Sponsored by: DashLynx

1996 993 California Smog Fail -- Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2015, 02:22 PM
zellamsee
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 36 Posts
Default 1996 993 California Smog Fail -- Help

I have a 1996 993 Coupe with approximately 40,000 miles on the clock. I have owned the car for 17 years now. I live in California, and as a result, my car needs to pass a smog test every two years. Recently, it failed on account of the hydro-carbon reading being too high (not by much, though). The car was hot/warm during the test.

I understand that it is almost impossible for one of these OBD-II cars to fail an emissions test without having fault codes in memory. I will have my dealer double check for fault codes to confirm that there are none. The Check Engine Light is not on and it does light up when I first turn the key, then goes out when the car starts. The car runs strong, smooth and doesn't smell. It consumes very little oil.

I replaced the plugs and the dual ignition distributor about four years ago. Also about four years ago I did a pressure test just to check the health of the engine -- all cylinders were about 4%, except cylinder #4 which measured at 10%. I cannot imagine that I have a burnt valve and no check engine light. The OBD-II system is super picky . . . . But, perhaps a valve is the culprit here? An oil change was done less than a year ago.

I am attaching an image from the smog "fail" report.

Any insights as to what to do here much appreciated!

Attachment 953064

Last edited by zellamsee; 09-21-2015 at 02:12 PM.
Old 07-11-2015, 02:36 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,373 Likes on 794 Posts

get the car screaming hot. I mean run it HARD and schedule your appointment so that you can get in immediately. That should solve your problem.
Old 07-11-2015, 02:56 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Good advice from Quadcammer. I would also follow those words up by a long drive (to get it hot) with a good fuel additive in the tank.

I've had excellent results with these issues since 1985 using a cocktail of LubroMoly Jectron and Ventil Sauber together. These products do a good job of cleaning injectors and the soft carbon buildups on the back of the intake valves. One can of each product into a near empty tank, fill it up and go for that hard drive.
Old 07-11-2015, 03:32 PM
bruce7
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Agree with getting the car hot before testing and occasional use of gasoline
additives mentioned.

Here is my test results from last fall. HC is quite a bit lower than you tested. And
this is before I replaced plugs, wires, caps/rotors, valve lifters and cleaned the
fuel injectors.

I would check for vacuum leaks which are common on this engine.

Also, here is some technical information related to the gas readings you might find
interesting: http://www.ratwell.com/mirror/interro/techgas.html

Last edited by bruce7; 07-12-2015 at 01:19 PM.
Old 07-11-2015, 04:35 PM
Dan V
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Others have had success with alcohol:

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...l#post10306874

I did same as Ted with my '97 w/114K mi back in Jan, and although I probably would have passed without it, I can confirm that it doesn't do any harm.
Old 07-11-2015, 08:19 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

I would never use any additional alcohol in the fuel unless I was trying to rid the system of excess water. There are FAR better additives to use for other purposes and you really don't want to deal with any untended consequences.
Old 07-12-2015, 02:24 PM
stuttgart1
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000CIPUR8?vs=1

Give this a try, I always pour a bottle before i go amog. You can get them at Walmart, Autozone, O'Reilly.
Old 07-12-2015, 03:12 PM
zellamsee
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 36 Posts

Thanks for all of the replies.
Old 07-13-2015, 12:07 AM
Shtootgart
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stuttgart1
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000CIPUR8?vs=1

Give this a try, I always pour a bottle before i go amog. You can get them at Walmart, Autozone, O'Reilly.
Says "not VOC compliant in CA" , did they ship it to you in California ?
Old 07-13-2015, 11:08 AM
goldcountryboy
Three Wheelin'

The last time I passed I had the technicians do a pre check. They hook it up to the machine and run the idle up until it's smoking hot. I passed with flying colors after I had failed pryer.
It's a good idea to change your oil right before the test also.
Old 07-13-2015, 01:15 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

It's a good idea to change your oil right before the test also.
I concur with getting a things good and hot via a long drive, with a full tank of gas and additives as Steve W suggests; but I'm at a loss, as well as curious as to why this is a good idea?

If anything, I'd change the oil AFTER running the tank of fuel with the additives; but that's just me...
Old 07-14-2015, 01:15 AM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Just register it in a non-smog county and be done with these worthless, smog reducing programs that have absolutely no effect on harmful emissions. Our cars are not driven enough to even make a dent in what the millions (if not billions) of gross polluters out there that squeak through the cracks of the fine CA DMV and CARB systems.
Old 07-14-2015, 02:23 AM
Shtootgart
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OverBoosted28
Just register it in a non-smog county and be done with these worthless, smog reducing programs that have absolutely no effect on harmful emissions. Our cars are not driven enough to even make a dent in what the millions (if not billions) of gross polluters out there that squeak through the cracks of the fine CA DMV and CARB systems.
I like the idea of having older cars get a pass. Of course, that won't happen because these tests are big money makers for the DMV
Old 07-14-2015, 08:56 PM
doublecabmel
Three Wheelin'

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Ca is absolutely the worst for this stuff. Even though the car blows low levels of emissions, they always get you for something else- for me it's the stupid rediness codes. All of my cars that are obd2 (993, 430 Ferrari, 360 Ferrari, etc) all fail miserably. It's so annoying. Wholesale dealer plates are probably the best way to go.
Old 07-14-2015, 10:59 PM
goldcountryboy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by nine9six
I concur with getting a things good and hot via a long drive, with a full tank of gas and additives as Steve W suggests; but I'm at a loss, as well as curious as to why this is a good idea?

If anything, I'd change the oil AFTER running the tank of fuel with the additives; but that's just me...
I copied this from a car forum
It most certainly can give you better results..... Have you ever heard of blow-by??? Open up your oil filler cap when the engine is running. Feel the air coming from the crank case??? That is exhaust, or blow-by. If your exhaust can enter the crank case with the engine oil, then the engine oil can be contaminated with unburned fuel. This blow by gets sucked right back into the engine by way of PCV valve. Have you ever changed your oil and felt like the engine is running 100% better???? Think about it.

Quick Reply: 1996 993 California Smog Fail -- Help