Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Audi S4 vs 993 and cheat on you.

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 12:23 AM
pegdrag
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Audi S4 vs 993 and cheat on you.

So I picked up an Audi S4 as a daily driver and I've been cheating on you guys over on the Audi forums.

Dang, the tuning options are insane on the S4 and the car is a blast.

2015 S4, Glacier White/Black, 6MT, Sport Diff, driver assist.

It will never be the the 993, however.

I didn't need another slippery slope, however.
Old 05-18-2015, 01:58 AM
phoneyman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the SC S4s are great, especially with the sport diff. Nothing wrong with having a modern comfortable DD. Plus the Audi interior is second to none for the price range in my biased opinion.

What upgrades are you looking at? I've not heard from anybody that has chipped one yet.
Old 05-18-2015, 02:15 AM
pegdrag
Rennlist Member

The Audi boards are full of chip threads. They have dyno charts and pre/post chip runs on drag strips.

As an example, the Revo stage 1+ revision takes the the S4 from 333 bhp to in the range of 415bhp and torque from 325 to 405. The discussion seems to suggest that all the ECU reprogramming software is basically the same and programmed through the port.

Other stuff is just like the 993...lower it, change suspension, etc. I just got the dang thing so it is too early to start redoing it....but its fun to think about it all.

Here is an interesting clip from Chris Harris on an older Audi vs a new RS using the Revo reprogramming. Its stunning (and the reprogramming is fairly cheap in want to run on 91/93 octane)

Old 05-18-2015, 09:13 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

We have a 2014 A4 S-Line. It's been a absolutely fantastic car. Enjoy!

Andreas
Old 05-18-2015, 09:53 AM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

My wife's daily drivers have been Audi S4's since the MY00 with its 2.7tt. Yeah,, the newer 3.0 supercharged is a hoot. Software intervention ala Revo, APR, etc., and your ready for a party!

OP, nice taste in DD'rs !

PS , I miss our (my) MY95.5 UrS6 Avant a DD of ten years.... The uber ski wagen w/RS2 + 993tt brake enhancements - Stealth. .... +1 agreed, interiors none better.

PSS, just now watched the Mr. Chris Harris RS4 Avant 4.2 vs S4 Avant 3.0 (B8) piece.
Yikes,,, content, content with the SUPER CHARGE'd 3.0 .... Lighter in weight the 3.0 V6 from the RS4 V8 ??
Old 05-18-2015, 11:15 AM
eeterp
Racer

Originally Posted by pegdrag
2015 S4, Glacier White/Black, 6MT, Sport Diff, driver assist.
Nice options. It's not easy to find MT w/ sport diff. Congrats!
Old 05-18-2015, 11:29 AM
pegdrag
Rennlist Member

Yeah, the Harris video is pretty impressive.
Old 05-18-2015, 01:41 PM
Dr. Ferdinand
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 129 Posts

Good choice for a daily, and as you said, many slippery slope options. I have a B7 RS 4 as a DD, and high strung quattro cars fit the bill perfectly for such duties!
Old 05-19-2015, 03:59 AM
phoneyman
Rennlist Member

When working towards a chip, read up on how the stealership can tell if you "tamper" with the ECU now-a-days. Back in 2012 I read a lot of VW/Audi forum posts about the ways someone can tell an ECU has been chipped. Cant remember exactly what its called. Hopefully the tuners have found a way around that to not void the warranty, and not make the customer pay out the can for a Statis official tuned chip which is 4x the price.
Old 05-19-2015, 09:55 AM
Dr. Ferdinand
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by phoneyman
When working towards a chip, read up on how the stealership can tell if you "tamper" with the ECU now-a-days. Back in 2012 I read a lot of VW/Audi forum posts about the ways someone can tell an ECU has been chipped. Cant remember exactly what its called. Hopefully the tuners have found a way around that to not void the warranty, and not make the customer pay out the can for a Statis official tuned chip which is 4x the price.
Yup, this is formally called/flagged by Audi as "TD1". Boards are full of examples, and pretty sad stories of folks buying cars (even from dealers) that have been flagged as TD1 during prior owner's possession and warranty does not hold.

One of many threads you can find on Vortex/Audizi e/Quatrroworls:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...-warranty-flag

STaSIS btw is defunt, company folded and does not exist any more. Revo bought itself out and continues to operate, but going to the dealer asking for a Stasis product is a thing of the past.
Old 05-20-2015, 12:07 AM
pegdrag
Rennlist Member

Default Chip reset

I think that the TDI flag has been defeated by the tuners, however you have to have it reset to the factory settings, which costs.

What I'm quite unclear about is the use of the devices to reset the tune. I see that you can use a "dongle" to reset it to factory spec, but I think that still leaves it flagged. You have to actually reinstall the factory settings, not use the dongle to match factory settings.

I had the 993 chipped years ago (I've got the stock chip in a box in the garage!) and its a bit more drivable, but there is no 75 to 100 HP bump, thus the appeal is less.

I have seen the ads for the cayman/boxter chipping from APR with a big HP/Torque increase, but haven't looked for any track times.

It is going to be interesting to see the new engines from Porsche with turbos in a few years. I hate the idea of it, but suspect the actuality will be fine and we'll have raging debates about tuning the Porsche chips.

Still, in stock form, the S4 is FAST enough.
Old 05-20-2015, 03:17 AM
phoneyman
Rennlist Member

Its pretty amazing what can be done by just raising the boost pressure a few PSI. The part I appreciated the most about chipping my A4's was there was an *actual* increase in mileage, though only 2-3 mpg on the highway. But when you needed the extra HP it was there and in a hurry. Cant say the same thing for the 911, but its still 80+ HP over what my B5 A4 had even after the chip. Went APR stage 3 with that and it still didnt feel the same as the 993.

The stock S4 ratings seem great for a DD and still get great mileage. If I had one I think Id work on suspension and wheels before I even thought about more power. Keep it reliable and warrant-able and slap some miles on it!
Old 05-20-2015, 09:57 AM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Welcome to the club! Audis and Porsches are a great Combo. I'm on my fourth Audi as DD. I also have a loaded Prestige 2013 S4 6MT with Sport Diff. My 993 comes out to play on weekends and special occasions.

I recently added the Chipwerk piggy back which makes the car much fun to drive. 0-60 comes well under 4 seconds now. Not bad for a sedan. No TD1 either as you just remove the harness before taking it to service and there is no sign of anything has been changed. ECU remains intact and all logs show normal. Check out the so far 47 pages long thread on Audizine for all the details.
Old 05-20-2015, 10:33 AM
Kacey
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a friend of mine that owns Unitronic has a 2011 S4 with exhaust, pully and software and it dynos 495hp.
Old 05-20-2015, 11:23 AM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by cabrio993
Welcome to the club! Audis and Porsches are a great Combo. I'm on my fourth Audi as DD. I also have a loaded Prestige 2013 S4 6MT with Sport Diff. My 993 comes out to play on weekends and special occasions.

I recently added the Chipwerk piggy back which makes the car much fun to drive. 0-60 comes well under 4 seconds now. Not bad for a sedan. No TD1 either as you just remove the harness before taking it to service and there is no sign of anything has been changed. ECU remains intact and all logs show normal. Check out the so far 47 pages long thread on Audizine for all the details.
Link? Can't seem to find it on the search.

Quick Reply: Audi S4 vs 993 and cheat on you.