SF Bay Area Dealer Advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 08:57 PM
PNogC2S
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default SF Bay Area Dealer Advice

Hi guys,
I used to be active on the board a few years ago and have sort of strayed away – busy w/other interests, etc.
Anyway, I’m thinking of consigning a car for sale with a place in SF called Cars Dawydiak and was hoping to get opinions about them from anyone who has dealt with them in the past. They have suggested marketing my car at a pretty strong price, but I don’t want it to sit for months once I decide to sell. They’ve been around for a while and always have a pretty good selection of nice cars, but their inventory doesn’t seem to move very quickly – just not sure if they are considered “good guys” or not…I’ve never heard strong opinions either way on the RL board.
I’m being intentionally vague about the details because I don’t want to be accused of trying to start an auction or pricing thread or anything… just looking for opinions on consigning with Dawydiak.
Thanks
Old 07-16-2015, 09:32 PM
JonnyIndy
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm a bit of a neophyte around here, but I've lived in San Francisco for 25 years, and I've had some experience with Dawidiak. From several years ago when I was just looking to just last week when I went there looking for a 993/964 to buy. My experience with them has been mixed at best, some good interactions with sales people, some sales people blatantly ignoring every person on the floor.....

With regards to consignments, my impression is their goal is to shield the owner from the public, and sell the cars at a premium. Actually it seems like they sell all their cars at a premium, the difference between consignments and their cars is that they seem to do an enormous amount of work to make their cars look great, while the consigned cars are what they are.

On a positive note, I think they are a great resource for someone looking to experience these cars, although ultimately I do not think I will buy a car from them for a variety of reasons. That being said, there are a lot of people in the Bay Area with more money than sense, and my guess is that they go to Dawydiak to find the cool cars, and will pay their prices. I think I will go the private purchase route myself...
Old 07-16-2015, 09:57 PM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I haven't sold or purchased a car through Dawydiak, but I've certainly gone in to ogle their inventory now and then. My father looked into consigning one of his early 911s with them years back. I remember his saying they wanted a rather large % for handling the consignment of the car.

If you're considering selling your 993, I doubt you'd have much trouble finding a buyer through your own means in this market.
Old 07-16-2015, 10:58 PM
Rick-A-Shay
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I recently sold a 356 thru SF Sports Cars in San Carlos. They are very fair, in my opinion. The owner, Brad, lives and breaths cars and is very knowledgable. Sam, his sales associate used to work at Cars Dawidiak and makes every effort to accommodate sellers and buyers. Checkout their website. They have quite variety of cars.
Old 07-16-2015, 11:15 PM
msw
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 14 Posts

+1 Brad/SF Sports Cars
Old 07-17-2015, 01:51 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,487 Likes on 2,271 Posts

+3 on brad and sam at SF sportscars.
cars Dawydiak was good 15 years ago. now.... not so much
Old 07-17-2015, 02:06 AM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Walter Dawydiak is a good guy, very competent, but not sure how closely he runs his daily business operations any more. The quality of his employees is variable. Not necessarily a major fault, it is not easy running a smallish, people intensive business in the Bay Area.

Sam at SF Motorcars is a really good guy too... he is younger and hungrier than Walter at this point. I knew him when he worked for Walter and he impressed me. I think he will work very hard to please.

Both companies will serve you well I think. Just need to get a feel for who you would be dealing with and who would 'own' your piece of business at the two shops.
Old 07-17-2015, 03:20 PM
PNogC2S
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sounds like SF Sportscars is the place to go.

Thanks to all for the help!
Old 07-17-2015, 08:14 PM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by PNogC2S
Sounds like SF Sportscars is the place to go.

Thanks to all for the help!
Good decision.

I used to love driving by/stopping in when Dawydiak was on Franklin, however I also found them lacking in knowledge, unlike Brad at SF Sportcars, who is as passionate as any one of us.
Old 07-17-2015, 09:15 PM
mister993
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OP, what car are you selling, just curious?
Old 07-18-2015, 05:27 AM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sfsc is the better choice by far.

I would also consider selling your own if you have the time. If the car is good, an ad on RL is all it just may take.

Good luck!
Old 07-18-2015, 10:30 AM
MarinS4
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 121 Posts

I give SF sports cars the thumbs up too!
Old 07-18-2015, 02:08 PM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by mister993
OP, what car are you selling, just curious?
How was this question avoided until the 9th post? I'm sure all of his previous posts from 2005 have been reviewed and any relevant 993 information extrapolated. He's probably received PM's, emails and calls at home from the Bear out West and the other gun for hire back East by now offering to buy whatever he's got, wired asap...
Old 07-19-2015, 01:45 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by JDHertz11
How was this question avoided until the 9th post? I'm sure all of his previous posts from 2005 have been reviewed and any relevant 993 information extrapolated. He's probably received PM's, emails and calls at home from the Bear out West and the other gun for hire back East by now offering to buy whatever he's got, wired asap...
Lol, I thought the "Black" had been banned from Rennlist, yet saw another recent FS post...The ban musta been temporary.
Old 07-19-2015, 07:46 PM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by nine9six
Lol, I thought the "Black" had been banned from Rennlist, yet saw another recent FS post...The ban musta been temporary.
Because no one is in charge of this place! You know it's bad when these guys are the ones commenting on their competitors...

Quick Reply: SF Bay Area Dealer Advice