Sponsored by: DashLynx

Any BMW M(4) owners on here?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 10:13 PM
Tony.CO
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Any BMW M(4) owners on here?

I know there are a few BMW folks on here, and felt it couldn't hurt to ask.

I am considering a BMW M4 as a fun around the town car. This one to be exact.

http://www.isringhausen.com/Inventor...ehicleID/12837

I was hoping someone who knows these cars can give me the skinny on the good & bad. Seems like a hoot to drive, BMW seems to be sticking to MSRP pricing.

Thanks
Attached Images  
Old 07-08-2015, 10:29 PM
quacktoduck
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i dont own one but i have driven one on the street and the track.

good car even gas mileage wise and looks to boot.

only way i would swing one right now is buying a low mileage used example as the BMW M cars plummet in depreciation. i have a buddy selling one in Socal for arounfd the 65k mark and hes had it for about 6 months now. he preferes his old 996 GT3 on the track.
Old 07-08-2015, 10:41 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony.CO
I know there are a few BMW folks on here, and felt it couldn't hurt to ask.

I am considering a BMW M4 as a fun around the town car. This one to be exact.

http://www.isringhausen.com/Inventor...ehicleID/12837

I was hoping someone who knows these cars can give me the skinny on the good & bad. Seems like a hoot to drive, BMW seems to be sticking to MSRP pricing.

Thanks
the internet is full of reviews in print and on video for the new m3/m4 -- finding out the 'skinny' isn't hard
Old 07-08-2015, 10:45 PM
goin2drt
Race Car

Received 700 Likes on 385 Posts

I owned an E92. Completely different than the new model. I didn't like mine and only owmed it for less than a year. Not sure why anyone would buy this car in a manual unless you were a purist and was going to track it. The DCT is way better IMO.
Old 07-08-2015, 11:03 PM
Tony.CO
Racer

Originally Posted by quacktoduck
i dont own one but i have driven one on the street and the track.

good car even gas mileage wise and looks to boot.

only way i would swing one right now is buying a low mileage used example as the BMW M cars plummet in depreciation. i have a buddy selling one in Socal for arounfd the 65k mark and hes had it for about 6 months now. he preferes his old 996 GT3 on the track.
Depreciation sucks worse than most it sounds. Cost of depreciation I'm ok with if its fun and worth the value...if not then its just money thrown away..thanks

Originally Posted by golfnutintib
the internet is full of reviews in print and on video for the new m3/m4 -- finding out the 'skinny' isn't hard
This is the internet...exactly why I'm asking. I can read another fcking 150 articles or talk directly to 993 owners that drive them and I have known for last 4-5 years.

Originally Posted by goin2drt
I owned an E92. Completely different than the new model. I didn't like mine and only owmed it for less than a year. Not sure why anyone would buy this car in a manual unless you were a purist and was going to track it. The DCT is way better IMO.
Interesting...I thought it would be a hoot to drive in a manual..0-60 in less than 4 secs, $70k price range. Good to know on the DCT, I'll read up a bit more on that..thanks
Old 07-08-2015, 11:11 PM
Rick-A-Shay
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ummmm…… I have a M235i which is smaller but quite a "pocket rocket" if you switch into sport mode. Delayed shift, stiffens suspension. I believe that 0-60 is about 4.3 sec. It's a "wanna be" M to many but goes like stink if you ask it to….. Just saying…...
Old 07-08-2015, 11:14 PM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony.CO
I am considering a BMW M4 as a fun around the town car.
Hi Tony - long time.

Seven speed DCT is awesome for an around the town car.

It shifts faster than I ever could.

That would be my recommendation.

Great color!

Best,

Al
Old 07-09-2015, 01:31 AM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

Received 1,371 Likes on 514 Posts

I have an E92 M3 in manual. Great daily driver that can also be a fun weekend driver. Hate automatics so no interest in the DCT although I'm sure it is competent. I prefer the E90x generation over the current F80 versions because I like the high revving NA V8 over the turbo I6. They are good cars though.
Old 07-09-2015, 08:17 AM
JZ98-993
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

It's my daily driver, I've owned every generation and this one is by far the best for an all around daily driver car / fun car due to the torque profile. I'm one of the few that opt'd for the manual and I'm glad I did, it's the best bmw manual transmission I can remember and they definitely spent time engineering a proper 'box for the car. Can't go wrong either way
Old 07-09-2015, 02:11 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 513 Likes on 189 Posts

Tony, I have not driven the new M3 but rented a 220d with the M package in Germany earlier this year. I absolutely loved the car. The suspension was superb for a road car. Power from a 2 liter turbo diesel was quite good and boy was it economical!!

Very pleasing to the eye exterior, the interior had great ergonomics, the seats were awesome. The one thing I couldn't get over was the turn stalk. It's digital, not mechanical and was driving me nuts. But I suppose you can get used to that. The engine shut off when you stop was annoying but I figured out how to turn that "feature" off. And getting the radio to shuffle my iPhone songs was impossible. I had to listen to AC/DC, Agnostic Front, and Anthrax in that order all the way from Stuttgart to the Nurburgring. But we got there in no time!

Name:  E64E642E-A4F1-4A17-82A8-ACA9A520E007_zps0hwe0cde.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  202.9 KB

It goes pretty quick and kills bugs pretty fast... Very good looking too. I never liked the previous generation 3 series, this reminds me more of the E46.

