great project done... have you tackled a dash cam yet? any pictures to post if you have?
Old 11-06-2021, 01:10 AM
paranoidandroid
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 74 Posts

It was straight up through the grommet using the coat hanger for me. I did cut the coat hanger and bent it so it was more of a rigid wire. You will need to push somewhat hard through the grommet. I would wrap some electrical tape around the end so the sharp edge of the hanger won't nick any of the other wires through there.

I also had passenger seat out so it was much easier to see what was going on vs fishing around all twisted up like gumby.

Originally Posted by vancouver z
that is such a well documented project. I'm trying to get a wire through to the frunk to connect to a switched supply on the fuse box for my dash cam, and want to follow the same route through. step 14 you said lying on your back push the coat hanger up... is it really up? or is it more forward through the grommet. I haven't been successful in finding a path through any grommet yet.
and with such a great project done... have you tackled a dash cam yet? any pictures to post if you have?
Old 11-07-2021, 12:43 AM
vancouver z
Advanced

Originally Posted by paranoidandroid
It was straight up through the grommet using the coat hanger for me. I did cut the coat hanger and bent it so it was more of a rigid wire. You will need to push somewhat hard through the grommet. I would wrap some electrical tape around the end so the sharp edge of the hanger won't nick any of the other wires through there.

I also had passenger seat out so it was much easier to see what was going on vs fishing around all twisted up like gumby.
got it this time around. thanks for the tips
Old 11-28-2021, 08:26 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by vancouver z
could you supply some more details about the ignition light. i'd love something like that. thanks
Sorry for the slow response. I sold my car in August so am not so active here anymore. I think I bought the LED light at Radio Shack and pierced the dash fabric above the ignition switch to allow it to poke through.
Old 08-30-2023, 09:53 PM
acr89
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 143 Posts

Does anyone know where to tap into under the passenger seat? I’d rather not route wiring from the frunk if I don’t have to.
Old 09-06-2023, 10:39 PM
Reata1
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 55 Posts

Scroll up to post #145

Last edited by Reata1; 09-06-2023 at 10:39 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-07-2023, 06:17 AM
acr89
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Reata1
Scroll up to post #145
145? I only see 30 something posts on this thread, should I be looking at another thread?
Old 09-07-2023, 11:30 AM
Reata1
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 55 Posts

So sorry, operator error. I was looking at another post about the radar detector connection. Totally my error, sorry.
Old 11-12-2023, 02:35 AM
LRsCarreraS
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Ok - Left hanging here. Told power can be had from alarm module under passenger seat. Which wires to power retro footwell lights and ignition light with 20sec on timer? Have the Porsche OE fixtures already…🤘

Thanks Much,
LR
Old 11-12-2023, 03:42 PM
jay@EZimmoblock.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 379 Likes on 224 Posts

Pin I/7 on the ACU (BR/WH wire) provides the switched, 20 second ground that activates the frunk and cabin lights (and in 97/98's, the ignition switch light).
Old 11-12-2023, 03:50 PM
acr89
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jay@EZimmoblock.com
Pin I/7 on the ACU (BR/WH wire) provides the switched, 20 second ground that activates the frunk and cabin lights (and in 97/98's, the ignition switch light).
so it’s a switched ground? Another words I would need to tap into constant hot, and then use pin I/7 for the switched ground?
it seems pretty easy to install footwell lighting, but I’m not totally clear on what parts are needed If I want to retrofit the ignition light.
Old 11-12-2023, 03:56 PM
jay@EZimmoblock.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Correct. Power goes to one side of the light. The other goes to the BR/WH wire on the ACU.
Old 11-13-2023, 11:47 AM
LRsCarreraS
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by jay@EZimmoblock.com
Correct. Power goes to one side of the light. The other goes to the BR/WH wire on the ACU.
So to be 100% clear. One wire would but a t-tap/splice into BR/WH wire out of the black plug, not the yellow plug and to what ever you want to run on 20sec timer. In that same plug is there a constant 12v wire (assuming so). Did the footwell lighting before and just didn’t take pic of which wires. I remember both wires for mod came from this plug, which is the other 12v wire?

Thanks Again!
LR

Last edited by LRsCarreraS; 11-13-2023 at 11:51 AM.
Old 11-13-2023, 12:05 PM
jay@EZimmoblock.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by LRsCarreraS
So to be 100% clear. One wire would but a t-tap/splice into BR/WH wire out of the black plug, not the yellow plug and to what ever you want to run on 20sec timer. In that same plug is there a constant 12v wire (assuming so). Did the footwell lighting before and just didn’t take pic of which wires. I remember both wires for mod came from this plug, which is the other 12v wire?

Thanks Again!
LR
Everything you said is correct.
There is 12v on the same connector (pin 1), but it's UNFUSED. If you tap off that pin, an in-line fuse should be added.

Quick Reply: How to Wire Up Footwell Lights