Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

OT - Vacation to Italy! Suggestions welcomed!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 04:07 PM
bcameron59
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Agreed, perhaps the only rule both the Italians and Germans both agree on is LEFT LANE IS FOR PASSING ONLY.

Something I wish north americans could understand.
Old 06-16-2015, 05:21 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,372 Likes on 794 Posts

Oh yes, good point. If you snooze for too long in the left lane, you will have someone run up on you at about a 85kph closing speed. There is no middle ground. Either you go about the speedlimit, or you do about 80kph more. My 85hp fiat 500 diesel preferred the speed limit.
Old 06-16-2015, 05:57 PM
jotaking
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jskylarwilson
Hi All,

I'm taking a two week trip to Italy starting June 21st, and would love to meet any fellow 993 owners while there. I'll be (in order of) in Positano, Capri, Florence (Including a day trip to Tuscany), Cinque Terre, Lake Como, Venice, and Rome.

I'd love to meet up if anyone is around! Also, I'd love any recommendations from the group here on places to eat, things to see, tour groups, guides, wineries, pointers on getting ahead of lines... whatever!

Thank you!

Whilst in Venice....take a trip to the hotel Danielle. You can soak up the sun overlooking the gran canal on the roof top terrace.
Great to watch the cruise ships pass by and one of the best vantage points in the city!
Need a fat wallet at 7 euros for a small bottle of Peroni (you get a bowl of crisps and nuts as well). Well worth it for a lazy afternoon in the sun.
Old 06-16-2015, 07:27 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,389 Likes on 2,510 Posts

When you see a pretty lady, pinch her ***. They like that over there. All the locals do it.
Old 06-16-2015, 07:41 PM
bcameron59
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LexVan
When you see a pretty lady, pinch her ***. They like that over there. All the locals do it.
Let us know what jail you end up in and we'll come visit. I'll use any excuse to visit Italy.
Old 06-16-2015, 08:19 PM
Endoman
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
I don't know where and when you were but prepare to receive a stinging slap across the face if you try that one.
Old 06-16-2015, 08:45 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,372 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by Endoman
I don't know where and when you were but prepare to receive a stinging slap across the face if you try that one.
I see your humor and sarcasm meter is broken. Would you like a quote to repair it?
Old 06-16-2015, 09:02 PM
PRSWILL
Rennlist Member

Received 442 Likes on 292 Posts
Thumbs up

lol
Old 06-16-2015, 09:19 PM
bcameron59
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
I see your humor and sarcasm meter is broken. Would you like a quote to repair it?
Don't bother repairing it, just buy a replacement by URO. Almost as good, and a whole lot cheaper.
Old 06-17-2015, 05:34 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,389 Likes on 2,510 Posts

Originally Posted by bcameron59
Let us know what jail you end up in and we'll come visit. I'll use any excuse to visit Italy.
Good to know. I would not do well in jail. I'm a pretty boy.
Old 06-17-2015, 08:34 PM
Bully67
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you travel north from the Cinque Terra to Milan take a detour to the Piedmonte . . . slow down and enjoy the journey. Drive up to La Morra and have a glass of wine at Belvedere overlooking the countryside, drive to Castiglione Falletto for lunch with locals at Terrazza de Renza - no menu, everybody gets whatever was made that day, any wine will do & have a glass for me. Get a table with an sun umbrella - great story but trust me. If you really want to venture off the beaten path through the little country roads have lunch at La Coccinella in Serravalle Langhe - life will be forever changed. If you go this route be sure you get a reservation (email) - only a few tables which won't be full but that is the way it is done.

If you want details on winery tasting drop me a PM.
Old 06-22-2015, 06:09 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think anyone mentioned Pompeii?!? That, along with St. Peter's (Vatican), the Forum and the Blue Grotto on Capri seem to have made the most lasting impressions on me from my trip to Campania, Lazio and Toscana.

I try to to chose my own path when I travel, so my biggest "problem" with Tuscany in the summer is that it is overrun by Americans on holiday. Pisa was waay too touristy, with all of the associated street vendors, but Siena was cool. To that end, I really enjoyed the south and Amalfi Coast, including Sorrento (Campania)...where the Italians go on vacation. Too bad I missed the museum of national history in Naples.

Originally Posted by bcameron59
Agreed, perhaps the only rule both the Italians and Germans both agree on is LEFT LANE IS FOR PASSING ONLY.

Something I wish north americans could understand.
Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Oh yes, good point. If you snooze for too long in the left lane, you will have someone run up on you at about a 85kph closing speed. There is no middle ground. Either you go about the speedlimit, or you do about 80kph more. My 85hp fiat 500 diesel preferred the speed limit.
Driving: I almost cried after trying to drive for 10 minutes on the outskirts of Rome. The Autostrada was quite civilized, however. I loved the lane discipline: my little 5-speed Citroen C5 knew its place, and we dipped into the #1 lane for passing only. If only, IF ONLY, Americans and my fellow Angelos had a clue on this, we could eliminate 80% of traffic congestion. I try flashing my lights behind the occasional California Prius parked in the #1 lane, and usually they double down asserting their "right" to the lane, nothing changes and I'M the *******! I contend that the Italians (and likely Germans) get more cars down a two lane highway than Americans can fit in a six lane freeway

The least American-style car I ever rented was also my favorite: the 5-speed Seat Ibiza diesel that I had in Barcelona and Menorca, Spain:
Attached Images  

Last edited by dcdude; 03-26-2016 at 10:29 AM.
Old 06-24-2015, 09:43 AM
01coccobet
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

late call from me
but I am near Ravenna (south of Venice).
I would be glad to meet you or suggest something
Old 06-25-2015, 01:13 AM
knorrena
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I agree about Pompeii. Exactly a year ago today I was there and it was fantastic.

I went to Maranello and rented a Ferrari for the afternoon. Not cheap, but what an experience. The museum was amazing. Saw a few Paganis too.
Old 06-25-2015, 09:30 PM
Parnelli
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

CAPRI !! My favorite place on the planet. That and The Amalfi Coast rock !!

Quick Reply: OT - Vacation to Italy! Suggestions welcomed!