Name:  63134821-375E-4966-947C-4FDB89A73E8E_zpssxqfys6u.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  151.5 KB

Name:  D6955889-4832-438D-8646-EE651C4F1D5E_zpsielkenai.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  166.8 KB

I also enjoyed the display in the windshield. Tells you the posted speed limit along with your speed, navigation instructions, and I'm sure other things. Little gizmos like that made for a more enjoyable drive. Not sure if I'd use them constantly in the long term, but they were fun to explore.

Hope this helps! The internet has spoken
Old 07-09-2015, 06:00 PM
Tony.CO
Racer

Thanks guys for the feedback! Car is in Ill, I'm in Colorado...so no but in seat in that particular car. Saturday I hope for a local test drive.

Originally Posted by Rick-A-Shay
Ummmm…… I have a M235i which is smaller but quite a "pocket rocket" if you switch into sport mode. Delayed shift, stiffens suspension. I believe that 0-60 is about 4.3 sec. It's a "wanna be" M to many but goes like stink if you ask it to….. Just saying…...
Awesome thanks Rick! I have to respect the whole manual vs DCT preferences, and I get people favor one over the other. Good to hear your experiences and sounds like a ton a fun.

Originally Posted by Cemoto
Hi Tony - long time.

Seven speed DCT is awesome for an around the town car.

It shifts faster than I ever could.

That would be my recommendation.

Great color!

Best,

Al
Hi Al, hope all is well and sounds like your +1 for the DCT. I was hoping you would respond knowing you have the 135is and seem to really enjoy it. I can't help but want to try some other German engineering and a M series just seems to have the entire package (outside of Porsche). Thanks!

Originally Posted by RudyP
I have an E92 M3 in manual. Great daily driver that can also be a fun weekend driver. Hate automatics so no interest in the DCT although I'm sure it is competent. I prefer the E90x generation over the current F80 versions because I like the high revving NA V8 over the turbo I6. They are good cars though.
I got an email from a dealer stating he didn't care for the piped in engine noise in some sportier settings with the DCT...not sure exactly what that meant but looking into it. Appreciate the response

Originally Posted by JZ98-993
It's my daily driver, I've owned every generation and this one is by far the best for an all around daily driver car / fun car due to the torque profile. I'm one of the few that opt'd for the manual and I'm glad I did, it's the best bmw manual transmission I can remember and they definitely spent time engineering a proper 'box for the car. Can't go wrong either way
Nice! Sounds like I'm on the right track.

Originally Posted by ilko
Tony, I have not driven the new M3 but rented a 220d with the M package in Germany earlier this year. I absolutely loved the car. The suspension was superb for a road car. Power from a 2 liter turbo diesel was quite good and boy was it economical!!

Very pleasing to the eye exterior, the interior had great ergonomics, the seats were awesome. The one thing I couldn't get over was the turn stalk. It's digital, not mechanical and was driving me nuts. But I suppose you can get used to that. The engine shut off when you stop was annoying but I figured out how to turn that "feature" off. And getting the radio to shuffle my iPhone songs was impossible. I had to listen to AC/DC, Agnostic Front, and Anthrax in that order all the way from Stuttgart to the Nurburgring. But we got there in no time!

It goes pretty quick and kills bugs pretty fast... Very good looking too. I never liked the previous generation 3 series, this reminds me more of the E46.

I also enjoyed the display in the windshield. Tells you the posted speed limit along with your speed, navigation instructions, and I'm sure other things. Little gizmos like that made for a more enjoyable drive. Not sure if I'd use them constantly in the long term, but they were fun to explore.

Hope this helps! The internet has spoken
Hi Ilko! Great info and loved the pics. The heads up display looks great and to your point, the interior fit and finish and exterior lines make this a sharp car. I will read up on the "turn stalk" a bit more. I have a tendency to buy on emotion...(no **** right ) and the car is talking to me like one of those voices in the Harry Potter movies. I may have no choice but to buy it. I'm going to test drive both the manual and DCT though on Saturday, see if that helps point me to one or the other.

Great response and big help, thank you. Internet out (insert mic drop video here).

BTW, at least it wasn't Justin Bieber, Taylor Swift and Ariana Grande during that road trip...it may have soured the entire BMW experience.
Old 07-09-2015, 06:39 PM
quacktoduck
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

drove another one today. i liked the convertable that i drove. def you can hear the exhaust with the valves open.

only gripe was the car i drove had sloppy suspension that i would change for coilovers

Only thing i might want is some tuning and Euro MDM on it and i would be happy
Old 07-09-2015, 07:26 PM
ToSi
Burning Brakes

Received 82 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by RudyP
How does the Vantage drive compared vs. the M3?
Old 07-09-2015, 07:51 PM
Reddy Kilowatt
Rennlist Member

What are you looking for? A cruiser? A fun little car? Somewhere in the middle? Personally, the E46 M3s and the Z3 M Coupes are way more interesting to me than the new stuff, and the performance penalty for saving $20-40k isn't very high. Heck, even the E92s can be had for very attractive prices. An amazing white on red M3 just sold here on RL for south of $40k (https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...le-norcal.html). I'll do that all day long over a new one.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:16 PM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Isn't the S65 rod bearing problem pretty scarry? I love to get a E90 m3, but the rod bearing issue is preventing me from picking one up. 1 in ~600 engine has a problem. WTH??

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=935368

Quick Reply: Any BMW M(4) owners on here?